Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Examples of extreme frugality!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 9:23 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Don't lots of people do this? Why waste Shabbos food?

Lots of people do this perhaps, but if the food is for example fish and has the likelihood that it may have already soured, or its vegetables growing mould, regular people dont eat it. Except people like my father who cant bear to throw anything out and wont buy more fresh food until every last bit has been consumed, fresh or not.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 9:26 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
In your case why wouldn’t you just use a tablecloth without a plastic cover on top?

So that in the event that a cup of wine tips over, the tablecloth does not become permanently destroyed?

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 9:42 pm
I wonder for all of those commenting on rich relatives who do XYZ that you are not comfortable with or think is miserly... maybe that is why they are wealthy? Because they don't waste resources and will spend the 5 seconds to squeeze the toothpaste tube one more time?
So many examples are used "but it only costs 10 cents" or "it isn't too expensive". But it does add up. We are allowed to wear sweaters in the home. It is good to reuse and recycle. Use up what you have before buying new.
I am on a community WhatsApp group where we give away stuff all the time. People just post specifics, sizes, and location and stuff gets taken. I have given away and gotten stuff. People give toys, books, clothing...

It is a mindset to waste not, want not.
Again, no one needs to wear ripped clothing just because it was free but decent second hand items?

Aurora

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:19 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
I wonder for all of those commenting on rich relatives who do XYZ that you are not comfortable with or think is miserly... maybe that is why they are wealthy? Because they don't waste resources and will spend the 5 seconds to squeeze the toothpaste tube one more time?
So many examples are used "but it only costs 10 cents" or "it isn't too expensive". But it does add up. We are allowed to wear sweaters in the home. It is good to reuse and recycle. Use up what you have before buying new.
I am on a community WhatsApp group where we give away stuff all the time. People just post specifics, sizes, and location and stuff gets taken. I have given away and gotten stuff. People give toys, books, clothing...

It is a mindset to waste not, want not.
Again, no one needs to wear ripped clothing just because it was free but decent second hand items?

This is how I was brought up. Save when possible - especially when "it's only a little bit." The little bits add up very, very, quickly.

My mom still tells the story of her grandfather's super-rich uncle (we are NOT the rich side of the family) who only drank water at restaurants - and from there the value got passed on as something to model.
Page 10 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 Recent Topics