Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o of frugality. How many garbage bags do u use per day?
1  2  3  Next

BusyBoys

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 9:32 am
For curiosity sake… seeing the vast differences of opinions..

I know much of it is based on family size, but many times it’s containers, disposables, etc that end up in your garbage bags..

How many bags do u go through in a day?

I generally use one every day or two.(13 gallon) for family of 6

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:40 am
I can't see spending money on garage bags, nyaa nyaa to the person who mocked using grocery bags as an example of dysfunctionality on that extreme frugality thread. I use grocery bags that I get free of charge and take them out every day. Sometimes twice a day if there's something really repulsive like diapers or perishables a few weeks past their prime iykwim. Pay for a big bag AND have the trash sitting in my kitchen putrefying and creating "house-itosis" to boot? Laugh if you like, I'm laughing last, all the way to the bank.

We have recycling, so I take my bag of recyclables and empty it into a bin.

I dread the day I run out of grocery bags and am forced to pay money for something to hold my trash. Could anything be more ridiculous?

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:43 am
Family of 5, we take out the trash every night. Generally 1 large trash bag every day. We recycle.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:45 am
It's 2 a day. But the days when I do major cleaning it's 3 or 4 depending on the area. I do not buy expensive bags. I recycle card board and big bottles.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:46 am
2-3

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:46 am
Family of 6. 30 gallon trash bags. 1 a day. I use a lot of disposables. It's the trade off for me being able to work. Also no recycling here so bottles go in the same bag

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:47 am
1-2 a day. Family of 5. I can’t imagine living without garbage bags. It really helps me declutter and keep my house clean. I can’t imagine adding in the stress of not having a place to put all the garbage I want to get rid of.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:48 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
I can't see spending money on garage bags, nyaa nyaa to the person who mocked using grocery bags as an example of dysfunctionality on that extreme frugality thread. I use grocery bags that I get free of charge and take them out every day. Sometimes twice a day if there's something really repulsive like diapers or perishables a few weeks past their prime iykwim. Pay for a big bag AND have the trash sitting in my kitchen putrefying and creating "house-itosis" to boot? Laugh if you like, I'm laughing last, all the way to the bank.

Who has a garbage bag sitting in their house for more than 12 hours?

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:51 am
amother Dandelion wrote:

I also use smaller shopping bags for garbage cans in bedrooms and bathrooms. It would get full in about five minutes in the kitchen. Obviously don't leave stinky stuff to sit and rot in your house all day, but otherwise garbage the doesn't smell and rot.

How many people do you have in your house, and what age ranges?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:51 am
I recently downsized my garbage can and instead of a 30 gallon bag , it only fits a 13 gallon bag. We use a lot of disposables. It’s usually 2 bags a day. Sometimes 3 if I do a lot of cooking. I guess 2-3.
I do think it’s a bit much but it’s life… in another few years my kids will IyH be married and I’ll probably only take out my garbage every 2 days..
so bH for garbage, I guess.

chestnut

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:54 am
Using shopping bags 😁 small family

amother
Cerulean

1-2 13 gal bags fot family of 4.

amother
Antiquewhite

My mother always used small grocery bags…. I hated it. Everything we threw out was scrutinized because it was taking up precious space.
I’m so happy to use large garbage bags and I try not to think about the garbage too much because my parents were obsessed with the garbage…. They were obsessed with recycling and everything about the garbage.

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:56 am
I use 1 tall kitchen bag per day. Not always full but our trash compactor isn’t large. Family of 4. No disposables.

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:59 am
Probably a bag every other other day- 13 gallon.

just me and DH

garbage bags in Costco are CHEAP.

ftm1234

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 11:32 am
1 for a family of 3

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 11:35 am
1 per regular day, family of 6
2 on erev shabbos and 3 on erev YT. We use a lot of disposables, but I'm starting to dip my toes into cutting down since we moved to a house with a dishwasher

Comptroller

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 11:39 am
1 garbage bag (10 gallon / 37l) in 2 weeks.
No small children, no diapers.
Bio-recycling takes care of biodegradable waste, that makes a big difference.

ETA:
Recycling for paper, cartons, PET, glass, aluminium.

Last edited by Comptroller on Tue, Jun 25 2024, 11:43 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 11:40 am
BusyBoys wrote:
For curiosity sake… seeing the vast differences of opinions..

I know much of it is based on family size, but many times it’s containers, disposables, etc that end up in your garbage bags..

How many bags do u go through in a day?

I generally use one every day or two.(13 gallon) for family of 6

One a day

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 11:59 am
Family of 4. 1 tall kitchen bag every day or 2. 1 full bag on Fridays.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics