Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Ways to help an extreme sensory seeker?

amother
OP  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 11:34 pm
My 5 year old is an extreme sensory seeker. His body literally does not register light or gentle touch.. everything is extreme hard forceful with him. When he gives hugs he knocks you over. When he climbs on my lap he literally launches himself on me to the point where he injures me. He does not register touch at all unless its strong. Hugs have to be full blown body slamming squeezing etc. For him to say ok now you hugged me.
He wants to playfully touch my cheek he punches me in the cheek his hand just does not know to slow down.
Problem is we are all getting beaten by him and his strong forceful touch.
The baby espc..I can never let him alone with her. He physically had no concept of how strong or hard his touch is. And also extremely touchy always touching people without realizing.
We are all going crazy. He has OT twice a week...
Is there ever a cure for this?? Will all the hard strong brushing, and shoulder rubbing, and squeezing, and strong hugging, and weighted vest wearing etc...the therapist told me to do ever see a result?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 11:47 pm
Yes it helps

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 11:51 pm
I would consider reflex integration, craniosacral therapy

Also you may want to look into gut healing, I've heard that dysbiosis can play into sensory processing dysfunction

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 12:55 am
Sounds like touch and movement as well. In addition to the sensory touch stuff, try adding in swinging (ask the OT too).

applepie

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 1:42 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
I would consider reflex integration, craniosacral therapy

Also you may want to look into gut healing, I've heard that dysbiosis can play into sensory processing dysfunction

Sorry for hijacking but how would this help

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 1:52 am
I have a friend whose daughter was similar to this, but I think to a somewhat lesser degree. Believe it or not a pogo stick really helped calm her down.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:38 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
Sounds like touch and movement as well. In addition to the sensory touch stuff, try adding in swinging (ask the OT too).

He does swinging and spinning at the OT...and swings at home also. I installed swings everywhere. From trees indoors outside swing set.
He can spin for hours and he never gets dizzy its crazy. The OT said shes never seen anything like it. Usually kids get dizzy at some point ...

I tried craniosacral it didnt change anything. How do I heal this wiggly squirmy never stop moving launching forceful child?

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:47 pm
sounds like you're doing A LOT for your child.
He's lucky to have a mom like you who's so invested!!

Hatzlacha and Hashem should help this should soon be a worry of the past...

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:53 pm
Have you done reflex integration?

Handsonparents

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
He does swinging and spinning at the OT...and swings at home also. I installed swings everywhere. From trees indoors outside swing set.
He can spin for hours and he never gets dizzy its crazy. The OT said shes never seen anything like it. Usually kids get dizzy at some point ...

I tried craniosacral it didnt change anything. How do I heal this wiggly squirmy never stop moving launching forceful child?

Disclaimer: As a neurodevelopmental OT, what I am sharing is only educational and not therapeutic.

If there is a tremendous need for fast vestibular movement and no nystagmus when that's happening (which is what the OT is probably seeing), his vestibular-ocular motor system is underdeveloped. The OT should try and work on his static balance. Slow, rotating movements.

Someone else mentioned reflex integration. I would not recommend you start there if his vestibular system is so underdeveloped, you want to address that first before tackling reflexes.

I hope this give you some insight.

I'm not normally on this site...just finishing up answering questions and messages but you can find more information on this topic by reaching out on what's app: https://wa.me/message/SANN3PPMAIVSH1 Hatzlacha!

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:11 pm
Wow thank you..
I will ask his OT about what you wrote..

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:27 pm
Throw the tomatoes... but my experience has been that twice a week therapy doesn't help much. You really need to do the exercises consistently the rest of the week... which is very hard to do.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 7:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 5 year old is an extreme sensory seeker. His body literally does not register light or gentle touch.. everything is extreme hard forceful with him. When he gives hugs he knocks you over. When he climbs on my lap he literally launches himself on me to the point where he injures me. He does not register touch at all unless its strong. Hugs have to be full blown body slamming squeezing etc. For him to say ok now you hugged me.
He wants to playfully touch my cheek he punches me in the cheek his hand just does not know to slow down.
Problem is we are all getting beaten by him and his strong forceful touch.
The baby espc..I can never let him alone with her. He physically had no concept of how strong or hard his touch is. And also extremely touchy always touching people without realizing.
We are all going crazy. He has OT twice a week...
Is there ever a cure for this?? Will all the hard strong brushing, and shoulder rubbing, and squeezing, and strong hugging, and weighted vest wearing etc...the therapist told me to do
ever see a result?

I found a hammock really helped
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics