Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Anyone made “extreme/drastic” changes long term?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 11:46 am
I’m 33 years old with 4 kids kah. Hoping to start to TTC in the next year iyh.

I’ve always been prone to headaches, stomachaches and the like. I’m quick to pop meds and don’t give it much attention.

On shushan purim this year I was feeling so horrible about my weight (wanted to lose approx 20 lbs) and on that day I decided to stick to a 1200 calorie diet. DH works EXTREMELY full times. Sleeps away from home often etc. I also work 25-30 hours per week. the only way I was able to pull this off was by preparing in bulk at the beginning of the week and eating the same things on repeat every single day. It took an enormous amount of self control but miraculously I was able to stick with this diet till now. I went from being a constant snacker and salt/junk food craver to never thinking about meals or snacks. I also had a lot more energy than I ever had in the past. I used to be a person who loved to nap but I found I was never tired during the day anymore .. I was also having a very easy time getting out of bed in the morning.
FF to now, I joined DH on a 3 day get away and the whole diet went out the window. Eating snacks, at restaurants etc. I feel absolutely horrible !! Had an unbearable stomach ache one entire day of the trip I’m feeling so tired and In a shleppy mood ..

So here’s my question- has anyone at my age/stage made such a long term and extreme commitment. Essentially going off almost all carbs, dairy, sugar and white flour ?

Any reading material that can help me? Thanks in advance!!!

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 12:12 pm
I'm 29.

I am off processed foods, dairy, wheat, corn, msg, coloring, and probably more for the last six years.

It wasn't gradual. It was very abrupt. I realized how toxic and bad those things were for me and made a decision to change.

Does that mean I NEVER eat it? No.
Does it mean I didn't have an off Shabbos or vacation? No
BUT! EVERY TIME I eat any of those foods the reactions are stronger and it helps me to remember that those things aren't good for me.

The thing I always tell myself is; just because you choose to eat XYZ now (or today) does not mean this is forever. I am choosing to eat it because ____ (simcha, party, date night etc) and tomorrow I will not eat those things.

I find that people get discouraged after indulging just once.

A donut never made anyone fat, just like a salad never made anyone skinny.

It's a process and a build up.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!!

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 3:47 pm
IME people who do OA/grey sheet do.
Maybe 1% manage it on their own.
Most of everyone else rebounds and regains.

You may be able to be part of the 1%, depending on what happens when you do eat off plan. If you can get right back to the strict lifestyle, you will be able to do it long term. If you go off an then blow it for week and regain all the weight, you will be one of those who cycles through bingeing and restricting and not be able to do it long term.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 4:01 pm
I have been completely off gluten and soy for about 9 years.
For 1 year, I have been off sugar, processed foods, refined carbs, potatoes, dairy, corn.
I feel great and have resolved so many health issues. But I haven't lost any weight, which I find quite upsetting.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 4:03 pm
Last august I was told my sugar levels were insane. I went cold turkey off sugar snacks. That had been my downfall. Cakes, cookies, candies, chocolates. And I teird to only have one slice of challah each meal. Only a cup of orange juice in the morning. A lot of nuts.
At about the half a year mark, I saw that I had lost about 12 kilo.
I have relaxed a few tiny things here and there but I havent had any sugary snacks since last august. That change has 100% stuck. I feel much better. I used to get dizzy and headaches often. Not anymore. I used to need an insane amount of water to drink. Now I drink about a liter a day.
The weight loss is very slow and I hit a plateau but rhe things I took out of my diet were and are for long term.

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 4:06 pm
I have been off ALL carbs for an entire two years.
No fruit, no rice, no potatoes, no bread, nothing.
No sugar, no fake sugar, no "diet ice pops" etc. because I find the fake sugar makes my mouth munchy which is uncomfortable.
I minimize my milk consumption, using almond milk in my coffee instead.
It's wonderful!
All my cravings have disappeared!
If I need a "fix" occasionally I'll have some Diet Coke but don't like to do it often. A bigger treat for me is a capuccino with lots of foam.
Not going to engage in anyone trying to diss me for this because I am so grateful to Hashem for giving me this plan and all my bloods are amazing, b"H!
I do not recommend this for everyone but for me, a chronic dieter since age 10, it's the best freedom. I no longer have "grey". I have black or white. Either I eat it (it's not a carb) or I don't.
In addition, though, I also am very strict with my portions because just getting off carbs does not equal weight loss.
I eat very healthy. Lots of vegetables (I do not limit veggies according to their carb content so I do eat carrots, peppers, tomatoes, and sometimes green beans). I eat fat with every meal but not a lot. I eat a nice amount of protein but it is measured.
I have been maintaining about a 70-pound weight loss for a year, lost it steadily over the first year.
I love it! Wouldn't want to go back to my old life for anything.
Good luck!

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 4:50 pm
Huh? So you went on a vacation from your diet. Now you can just get back on!

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 5:03 pm
Yes but....

I allow for yom tov, vacation, birthdays, anniversaries.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 5:27 pm
I've been off dairy & gluten for over 5 years. I right away saw a tremendous difference in my stomach issues. I also lost a lot of weight which I didn't think will happen. I'm still off these food groups, but unfortunately now it's not helping with my gi issues. Would love to hear from the ppl who are off sugar and others to give ideas.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 5:41 pm
Following.

I must lose and maintain an 80 lb loss due to being diagnosed with a life threatening diagnosis recently.

I’ve done keto, IF in the past but it’s impossible to stay on long term. At least for me.

So desperate here

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:49 pm
oish
hugs re threatening diagnosis
would you try fast metabolism?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise