Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Examples of extreme frugality!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
  Poinsettia  

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:21 am
amother Purple wrote:
You are quoting me when I specifically was talking about adults. Not toddlers, not newborns.

When adults are sweating away because they walked over in the heat and the a/c hasn't turned on yet, it is just as horrible. If you want your family to visit you need to keep your house at a semi-comfortable temperature.

amother
  Purple

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:40 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
When adults are sweating away because they walked over in the heat and the a/c hasn't turned on yet, it is just as horrible. If you want your family to visit you need to keep your house at a semi-comfortable temperature.

I agree. Please stop quoting me as if I said something that I didn't.

amother
  Poinsettia

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:48 am
amother Purple wrote:
I agree. Please stop quoting me as if I said something that I didn't.

Because we are talking about extremes here and you obviously aren't. My in-laws wear their coats and gloves in the house!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:50 am
amother Periwinkle wrote:
My father lives an extremely frugal life to the extreme.
He lives in a huge house, (on his own as my mother isnt alive anymore)
Sits with the lights off and the heating off, and only when extremely necessary will switch it on.
Doesnt use the oven to cook, doesnt use hot water for washing dishes, only when strictly necessary he will boil the kettle and use that (in his mind).
Doesnt use the washing machine too often.
Never throws things out as it could be useful to him (he is not a classic hoarder but does keep certain items).
Eats the leftovers from Shabbos for a few days after shabbos so as not to waste.

Its a terrible mindset and is detrimental to everyone around him.

Please tell me what's wrong with eating leftovers from Shabbos?
We never throw food unless it's gone bad and I know what amounts to cook for Shabbos.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:57 am
amother Black wrote:

(I was lurking until the - idiotic naive/clueless - comment about water "not running out" was posted. It astounds me that this statement was made by an adult. Can't Believe It )

As per the Barney song "We never let the water run" - makes absolute sense. I might be dating myself, but I recall drought warnings in NY. Watering lawns was limited. Even where water is plentiful, a lot of money goes into purifying it for home use.

Lol, I'm in my 20s, and I remember the drought warnings, and it being illegal to water the lawn.

hodeez

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 11:10 am
TIL I'm mentally ill.

Busybee5  

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 11:16 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Boiled eggs with shells on don't qualify as leaving eggs overnight - unless you peel them. People salt the water while boiling eggs because it's supposed to prevent the shells from cracking (although I don't find that it works).

I know, I like to have them ready peeled. Sometimes I mash them.

Busybee5

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 11:27 am
bsy wrote:
Maybe their underwear is very expensive and fixing it is a few dollars šŸ˜‚

Must be made out of gold! Tongue Out

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 1:37 pm
More examples:
Reusing matches and saving used matches for another time- when it needs to be put on from a fire source.

Asking on yom tov if my sons will eat from the apples she bought, and when I said they wonā€™t, she asked if I think she can return the 2 extra ones to the grocery after yom tov.

Only putting in a bulb in 1 of the 6 spotlights or 1 of the 8 bulbs in a light fixture so when you turn on the light you can barely see.

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 3:10 pm
Shoah survivors and their children, refugees and those who grew up with nothing are often pathological about reusing and not wasting.
Some examples- boiling chicken bones to get every bit off and eating every scrap of this until finished however many days later.
Reusing flimsy or broken plastic containers multiple times
Freezing the leftovers of every tiny bit eg 2 spoons of cooked rice.
Collecting the scraps of spice on chips or pretzels to use to sprinkle on salads.
Getting really upset by children wasting anything and insist on e/one clearing their plates.

This is a natural and understandable result of their childhood experiences and certainly from chikdren of shoal survivors is considered part of thr 2nd generation trauma.

However- I think the following are normal
- menu plan around shop sales
- reuse thick/fancy disposables if easily washed
- reuse good quality plastic containers esp those lovely serving ones which last months
- reuse or recycle all glass containers or jars
- use paper or washable/proper plates rather than plastic
- have the heat on a bit cooler and wear an extra layer
- turn off water in between use when washing up or teeth cleaning
- use grey water to water plants
- aim to avoid wasting food when possible eg not buy food to excess that will go to waste
- eat shab leftovers during the week
- air dry rather than use machine dryer.
- reuse plastic bags - so many uses

There is an element of caring for the environment - reuse, recycle etc which seems to have an inverse correlation to how "right wing" frum you are. Hashem gave us this beautiful world to look after, not to create trash mountains or islands in the Pacific made of microplastics and trash. This is worth making some effort to preserve, however uncomfortable or inconvenient.

For the record, I work 60 hours a week and still manage this.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:24 pm
After each Shabbos meal, MIL scrapes the leftovers from everyone's plates and puts them in the pan or pot they were made in so she could serve them for another meal. Even though dh didn't live with her for 20 years, he still refuses to eat leftovers for that reason (and I don't save other people's garbage). He also doesn't flush for #1 and my boys learned from him even though when I trained them, I taught them to flush.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:28 pm
cutting the moldy part off a piece of cheese and eating the rest

(does it for herself only though, not for other people)

amother
  Garnet  

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:29 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
After each Shabbos meal, MIL scrapes the leftovers from everyone's plates and puts them in the pan or pot they were made in so she could serve them for another meal. Even though dh didn't live with her for 20 years, he still refuses to eat leftovers for that reason (and I don't save other people's garbage). He also doesn't flush for #1 and my boys learned from him even though when I trained them, I taught them to flush.

My mil takes a teeny tiny dot is soap and rubs it on the fork and rinses in cold water. Yuck
(Water off while washing dishes east coast)
The dishes stink and have a yucky taste.
They have a sponge thatā€™s so moldy it looks like itā€™s sitting there for years disintegrating itā€™s so gross. And they donā€™t use plastic. Iā€™m so nauseas eating there.

meyerlemon44

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:44 pm
amother Blush wrote:
cutting the moldy part off a piece of cheese and eating the rest

(does it for herself only though, not for other people)

This is fine for hard cheeses FWIW.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:59 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:

Which reminds meā€¦..pouring back milk from cereal plate into the milk cartonā€¦.if a kid took too muchā€¦after eatingā€¦

amother
  Garnet

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 5:04 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Which reminds meā€¦..pouring back milk from cereal plate into the milk cartonā€¦.if a kid took too muchā€¦after eatingā€¦

I wouldnā€™t do that. Iā€™d just drink it or eat it with my own cereal.

BH Yom Yom  

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 5:22 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
Shoah survivors and their children, refugees and those who grew up with nothing are often pathological about reusing and not wasting.
Some examples- boiling chicken bones to get every bit off and eating every scrap of this until finished however many days later.
Reusing flimsy or broken plastic containers multiple times
Freezing the leftovers of every tiny bit eg 2 spoons of cooked rice.
Collecting the scraps of spice on chips or pretzels to use to sprinkle on salads.
Getting really upset by children wasting anything and insist on e/one clearing their plates.

This is a natural and understandable result of their childhood experiences and certainly from chikdren of shoal survivors is considered part of thr 2nd generation trauma.

However- I think the following are normal
- menu plan around shop sales
- reuse thick/fancy disposables if easily washed
- reuse good quality plastic containers esp those lovely serving ones which last months
- reuse or recycle all glass containers or jars
- use paper or washable/proper plates rather than plastic
- have the heat on a bit cooler and wear an extra layer
- turn off water in between use when washing up or teeth cleaning
- use grey water to water plants
- aim to avoid wasting food when possible eg not buy food to excess that will go to waste
- eat shab leftovers during the week
- air dry rather than use machine dryer.
- reuse plastic bags - so many uses

There is an element of caring for the environment - reuse, recycle etc which seems to have an inverse correlation to how "right wing" frum you are. Hashem gave us this beautiful world to look after, not to create trash mountains or islands in the Pacific made of microplastics and trash. This is worth making some effort to preserve, however uncomfortable or inconvenient.

For the record, I work 60 hours a week and still manage this.

So well-said! Yes

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 5:22 pm
doodlesmom wrote:

Eww. That goes way beyond frugal into neurotic and unsanitary.

Last edited by BH Yom Yom on Tue, Jun 25 2024, 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 5:30 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I usually use the same plastic tablecloth all Shabbos. We buy the nicest, most expensive brand (M&L). It doesn't usually get dirty, besides crumbs, which we brush off, and we don't eat formal shalosh seudos. (Men usually eat at shul.)
For that matter, I also reuse deli containers unless it originally held takeout, in which case I dump it. Iow, I reuse the ones that I bought new in bulk.

In your case why wouldnā€™t you just use a tablecloth without a plastic cover on top?

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 5:34 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Are you klausenberg? They're the only people I've met with this chumrah.

Everyone holds by this. Klausenberg holds to put more salt than most others.
Page 9 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics