Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Examples of extreme frugality!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
  Lightcoral  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:41 pm
amother Teal wrote:
Lol, not where I live. No Amazon. No (mainstream) online stores deliver to me. Like really really no access to normal paperware, but I hear you, I'm not such a fan but just do it sometimes for lack of better options. Living in most places you get so used to the disposable life and so so much convenience and availability but you forget that a large part of the world just doesn't have what you have and not everything is an option. You reuse things cus they're unavailable and so hard to get. Last time I had a visitor I asked her for those round deli containers, so no, I will not throw them out after one use! Unless used for something greasy it's not "gross".

Most on here have access to Amazon or similar. Which county are you in that has nothing?

amother
  Teal  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:44 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
Most on here have access to Amazon or similar. Which county are you in that has nothing?

I'm a Chabad shlucha, in a rather 3rd worldly country. (In some aspects) A part of south America

amother
  Lightcoral  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:03 pm
amother Teal wrote:
I'm a Chabad shlucha, in a rather 3rd worldly country. (In some aspects) A part of south America

That sounds hard. I’m obviously too spoiled to even consider that lifestyle lol.

AlwaysHoping

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:15 pm
Using the red bag that onions come in as a scrubby brush when washing dishes
Reusing the silver foil that covers the stove on Pesach for years on end

amother
Maple

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:16 pm
I totally disagree that reusing deli containers is automatically gross. They usually clean out beautifully and I save them for the next use and I've seen plenty of other people saving them too. I keep several in my cabinet and use them to freeze leftover soup all the time. When I'm making supper for someone then yes, I'll send them food in a new one, cuz that's nicest. But if I'm going somewhere for Shabbos and bringing something with me, I have no problem taking one of my washed ones out of my cabinet. When they get too gross, I throw them out happily. Until that point, I reuse them happily.

amother
  Garnet  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:20 pm
amother Maple wrote:
I totally disagree that reusing deli containers is automatically gross. They usually clean out beautifully and I save them for the next use and I've seen plenty of other people saving them too. I keep several in my cabinet and use them to freeze leftover soup all the time. When I'm making supper for someone then yes, I'll send them food in a new one, cuz that's nicest. But if I'm going somewhere for Shabbos and bringing something with me, I have no problem taking one of my washed ones out of my cabinet. When they get too gross, I throw them out happily. Until that point, I reuse them happily.

My grandmother used them as negel vasser kvorts. And you see the Williamsburg pickles containers has not changed in many years.

amother
  Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:20 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
What? Why would you assume people walk guests through dark rooms? Again, turn on the light when you're in a room. Why dimly lit living room? Just because people turn off lights when they leave a room doesn't mean every room is dim when they're in it.

Well clearly I was talking about someone who does walk guests through dark rooms to the dimly lit living room and using it as an example of frugality bordering on insanity.

amother
  Teal

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:31 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
That sounds hard. I’m obviously too spoiled to even consider that lifestyle lol.

One of the biggest "hards" moving from Brooklyn was leaving the disposable life behind! But getting used to it slowly Smile

amother
Melon  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:42 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Are you klausenberg? They're the only people I've met with this chumrah.

I think everyone knows not to leave opened eggs overnight without adding e.g. Salt or oil

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:45 pm
Using the same plastic tablecloth for all 3 meals on shabbos, even though they’re sticky from grape juice spills and dirty from everything else.

amother
  Melon

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:47 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
Because sometimes it's just not worth the effort. You can spend 5 minutes squeezing one or two toothbrushes worth of toothpaste out of the tube, how much $ does that really save?

But its cheaper than sensory therapy.
I thoroughly enjoy getting every last drop out of the toothpaste tube. I bought it, so why toss it?

amother
  Garnet  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:53 pm
amother Melon wrote:
I think everyone knows not to leave opened eggs overnight without adding e.g. Salt or oil

Eggzactly!

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:54 pm
Reusing styrofoam cups, plastic drinking strawers, sandwich bags and ziploc bags aluminum pans. Only wearing other people's used clothes and never buying new. Shutting the faucet while scrubbing dishes.

amother
  Brickred

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:03 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
Um, no. It takes an extra 10 seconds. Not 5 minutes.

Then that's just regular squeezing. Someone above mentioned cutting open the tube with scissors so as not to waste even a drop.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:14 pm
Paying to get into a park and having to stay the maximum amount of time allowed even though everybody is tired and ready to go home. They literally could not handle paying and not staying the full day.

amother
  Moonstone

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:22 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Paying to get into a park and having to stay the maximum amount of time allowed even though everybody is tired and ready to go home. They literally could not handle paying and not staying the full day.

This was my mindset until recently. We're not super frugal but don't do major trips too often either. Like let the kids have as much fun as they can. But we always came home with a car full of kvetchy kids. Until a friend told me that her motto is to leave while everyone is still having fun. She sets an amount of time she feels is fair for the venue and then they leave. I tried it the past couple family trips and it was Game changing!

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:30 pm
Beautiful wrote:
FYI not supposed to leave raw eggs overnight unless they're mixed with something

Lol that’s how the conversation started, she asked what I put into my open eggs overnight to keep them halachically okay and I said I never had such issues….

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:08 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
Reusing styrofoam cups, plastic drinking strawers, sandwich bags and ziploc bags aluminum pans. Only wearing other people's used clothes and never buying new. Shutting the faucet while scrubbing dishes.

I always reuse aluminum pans. A.d ziploc bags if they're used for something dry

BH Yom Yom  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:53 pm
amother Indigo wrote:

I shut the faucet when washing dishes (or brushing teeth). I don’t need it to run continuously into the sink for no reason (it wastes water).

If ziploc bags are clean and had something dry like crackers, why wouldn’t I reuse them?

amother
  Lightcoral  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:55 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
I shut the faucet when washing dishes (or brushing teeth). I don’t need it to run continuously into the sink for no reason (it wastes water).

If ziploc bags are clean and had something dry like crackers, why wouldn’t I reuse them?

What are you saving the water for? What do you mean waste? What’s it wasting? Water is not running out.
Page 4 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics