Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Examples of extreme frugality!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:27 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Are you klausenberg? They're the only people I've met with this chumrah.

Isn't it outright halacha??

amother
Garnet  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
It’s great to be frugal…
But everything has its limits!
What examples of frugality have you seen that you felt is extreme?

I’ve recently been told by someone she keeps the leftover egg shmear from her challah rolls overnight and adds it to another recipe later on in the week.

You’re not supposed to eat eggs left overnight without a shell.
(Egg salad is fine since it has other things.)

amother
  Garnet  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:29 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Are you klausenberg? They're the only people I've met with this chumrah.

It’s Halacha. In the Gemara.

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:31 pm
There was a TV show about this.

I remember a family ( parents & 2 teens) that all shared the same bathwater.

Generally, being too stingy on utilities to the point of making yourself and potential guests very uncomfortable (temperature, lights etc)

amother
  Garnet  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:32 pm
amother Pear wrote:
There was a TV show about this.

I remember a family ( parents & 2 teens) that all shared the same bathwater.

Generally, being too stingy on utilities to the point of making yourself and potential guests very uncomfortable (temperature, lights etc)

Yes. On TLC my extreme cheapskates.

amother
Tanzanite  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:33 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Cutting open toothpaste tubes to scrape out every last drop

Keeping the heat at 60 in the winter

Wearing out of style suits from the sixties because they still fit

Listening when the kids use aluminum foil to wrap their sandwiches to make sure they don't use too much

Labeling disposable plastic cups for sleepover guests and only letting them use that one

Keeping every single light off in the house and living in darkness (besides for the one room you are in) so the electric bill won't be too high

Sorry- but why waste toothpaste? Use every bit you have. I haven't cut my tube but I squeeze every bit out.

Why light up rooms if no one is home or using that room? Light switches were created for a reason.

amother
  Garnet  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:33 pm
I worked in a camp and the director made us wash out the plastic forks and spoons. (Gross) and also had to wash down the plastic tablecloths and not throw it out. (The same white one a a roll every school uses.)
Thank Hashem the plates then were styrofoam so we can’t reuse them

amother
  Garnet  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:35 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
Sorry- but why waste toothpaste? Use every bit you have. I haven't cut my tube but I squeeze every bit out.

Why light up rooms if no one is home or using that room? Light switches were created for a reason.

They have a device to roll up tooth paste.
I do not have it I think it’s a waste.

https://a.co/d/06Mb0RIu

amother
  Tanzanite  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:36 pm
You don't leave on a light in the entryway or hallway or bathroom? Every single light in your house is off besides for one bulb? Even if you're expecting guests and you walk them through the dark hallways to the dimly lit living room?

Um the light is on as we walk through rooms. If we are in the room, we use the light. If I am not in the hall or kitchen why does the light need to be on? The light is near the door. Turn on when entering, off when exiting.

amother
  Brickred  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:40 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:

Because sometimes it's just not worth the effort. You can spend 5 minutes squeezing one or two toothbrushes worth of toothpaste out of the tube, how much $ does that really save?

amother
  Darkblue  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:43 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
Because sometimes it's just not worth the effort. You can spend 5 minutes squeezing one or two toothbrushes worth of toothpaste out of the tube, how much $ does that really save?
Um, no. It takes an extra 10 seconds. Not 5 minutes.

amother
  Garnet  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:44 pm
amother Brickred wrote:

Prob one tube of toothpaste for 2 years of squeezing.

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:47 pm
(The Costco heavy duty fancy white plates say dishwasher safe on them....)

amother
  Aquamarine  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:53 pm
You don't leave on a light in the entryway or hallway or bathroom? Every single light in your house is off besides for one bulb? Even if you're expecting guests and you walk them through the dark hallways to the dimly lit living room?

What? Why would you assume people walk guests through dark rooms? Again, turn on the light when you're in a room. Why dimly lit living room? Just because people turn off lights when they leave a room doesn't mean every room is dim when they're in it. Why would I need a bathroom light on when I'm in the living room. Most rooms have light switches by the entrance for this reason, so you can turn it on when you come in and off when.

amother
  Garnet  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:54 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
What? Why would you assume people walk guests through dark rooms? Again, turn on the light when you're in a room. Why dimly lit living room? Just because people turn off lights when they leave a room doesn't mean every room is dim when they're in it. Why would I need a bathroom light on when I'm in the living room. Most rooms have light switches by the entrance for this reason, so you can turn it on when you come in and off when.

I was at my very rich uncles house for the Friday night meal and all the lights were off on the first floor besides the kitchen and dining room. I was barely able to see where I was going.

amother
  Teal  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:24 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
You can get super cheap really plates online. You can also get disposable online. I would never I don’t think it washes properly and it’s gross. You can’t wash that type of plastic. I buy disposable containers by the dozen and throw them out. I don’t buy the reusable ones they look gross and never look or smell clean. It always smells like the last thing you used it for.

Lol, not where I live. No Amazon. No (mainstream) online stores deliver to me. Like really really no access to normal paperware, but I hear you, I'm not such a fan but just do it sometimes for lack of better options. Living in most places you get so used to the disposable life and so so much convenience and availability but you forget that a large part of the world just doesn't have what you have and not everything is an option. You reuse things cus they're unavailable and so hard to get. Last time I had a visitor I asked her for those round deli containers, so no, I will not throw them out after one use! Unless used for something greasy it's not "gross".

amother
  Darkblue  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:33 pm
I agree frugality should never infringe upon your guests. That is miserliness, not frugality. But frugality in my own home when it affects me, I view as a virtue.

amother
Red  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:33 pm
I know someone that doesn’t flush the toilets if you just pish
It’s gross to the next level, every bathroom is dirty

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:37 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
Isn't it outright halacha??

It is.
I grew up in a klausenberg home.

Halacha is leaving eggs overnight.

Klausenberg chumra is that they hold of a different shiur of salt/ sugar that needs to be added to eggs( different than the amount most hold is ok)

amother
  Lightcoral  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:38 pm
amother Red wrote:
I know someone that doesn’t flush the toilets if you just pish
It’s gross to the next level, every bathroom is dirty

That reeks and stains and is so nasty. Isn’t water cheap in most places?
Page 3 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics