Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Examples of extreme frugality!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
  Lightcoral  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:53 pm
amother Teal wrote:
You think disposable anything?? I agree like white disposables but What about those super sturdy fancy colored plates your almost not sure if they're reusable. I would call myself far from frugal but sometimes wash those..

Sorry I think it’s gross too. None of them are built to wash and it’s nasty. It’s not the type of material that washes and cleans well.

amother
Aquamarine  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:54 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Are you klausenberg? They're the only people I've met with this chumrah.

It's basic mainstream halacha, not chumra.

GLUE

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:56 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Rinsing paper towels and reusing them
1 pair of weekday shoes for over 10 years

How do you get one pair of shoes to last that long?

amother
Darkblue  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:57 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
Wahing used parchment paper! My mother does that.
I reuse parchment paper from my challah for my cookies all the time. I do not think this is extreme. And I'd also use leftover egg shmear for a kugel or dessert recipe. But not overnight.

What is the purpose of making fun of people for using their resources wisely??

amother
Ghostwhite  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:57 pm
Cutting open toothpaste tubes to scrape out every last drop

Keeping the heat at 60 in the winter

Wearing out of style suits from the sixties because they still fit

Listening when the kids use aluminum foil to wrap their sandwiches to make sure they don't use too much

Labeling disposable plastic cups for sleepover guests and only letting them use that one

Keeping every single light off in the house and living in darkness (besides for the one room you are in) so the electric bill won't be too high

Iymnok  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:58 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Are you klausenberg? They're the only people I've met with this chumrah.

I believe it's brought in the same place as leaving peeled onions or garlic overnight.

amother
  Lightcoral  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:58 pm
I don’t even understand reusing disposable. Why buy plastic plates? Just buy corelle and keep washing. Why buy paper towels and try to reuse? Get cloth shmattas and wash them. Buy reusable bags and wash them… the whole point in disposable is one time use. Why is anyone buying and reusing? They cost more, it makes no sense.

amother
  Rainbow

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:59 pm
GLUE wrote:
How do you get one pair of shoes to last that long?

Bring it to the shoemaker every so often when they have holes and the sole flaps around

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:00 pm
Wow these sound like ppl who are mentally ill. I do some things that r extremely frugal like wash out soup containers from week to week

amother
Seagreen  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:05 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
I don’t even understand reusing disposable. Why buy plastic plates? Just buy corelle and keep washing. Why buy paper towels and try to reuse? Get cloth shmattas and wash them. Buy reusable bags and wash them… the whole point in disposable is one time use. Why is anyone buying and reusing? They cost more, it makes no sense.

Plates - use it 2-3 times and then dispose. It still saves time and effort though obviously to a lesser degree.

Containers - these round containers store so neatly and you wash them until they get yucky. For example, if I have a dry salad, it's a quick rinse. But if I have oily food in it, I chuck it.

amother
  Seagreen

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:07 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:

Listening when the kids use aluminum foil to wrap their sandwiches to make sure they don't use too much

Labeling disposable plastic cups for sleepover guests and only letting them use that one

Keeping every single light off in the house and living in darkness (besides for the one room you are in) so the electric bill won't be too high

This truly depends on if a family is poor or not. If a family is struggling, all of the above is OK with the exception of the disposable plastic cups.

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:10 pm
Repairing your shoes does not mean you!4e mentally ill

amother
  Teal  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:12 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
Sorry I think it’s gross too. None of them are built to wash and it’s nasty. It’s not the type of material that washes and cleans well.

Ok I sort of agree but what iiiiff.. you lived somewhere that you couldn't buy fancy shabbos disposables (yes, these places exist!) like me, and you brought in from somewhere else and buying real plates is superr expensive here. So for the meanwhile you use these plates 3 or 4 times and wash them well. Tbh, they seem the same materiel as plastic containers which are not my favourite either but will work when there's nothing else.

amother
  Aquamarine  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:13 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:

If you can only be in one room at a time, and you always make sure the light is one where you are, how is this living in darkness? Lots of people turn off lights when they leave the room. Notnsure if this is on the same level as everything else you listed.

amother
Moonstone  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:16 pm
My parents can afford new whatever they need but they were both raised poor so they have some mannerisms that only after I left their house did I realize how odd it is.
Reuse pickle or other deli containers- wash out and put in cabinet for future use on repeat like a reg tupperware
Buy whatever brand is cheapest even if taste can't compare and kids won't eat it. Goes for Yogurts, snacks...
Buy 4 betty crockers just because it's on sale even without room to store them
Never replace mattresses even when a spring is poking thru
Buy the cheapest white shirts and pants- even if size is too big and wear each shirt/pants for multiple days before washing, a week or more.

amother
  Lightcoral  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:16 pm
amother Teal wrote:
Ok I sort of agree but what iiiiff.. you lived somewhere that you couldn't buy fancy shabbos disposables (yes, these places exist!) like me, and you brought in from somewhere else and buying real plates is superr expensive here. So for the meanwhile you use these plates 3 or 4 times and wash them well. Tbh, they seem the same materiel as plastic containers which are not my favourite either but will work when there's nothing else.

You can get super cheap really plates online. You can also get disposable online. I would never I don’t think it washes properly and it’s gross. You can’t wash that type of plastic. I buy disposable containers by the dozen and throw them out. I don’t buy the reusable ones they look gross and never look or smell clean. It always smells like the last thing you used it for.

amother
  Moonstone  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:19 pm
amother Teal wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with this. And I don't consider myself frugal, just money conscious. A disposable pitcher or salad bowl, if not used for oily stuff, washes out beautifully just like any other plastic dish. Extreme frugality, imo, is reusing even when they old and discolored or when used for something oily like penne ala vodka, and scrubbing it clean, when the effortto clean it isnt worth the price of the item.

amother
Brickred  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:22 pm
amother Teal wrote:

Better to buy pretty colored paper plates. In my opinion.

amother
  Ghostwhite  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:23 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
If you can only be in one room at a time, and you always make sure the light is one where you are, how is this living in darkness? Lots of people turn off lights when they leave the room. Notnsure if this is on the same level as everything else you listed.

You don't leave on a light in the entryway or hallway or bathroom? Every single light in your house is off besides for one bulb? Even if you're expecting guests and you walk them through the dark hallways to the dimly lit living room?

amother
  Brickred  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:24 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with this. And I don't consider myself frugal, just money conscious. A disposable pitcher or salad bowl, if not used for oily stuff, washes out beautifully just like any other plastic dish. Extreme frugality, imo, is reusing even when they old and discolored or when used for something oily like penne ala vodka, and scrubbing it clean, when the effortto clean it isnt worth the price of the item.

Ok you have a pretty heavy plastic salad bowl and it's yomtov, sure reuse it for salad for the next yt meal. But don't wash it and put it back on the shelf to keep reusing every shabbos, in my opinion.
Page 2 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics