Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Would you eat this hechsher? It's from Israel sold in ny
Previous  1  2

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 5:32 am
We are yeshivish and would use it for pareve or dairy packaged products, but not for meat.

Hidden

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 5:37 am
snooper86 wrote:
Yes I would eat it and I’m Ashkenaz, even meat isn’t an issue as Beit Yosef is stricter than Chassidish Shechita. Also it says Maran Harav Ovadia Yosef ZTZ”L on it as in it’s his Hechsher would you not eat in house?

That's not how hechsherim work.
A hechsher has a system and the Rav Hamachshir can be the biggest talmid chacham but the hechsher that he runs needs to have certain rules in place in order to make it reliable.

Also, Maran Harav Ovadia Yosef ZTZ”L isn't alive anymore so who knows the policies now that beit yosef is using?

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 6:10 am
Ashkenaz living in Israel - we would eat it for pareve.

Bet Yosef is a good and strict Sefardi Hechsher. Ashkenazim don't eat it not because it's unreliable, but because we have different shchita laws, etc. Therefore, there's no reason not to eat their pareve.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 7:32 am
snooper86 wrote:
Yes I would eat it and I’m Ashkenaz, even meat isn’t an issue as Beit Yosef is stricter than Chassidish Shechita. Also it says Maran Harav Ovadia Yosef ZTZ”L on it as in it’s his Hechsher would you not eat in house?

Beit Yosef shechita isn't the same as Beit Yosef hechsher.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 7:35 am
Chalak is stricter than glatt
Many gatt eaters eat chalak
Not necessarily opposite

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 8:55 am
amother Alyssum wrote:

Bet Yosef is a good and strict Sefardi Hechsher. Ashkenazim don't eat it not because it's unreliable, but because we have different shchita laws, etc. Therefore, there's no reason not to eat their pareve.

We actually don't have different laws about shechita and sefardim are more makpid. That's a misconception.

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 9:44 am
I was told by my chassidish rav. That I could 100 percent eat their meat. They have stricter rules than chassidish shceita

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 9:46 am
People always feel ashkénaze is more machmir lol

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 9:54 am
Ruchel wrote:
Chalak is stricter than glatt
Many gatt eaters eat chalak
Not necessarily opposite

Chalak is literally the Hebrew translation of the Yiddish word glatt. Both mean smooth, it means the lungs of the animal have no adhesions.
So how can there be a difference between chalak and glatt?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 9:56 am
amother Coffee wrote:
Chalak is literally the Hebrew translation of the Yiddish word glatt. Both mean smooth, it means the lungs of the animal have no adhesions.
So how can there be a difference between chalak and glatt?

Glatt is the "glatt meat"
Chalak is chalak beth yosef
Many first eat the second, not all second eat the first

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 11:13 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Thats only pretty chareidi people, who live in Yerushalayim or Bnei Brak or other very chareidi places. Even in Beit Shemesh it's totally normal to Beit Yosef for Dairy and Pareve amongst Americans and some Israelis, and for sure if you live outside major chareidi cities they eat a lot more heschers.

I have a lot of pretty chareidi friends in Yerushalayim who eat it as well.

I live in bet shemesh and I wouldn't eat it and none of my friends would either.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 11:19 am
We don't eat it. Yeshivish Israel.

Many here are saying it's a top sefardi hechsher but I really don't think that's true. Machpud is definitely considered a higher level than that (though we personally don't eat that either.)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 12:13 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:

We don't eat it and the reason we also don't eat it for bread (which is parev) as sefardim might have different kabolos in what they learned in taking challah etc. Not wrong but may go according to the sefardi halacha and not the ashkenazi halacha so just something to bear in mind

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 12:43 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:

Yes this is the difference between Israeli and American sefardic hechsherim.
In America Sefardi hechsherim use Sefardi & Ashkenaz chumros. In Israel they only use Sefardi chumros so many Ashkenaz won't eat Sefardi meats.
Still, I don't eat Beit Yosef for pareve and have a very chareidi Sefardi friend who doesn't either eat it at all so ask your LOR

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:20 pm
My rav told me Beis Yoseph is even better than Ashkenazi hechsher for meat. I didn't ask about anything else because I was looking at meat at the time.

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:25 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
My rav told me Beis Yoseph is even better than Ashkenazi hechsher for meat. I didn't ask about anything else because I was looking at meat at the time.

What type of Rav? Sefardi, Dati Leumi, Chareidi, Chareidi-Lite?

ETA: Bc for sure for Sefardim this would be true. Not for Ashkenazim though Smile

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:46 pm
amother Cyan wrote:

True

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 6:36 pm
This is the Israeli Bet Yosef hechsher. It is not the same thing as the American Beis Yosef shechitah which is very high level.

Many of you seem to be confusing the two.

This hechsher is mainly eaten by Sefardim but even the more machmir Sefardim don't eat it. This hechsher was established with only the very basic sefardic kashrus laws to prevent people from eating straight up treif. People who hold to higher standards of kashrus do not eat it.

Remember that Israeli hechsherim have to take many more things into account than American hechsherim, which is why they tend to be more complicated. There is shechitah, chalav yisrael, pas yisrael, hafrashas challah, bug checking, yayin nesech, orlah...and ALSO trumah, maaser and shmitah.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen