Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Nobody wants this- Netflix
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 9:40 am
Really good so far! A few episodes in and it’s very funny. It’s refreshing to have a show about Judaism that isn’t trying to paint us in a bad light. Even if it’s about reform/conservatives

amother
Brunette

Post Yesterday at 9:44 am
Same! Loving it so far

amother
Navyblue  

Post Yesterday at 9:55 am
isn’t it about a rabbi falling for a non jewish woman?

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 9:59 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
isn’t it about a rabbi falling for a non jewish woman?

Yes. Not a frum rabbi

amother
  Navyblue

Post Yesterday at 10:01 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes. Not a frum rabbi

I get that but I don’t like the idea that he had to go for a shiksa goddess which I feel like marginalizes Jewish women.

not trying to be a frummie: I’m MO. but come on. marrying within the faith is pretty fundamental

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 10:09 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
I get that but I don’t like the idea that he had to go for a shiksa goddess which I feel like marginalizes Jewish women.

not trying to be a frummie: I’m MO. but come on. marrying within the faith is pretty fundamental

I would assume if they ended up together they’d have her convert

giftedmom

Post Yesterday at 10:30 am
Yeah I couldn’t get past the plot. Hollywood generally doesn’t paint reform Jews in a bad light. It’s only chassidic/orthodox that are caricatured.

vintagebknyc

Post Yesterday at 12:27 pm
I'm a little surprised by the responses. Everyone in my crowd, myself included, feel it was totally antisemitic and made Jews look terrible with the constant references to goys and shiksas

amother
Butterscotch  

Post Yesterday at 12:35 pm
I disliked the mother / her accent
Eating pork
The story is based off a real story

amother
Daffodil

Post Yesterday at 12:39 pm
I watched a little and thought it was awful. The end is a “big romantic win” for the couple that is completely anti religion, totally “love conquers all” and if not, well then, who needs religion anyway? Yuck. And the Jewish women are all horrible. Definitely does not put is in a good light.

North Star

Post Yesterday at 12:43 pm
I don’t have Netflix so I didn’t watch, but it was written by Erin Foster, based on her own life. She married a Jew (although not a rabbi) and converted. She’s pro Israel and loves Jews so I assumed it would put us in a good light.

essie14

Post Yesterday at 12:45 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
I disliked the mother / her accent
Eating pork
The story is based off a real story

It's based on Erin Foster's life. She met a Jewish man and converted to marry him.
The anecdotes are not based on truth. She made them up.
She created the show and wrote it.
Her real life mother in law loves her and was very welcoming to her from the beginning. She's been saying that on all the press interviews.

amother
Rainbow

Post Yesterday at 12:45 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I'm a little surprised by the responses. Everyone in my crowd, myself included, feel it was totally antisemitic and made Jews look terrible with the constant references to goys and shiksas

Same. The Jewish women are all shrill, shallow, and thoroughly unlikable and unsympathetic caricatures.

amother
Rose

Post Yesterday at 12:56 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

But the main Jewish character was basically every girl’s dream guy. My non Jewish friends all told me that they’re obsessed with him. So in that way it paints Jews in a good light.

amother
Gardenia

Post Yesterday at 1:19 pm
It bothers me as noah is so far from authentic judaism it's a joke. And for people watching that don't know any different it portrays judaism so poorly.
The plot strikes me as cliche boy meets girl of opposing backgrounds (romeo and juliet) and somehow love conquers all and although they are from different worlds, they somehow make it work. Although I always think as they ride off into the sunset, just wait until they've been married for a while and the glow has worn off.

amother
  Butterscotch

Post Yesterday at 1:23 pm
The show gets a little better after the 7th episode

Amarante

Post Yesterday at 1:34 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

I am also a bit shocked because the mainstream press really excoriated it by pointing out how stereotypically awful the Jewish women were portrayed.

I haven’t watched it as it seemed really pretty awful based on the interviews with the creator who is a classic nepo baby. It is very loosely based on her life as she married a Jewish film maker and converted. He isn’t a rabbi

Fun fact is that her father’s fifth wife is two years younger than she is. 🤷‍♀️😂

flowerpower

Post Yesterday at 1:39 pm
essie14 wrote:
It's based on Erin Foster's life. She met a Jewish man and converted to marry him.
The anecdotes are not based on truth. She made them up.
She created the show and wrote it.
Her real life mother in law loves her and was very welcoming to her from the beginning. She's been saying that on all the press interviews.

She she converted through a reform rabbi and is technically not jewish..?

amother
Cognac

Post Yesterday at 3:14 pm
she does not convert and he gives up being a rabbi for her.
It was a cute romantic show, but I did not like that he gave up religion for her . And the way they portrayed the Jewish characters 🤮

fmt4  

Post Yesterday at 3:18 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
she does not convert and he gives up being a rabbi for her.
It was a cute romantic show, but I did not like that he gave up religion for her . And the way they portrayed the Jewish characters 🤮

There is probably going to be a second season. The woman who made the show did convert eventually and it’s based on her life. I actually like how they showed that converting is not something to be taken lightly. I’m assuming in the second season she’ll learn more about Judaism and maybe convert because she wants to not just for him.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics