Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Is this normal 3y old behavior?

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 4:38 am
I’m hosting my friends 3 year old son for a couple of days because she had a baby.

He’s really wild!
I don’t know if it’s normal behavior or my kids are just angels? I also have a 3y old boy and he NEVER does these things:

Scream sometimes instead of talking
Spit on the floor and then smear it around with his shoes
When done eating throw his plate on the floor
Touch EVERYTHING within reach
Again, touch EVERYTHING. I had to hide half my house
Say things like “you’re crazy, you’re a Nebech, he’s a Nazi, she’s a pig, I’m a [gentile]”…..
Spill a box of toys and walk away
REFUSE to clean up toys
Jump around while dressing/ brushing hair
Take away other kids things just because
Ask for candy once an hour
Spill his drink just because
Not play with toys for longer than 5 min
Can’t lay quietly in bed before going to sleep, talking nonstop
Not listen to a thing adults say

I’m just hiding in my room waiting for him to be picked up. It was a long 2 days

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 4:48 am
The jumping around while getting dressed is the only thing I can relate to.
The rest is a result of a combination of his (terrible imo) chinuch (3 yo don’t come up with those words themselves), and the fact that he was sent away from his family and his mother just had a baby. He is still a baby himself. He must be so confused and feel so abandoned. How sad for him. He should be home with his father

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 4:52 am
Sounds normal for a kid who gets no chinuch...

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 5:54 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:
The jumping around while getting dressed is the only thing I can relate to.
The rest is a result of a combination of his (terrible imo) chinuch (3 yo don’t come up with those words themselves), and the fact that he was sent away from his family and his mother just had a baby. He is still a baby himself. He must be so confused and feel so abandoned. How sad for him. He should be home with his father

He wasn’t abandoned, he knows me and my family very well and he asked his mom to come to us instead of staying home, and it was only for 2 days.
But makes sense about the bad chinuch, his mother isn’t the most hands on parent.

mushkamothers  

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 7:16 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m hosting my friends 3 year old son for a couple of days because she had a baby.

He’s really wild!
I don’t know if it’s normal behavior or my kids are just angels? I also have a 3y old boy and he NEVER does these things:

Spit on the floor and then shmear it around with his shoes
Say things like “you’re crazy, you’re a Nebech, he’s a Nazi, she’s a pig, I’m a [gentile]”…..
REFUSE to clean up toys

I’m just hiding in my room waiting for him to be picked up. It was a long 2 days

This isn't necessarily bad chinuch (language and not being taught to put things away, maybe), these 2 are classic ADHD. as well as all the "just because" - ADHD kids seek for stimulation constantly so they will absolutely walk around randomly hitting people, spilling things and generally causing chaos.

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 7:20 am
First thing I saw is poor kid needs OT!

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 7:25 am
My 3 year old boy is similar in a lot of ways. Sounds like a wild, possibly ADHD (I think DS has) and probably needs some OT.
Language I find interesting though as that’s the kind of thing a 3 year old picks up from others

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 7:44 am
For everyone saying poor chinuch-
My 3yo dd will randomly scream instead of talk, randomly hits me (though we're working on that and it's gotten MUCH better) touches EVERYTHING, will defiantly do whatever I tell her not to do, has spilled a cup on the floor on purpose a couple times...
We're so not hands off parents (sometimes I wonder if I'm too hard on her! We keep talking about rules to her)
Is that still just bad chinuch?

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 7:45 am
amother OP wrote:

He’s really wild!

Spit on the floor and then smear it around with his shoes
REFUSE to clean up toys

My 3 year old will spill a cup just because too sometimes. She knows it’s wrong. We’re working on it as best as we can. Could the rest be due to the huge change he just went theough?? He’s not the baby of the family anymore, he’s a big brother now. His life has changed drastically. Maybe he’s an acting out because of it or was he like this before??

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 7:47 am
amother Hosta wrote:
My 3 year old boy is similar in a lot of ways. Sounds like a wild, possibly ADHD (I think DS has) and probably needs some OT.
Language I find interesting though as that’s the kind of thing a 3 year old picks up from others

It sad. His mother is a Morah, why isn’t she picking up on those things?! Should I talk to her? We are really close friends but I don’t feel so comfortable mentioning it. She thinks he is the best kid ever.
FTR he’s a good kid, he wasn’t mean or hurting anyone, he ate nicely and played with my kids nicely for the most part. He’s also fun to talk to and be around. But his behavior baffled me. My kids are not like that at all.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 7:50 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
My 3yo dd will randomly scream instead of talk, randomly hits me (though we're working on that and it's gotten MUCH better) touches EVERYTHING, will defiantly do whatever I tell her not to do, has spilled a cup on the floor on purpose a couple times...
We're so not hands off parents (sometimes I wonder if I'm too hard on her! We keep talking about rules to her)

I don’t know, that’s why I’m asking if its normal 3 year old behavior that they will just grow out of as they get older

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 7:58 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:

she can probably use OT

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 8:21 am
amother OP wrote:
It sad. His mother is a Morah, why isn’t she picking up on those things?! Should I talk to her? We are really close friends but I don’t feel so comfortable mentioning it. She thinks he is the best kid ever.
FTR he’s a good kid, he wasn’t mean or hurting anyone, he ate nicely and played with my kids nicely for the most part. He’s also fun to talk to and be around. But his behavior baffled me. My kids are not like that at all.

Does he have the same behavior at home?
Change of environment, new baby.
Is he sleeping same amount as he usually do at home?

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 8:39 am
Is it possible he’s acting out because he misses his family?
My 2.5 yo does some of these things but not all. He does spit when he’s frustrated, touches everything, runs around and doesn’t sit still. If he’s overtired he’ll also take things from other kids and refuse to clean up. I could see him maybe acting similar if he was missing us for a few days and not having his routine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers