Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
What to pack/not pack for seminary? Any tips?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 4:26 pm
Hi, everyone! I'm new to imamother so I hope I'm posting this correctly. My daughter is heading to seminary in Israel soon, so we've been shopping and packing and getting her ready. I’ve heard mixed things about what to pack—especially when it comes to toiletries. Is it worth sending her with shampoo from here or should she buy there? Does anyone have any tips or advice in general? Is there anything you wish you had sent with your daughter that you didn’t?

DrMom  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 4:32 pm
You can but shampoo in any pharmacy or supermarket in Israel, so there's no need to pack it. Unless you want to give her time to get settled before venturing out to shop, in which h case, have her bring one bottle.

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 4:34 pm
It’s better to buy shampoo there since the water is different, but pack a small shampoo/conditioner until she has time to go to a store. It’s better to bring most other toiletries/makeup, especially if she’s particular with a certain brand. Israel sells a lot of but not every brand and it might be more expensive or hard to find

amother
Tan  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 10:25 pm
Don't pack shampoo! It's such a shlep and takes up precious luggage space and adds so much weight. They can also spill everywhere all over the suitcase... when my oldest daughter went to sem we packed toiletries and it was such a hassle. My friend told me about this great website called [link removed] where they pack toiletries in a nice package for when the girls arrive. They also sell school supplies, which my oldest daughter would've loved to have so she didn't have to miss the first few days of notes. Very happy with the prices, definitely worth checking out, saving us so much stress this time around.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 10:28 pm
You need israeli formulated shampoo for israeli water. And you will find there is no room to pack it.

Buy everything that you can online for delivery to her instead of getting it here. Order in advance so it will be there when she arrives.

It saves space which will be short, shoes are more important.

In her carry on pack travel size everything to tide her over.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 10:49 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
You need israeli formulated shampoo for israeli water. .

This, otherwise it won’t lather up. At least that’s what I heard

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 11:07 pm
Bump

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 11:12 pm
amother Wine wrote:

Whenever I go to Israel, I bring Paul Mitchell shampoo and it lathers up beautifully.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:04 am
Both my dd and I loved Superpharm (like cvs) when we were in Israel. I thought it was fun to buy Israeli brands and supporting the economy, particularly now, is very appealing. I agree with the advice to send travel sizes and suggest that she go shopping when she arrives. For those in Jerusalem, there are branches in Mamilla, Ben Yehuda. Most towns have them. Also, for visiting Moms: I like to buy souvenirs there like Israeli cosmetics and bath products, snacks, doodads, and even little baby gifts.

Ruchel  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 10:38 am
Good shoes for tiuylim
Enough space to bring gifts home 😉

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 10:54 am
Thanks so much everyone for your replies! I looked at the website you mentioned [link removed] and it looks great! I saw that the package comes right to her dorm so she'll have shampoo and everything she'll need to shower right away plus I can include a sweet note for her to read when she opens it. If anyone else is sending their daughter I would recommend you look into it!

amother
Antiquewhite  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 11:12 am
amother Seablue wrote:
It’s better to buy shampoo there since the water is different, but pack a small shampoo/conditioner until she has time to go to a store. It’s better to bring most other toiletries/makeup, especially if she’s particular with a certain brand. Israel sells a lot of but not every brand and it might be more expensive or hard to find

Never found this to be true. I brought along in sem, and now that I've been living here for a couple of years I order on Amazon because it's easier and it's the brands I like. Never made a difference...

OP, I would for sure send her with a full size bottle of shampoo and conditioner to get her through the first few months.

Also, bring a years supply of pads so she doesn't have to go out and buy it just makes it easier.

Elfrida  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 11:19 am
amother Lightgray wrote:
Both my dd and I loved Superpharm (like cvs) when we were in Israel. I thought it was fun to buy Israeli brands and supporting the economy, particularly now, is very appealing. I agree with the advice to send travel sizes and suggest that she go shopping when she arrives. For those in Jerusalem, there are branches in Mamilla, Ben Yehuda. Most towns have them. Also, for visiting Moms: I like to buy souvenirs there like Israeli cosmetics and bath products, snacks, doodads, and even little baby gifts.

There are multiple branches of Superpharm all over Jerusalem. I'm less familiar with other cities, but they are a national chain.

Pads are easy to buy in Superpharm or any supermarket, and a years supplywluld take up a lot of valuable luggage space. By all means bring an initial supply, but after that replenish from local shops

b_forsher  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 12:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much everyone for your replies! I looked at the website you mentioned CARESKITS.COM and it looks great! I saw that the package comes right to her dorm so she'll have shampoo and everything she'll need to shower right away plus I can include a sweet note for her to read when she opens it. If anyone else is sending their daughter I would recommend you look into it!

Yeah and it offers American and Israeli products...I'd recommend American based on my daughters experience. Also, my friend shared with me a promo code for free delivery. I used it last week, don't know if it still works, but if you make an order it's worth a try. Its [unpaid ad removed] website. Hatzlocha packing!

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 1:11 pm
Blanket express offers toiletries as well. We started her off with some and then she bought the rest. She still ended up taking her reg supply of deodorant, pads…

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 1:20 pm
I second using Blanket Express. So easy, they deliver it and sent a picture of the package they left outside my son's dirah. They have pillows, blankets, towels, toiletries. Way easier than bringing your own. Just bring a travel size for the first day or two till they get their bearings.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 4:03 pm
Ya same! I also ordered on [unpaid ad removed] and they're super warm and friendly! There are other options but I feel like they're a really good choice to make my daughter feel cared about especially since she'll be so far and after a long flight - they have an option to "send a hug from home" which I think is really nice! Plus she's getting full bottles of Pantene and Dove delivered right to her dorm room that she can use from the the day lands without needing to pack them! Can't recommend enough!!

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 4:09 pm
She should bring a hand mirror for make up application
plenty of wash bags (one for Shabbos, one for make up, one for jewelry etc)
and a laundry hamper if it packs flat
and an underbed plastic storage pack (again packs flat)
these things sell out v quickly from the local stores the first wk sems are open

she should try acquire there (either leftover from girls last yr or buy)
plastic storage drawers , clip on or stand fan, shabbos light or lamp, hangers,

she should take tampons/pads at least for first 3 mths and face soaps and Def buy shampoo there. she will obv also need to buy laundry soap.

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 5:24 pm
amother Wine wrote:

I use an American shampoo and it's great and lathers a lot.

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 6:10 pm
b_forsher wrote:
Yeah and it offers American and Israeli products...I'd recommend American based on my daughters experience. Also, my friend shared with me a promo code for free delivery. I used it last week, don't know if it still works, but if you make an order it's worth a try. Its [unpaid ad removed]. Hatzlocha packing!

Could you please post the exact web address? It doesn't come up with anything...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info