Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
What to pack/not pack for seminary? Any tips?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 6:20 pm
Make sure she has comfortable shoes for Shabbos (and for weekday but that goes without saying). She may be a decent amount of walking on Shabbos so there's no need for the 4 inch heels.

amother
Celeste

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 2:37 am
amother Caramel wrote:
Could you please post the exact web address? It doesn't come up with anything...

[unpaid ad removed]

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 3:01 am
I wouldn’t bother bringing liquid toiletries (like shampoo/ conditioner/ mouthwash/ deodorant). It’s all can be found in one stop at makolet or pharmacy. Something like razors/ bail clippers/ toothbrushes I would bring just because it doesn’t weigh anything and takes up minimal space so why not but really you can buy everything in stores Israel, no need to shlep or buy from an overpriced touristy website where you can pay in nis what they are charging you in usd. There are stores all over, likely within a few minutes of walking.

Elfrida  

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 5:24 am
amother Celeste wrote:
[unpaid ad removed]/

I just looked at that site, and, speaking as an Israeli who is used to Israeli prices, they are very expensive. Obviously you're paying for packing and delivery and convenience, but I would say to take an initial supply, and the buy as necessary in the local supermarkets and pharmacies.

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 7:02 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Never found this to be true. I brought along in sem, and now that I've been living here for a couple of years I order on Amazon because it's easier and it's the brands I like. Never made a difference...

OP, I would for sure send her with a full size bottle of shampoo and conditioner to get her through the first few months.

Also, bring a years supply of pads so she doesn't have to go out and buy it just makes it easier.

Pads for a while year? Excuse me but that is ridiculous. Why shlepp pads from the US when you can get them here?

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 7:06 am
Elfrida wrote:
I just looked at that site, and, speaking as an Israeli who is used to Israeli prices, they are very expensive. Obviously you're paying for packing and delivery and convenience, but I would say to take an initial supply, and the buy as necessary in the local supermarkets and pharmacies.

I chime in
Ridiculous expensive. Any supermarket will be cheaper than this.
I don't get why it's necessary to get the stuff sent to the sem. Why can't them to shopping themselves?

Elfrida  

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 7:13 am
For convenience when they arrive it's nice to have something ready, but an initial supply on their suitcase is just as good.

For the same prices as that website, you can order much larger bottles on amazon that will be delivered free of charge.

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 8:19 am
I second the high markup of careskits. The basic package can be bought for a fraction of that online and delivered with superpharm, then get pads or tampons, deodorant, toothpaste, shabbos toothpaste Tiadent or mouthwash, floss, body wash, etc etc
https://shop.super-pharm.co.il.....D_BwE

If you prefer english - try this
https://5dakot.com/en/category.....eauty

https://shoppy.co.il/?srsltid=.....X1_uV

Do you really need the personalized card? Wont she have a phone and whatsapp?

Elfrida  

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 9:07 am
Just out of curiosity, I looked up the prices of the items in the basic kit on Superpharm's website. It comes to about 35 shekels, or about eight dollars. So it's up to you if you think it's worth it to pay more than twice as much just to get it delivered to the door with a little note.

I wouldn't think it was worth it, but seminary girls have their own priorities, and maybe the delivery means it's worth that much to them.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 6:23 am
amother Junglegreen wrote:
You need israeli formulated shampoo for israeli water. And you will find there is no room to pack it.

They sell Israeli and foreign shampoo brands here and they all work fine.

The local Israeli brands do tend to be cheaper. Give them a try!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 10:18 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Pads for a while year? Excuse me but that is ridiculous. Why shlepp pads from the US when you can get them here?

You can buy pads in Israel, but they're not the same - depends how particular your daughter is.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 11:38 am
I was very happy with https://semdeliveries.com/
They deliver toiletries and school supplies straight to the seminary

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 1:09 pm
A good pair of waterproof boots or booties.
When it rains there is a lot of big puddles all over and rain can pour down in every direction. Raincoat or waterproof jacket or coat with hood. Rains in winter. Can also be windy when it rains
Umbrellas don’t always hold up

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 1:16 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
A good pair of waterproof boots or booties.
When it rains there is a lot of big puddles all over and rain can pour down in every direction. Raincoat or waterproof jacket or coat with hood. Rains in winter. Can also be windy when it rains
Umbrellas don’t always hold up

Now this is indeed a very good advise!

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 1:36 pm
Can anyone recommend a jacket or coat? Inexpensive but still in style. With a hood.

b_forsher  

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 4:32 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
Could you please post the exact web address? It doesn't come up with anything...

[unpaid ad removed]

b_forsher  

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 4:42 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Just out of curiosity, I looked up the prices of the items in the basic kit on Superpharm's website. It comes to about 35 shekels, or about eight dollars. So it's up to you if you think it's worth it to pay more than twice as much just to get it delivered to the door with a little note.

I wouldn't think it was worth it, but seminary girls have their own priorities, and maybe the delivery means it's worth that much to them.

If there's any issues with Superpharm deliveries and they have no sim card yet that could be an issue, and unless they speak fluent Hebrew they'll have to break their teeth...
The whole idea is that it's an extra gesture, and those always cost a little more. All services are like that. It means a lot to the girls to receive a warm package and I'm definitely planning on using it...
Also, American products are super expensive in Israel. I remember that from when I went, and my daughter said they only went up in price...so they're not that much more on the website. 5dakot requires 300 shek minimum for delivery. The whole thing that's nice about [unpaid ad removed]is that in the middle of jetlag and adjusting and unfamiliarity - like anyone who has been to sem knows - it's a hug from home, and extra sweet gesture. Anything made easier when you just land means a lot to the girls.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 4:50 pm
b_forsher wrote:
If there's any issues with Superpharm deliveries and they have no sim card yet that could be an issue, and unless they speak fluent Hebrew they'll have to break their teeth...
The whole idea is that it's an extra gesture, and those always cost a little more. All services are like that. It means a lot to the girls to receive a warm package and I'm definitely planning on using it...
Also, American products are super expensive in Israel. I remember that from when I went, and my daughter said they only went up in price...so they're not that much more on the website. 5dakot requires 300 shek minimum for delivery. The whole thing that's nice about [unpaid ad removed]is that in the middle of jetlag and adjusting and unfamiliarity - like anyone who has been to sem knows - it's a hug from home, and extra sweet gesture. Anything made easier when you just land means a lot to the girls.

A little more is one thing. Two and a half times more is another. If you want to use it, go ahead, but honestly, for the same price you could order a far larger quantity from amazon that would also be delivered directly to the seminary.

Incidentally, I went to seminary. I took a bottle of shampoo with me, and replaced it as necessary. It made life a lot easier than having to look for deliveries. I wanted to have a shower, not get a hug from home. Parcels from home were for special treats, not daily necessities.

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 5:11 pm
b_forsher wrote:

Question: Are the girls not allowed to do shopping on their own? Why do they need a delivery to the sem? IMHO you bring one new bottle of shampoo with you and when it's running out you go to Superpharm or a supermarket.

b_forsher

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 5:18 pm
Elfrida wrote:
A little more is one thing. Two and a half times more is another. If you want to use it, go ahead, but honestly, for the same price you could order a far larger quantity from amazon that would also be delivered directly to the seminary.

Incidentally, I went to seminary. I took a bottle of shampoo with me, and replaced it as necessary. It made life a lot easier than having to look for deliveries. I wanted to have a shower, not get a hug from home. Parcels from home were for special treats, not daily necessities.

I totally hear that. Amazon, actually, would cost triple the amount to get free shipping to Israel - I looked into it. This is a special treat - ordering once for when she lands. Comparing to the prices of American products in Superpharm - it's not that much more. I prefer to make this gesture. Whatever works for each person

Last edited by b_forsher on Sun, Aug 25 2024, 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info