Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Stops otw from lakewood area to Niagara falls

eishis chayil  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:50 am
Hi can anyone share stops on the way that won't add more travel time? Has anyone stopped at yaman Park?

Cmon be nice  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:59 am
About an hour before that, as you enter New York State on the I-81, as you probably will coming from Lakewood, there is a welcome center with a nice building, plus a small park outside for kids.

eishis chayil  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:07 am
Cmon be nice wrote:
About an hour before that, as you enter New York State on the I-81, as you probably will coming from Lakewood, there is a welcome center with a nice building, plus a small park outside for kids.

Thanks so much know what it's called?

If I stop there where can I stop later to break it up?

lkwdmom2

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:12 am
Corning museum
Watkins Glen

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:27 am
eishis chayil wrote:
Thanks so much know what it's called?

If I stop there where can I stop later to break it up?

Southern tier welcome center.
https://www.iloveny.com/listin.....5694/

When we go, we usually stop on the NYS Thruway, as the reststops there ar elarge also, and theyve been redone. But it depends on how you go, and how much you want to stop

sky  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:30 am
Watkins Glen - beautiful walk in gorge
Letchworth state park - amazing waterfalls

You drive a different route to pass these. On that route they are on the way.

Plonis

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 12:33 pm
eishis chayil wrote:
Hi can anyone share stops on the way that won't add more travel time? Has anyone stopped at yaman Park?

Yaman Park is very cute (not huge), but be aware that it has a beach area with swimming. Not visible from the playground area itself, but you should know about it in case it bothers you. There is also a skate park there, completely separate from the playground.

My kids also liked walking through the tunnel under the highway.

eishis chayil  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 12:56 pm
Thank you so much. I'm looking for a place where a 15 month old can run around so no falls or nature more like actual playground. The other kids might enjoy a museum or urban air or even arcades but gotta keep the baby in mind too. I'm sure some of these will be helpful. If anyone has more to share please post.

momallhours

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:42 pm
We travel to Toronto often and we always stop in Destiny USA in Syracuse NY. It is a great place for kids to run around it's a large indoor mall with many kid friendly attractions if you want to make it into a trip. Sometimes we just stop there just to let the kids run and then eat something. It's amazing and right of the 690 so no added travel time.

sky

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 12:50 am
The Syracuse zoo was great. Not too big. Animals aren’t far away. Very alert.
Not sure how far off the Highway.

doctorima

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:19 am
The Strong Museum of Play in Rochester is out of this world! It's directly on the way to Niagara and you could easily spend hours there - your kids will love it!

seeker  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 9:05 am
Would strong museum be worthwhile for teenagers without little kids along?

amf

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 9:11 am
seeker wrote:
Would strong museum be worthwhile for teenagers without little kids along?

I enjoyed it as an adult
It depends on your kids though

eishis chayil

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 9:07 pm
If I'm traveling back home can I still stop at southern tier? I'm upset I missed that park

UQT

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 9:16 pm
Thanks to whoever recommended the museum of play. It was fabulous!

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 1:52 am
I don't know what's on the way to Lakewood but we stopped at Watkins Glen and Corning Glass Museum - within half hour of each other and both were HUGE hits! Absolutely beautiful. And we barely spent any money - you can park by Watkins Glen for $10 but I found a spot across the street easily. And Corning only charges for adults (17 and up. I notice that most places now start adult pricing at 13 which I don't understand and is very inconvenient) - excellent bang for buck for a family. Plus, Corning is open until 7 in the summer and maybe other high tourism times, which makes it great for a stop on the way somewhere. Other legs of our trip the options were much more limited because most museums close at 4 or 5, so once you finish one activity and drive to the next destination, everything is closed. We ended up doing silly arcades and stuff to break up the trip because it's the only thing still open after 5.

Anyway long story short go to Corning and Watkins.

Note that Watkins has a lot of stairs so if your knees are getting old it's not the greatest - though you can send some of your party ahead while you sit it out after fewer stairs, there's plenty to see near the beginning of the trail.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics