Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Belz Lakewood, is this true?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
  Springgreen

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 3:52 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
I have friendly relationships with women in the Belz community in Lakewood through my business.

It seems like quite a wealthy community to me, based on buying habits, expensive clothes worn by the women and their kids, vacation descriptions, leisure activities of the woman (regular lunch groups at pricey restaurants, hobbies), most of whom don't work. Over the years I've gathered that culturally , it's normal for the men travel alone- to Israel, to Europe - several times a year.

This is not my community, and I'm sure running a school is super expensive, but it does seem that at least some of the problem is a question of priorities.

Unfortunately maybe your not seeing wealthy customers . Your seeing customers without proper budgeting and financial skills. People who are used to shopping local end up buying expensive because stores are selling it and "everyone "else is buying it. people shopping or eating out and paying on cc often have no idea how out of control their spending

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 3:54 pm
amother Banana wrote:
What you are describing isn't exclusive to the belz community. It is rampant everywhere.

We need to normalize supporting our schools before spending money on designer things, trips, restaurants hobbies...

This won't happen today or tomorrow, I know - but please don't think it's ONLY happening on the belz community. This is part of the culture everywhere.

In the Lakewood yeshivish community this is only true about wealthy people. Most of the people I know do not live that type of lifestyle.

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 4:10 pm
amother Banana wrote:
What you are describing isn't exclusive to the belz community. It is rampant everywhere.

We need to normalize supporting our schools before spending money on designer things, trips, restaurants hobbies...

This won't happen today or tomorrow - but please don't think it's ONLY happening within the belz community. This is part of the culture everywhere.

I know you mentioned this here in this thread because it's about the belz school, but it would be unfair and foolish to paint it as a issue effecting belz only.

This is not the norm AT ALL in yeshivish communities. The wealthier communities, yes, but they charge much more tuition, accordingly.

If it's a budgeting issue within this community specifically than this is something that needs to be addressed.

Trademark

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 4:13 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
This is not the norm AT ALL in yeshivish communities. The wealthier communities, yes, but they charge much more tuition, accordingly.

If it's a budgeting issue within this community specifically than this is something that needs to be addressed.

Really?

I constantly see here threads about how everyone is affording this lifestyle etc, spending and standards are out of hand etc.

I guess you can find all kinds in all communities.

Most people I know in my community do not lead such lifestyles. Maybe her business attracts a certain kind of customer.

amother
  Banana  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 4:36 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:

I live in an extremely yeshivish community and people living above their means is absolutely rampant.

amother
  Banana

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 4:39 pm
Trademark wrote:
Really?

I constantly see here threads about how everyone is affording this lifestyle etc, spending and standards are out of hand etc.

I guess you can find all kinds in all communities.

Most people I know in my community do not lead such lifestyles. Maybe her business attracts a certain kind of customer.

I guess when we want to single out a certain Community (in this case belz), it's easy to forget about all those threads.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 12:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
What makes you think that all Belz men are going to Uman? That's just not true by any stretch. I'm sure the fathers all want to see their daughters in school & are doing whatever they can to make that happen.
You don't want to donate to this fund, and that's okay. But don't start putting down
others. That's not okay.

Belz men tend to go to Yerushalayim for Shabbos selichos with the Ruv. My husband isn’t going because we can’t afford it. It’s a nice thing, not a must.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:00 pm
I heard over shabbos that Satmer Lakewood didn't start yet either??

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:31 pm
Belz girls are starting tomorrow BEZH. Satmar girls scheduled to start Tuesday BEZH.

shev

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 2:38 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
Belz girls are starting tomorrow BEZH. Satmar girls scheduled to start Tuesday BEZH.

Satmar is only starting for elementary.
High School is prob starting after Sukkos. Preschool is also not starting.

amother
  Tan

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 2:47 pm
So interesting that two chasidish schools have this issue but no litvish schools in Lakewood as far as I’m aware. What difference is causing this?

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 3:10 pm
From what I’m reading here it seems like the one income household with vouchers and programs that works well for the chassidish in Brooklyn doesn’t really carry over to Lakewood.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 3:19 pm
amother Tan wrote:
So interesting that two chasidish schools have this issue but no litvish schools in Lakewood as far as I’m aware. What difference is causing this?

I’m guessing their school fees are way lower or they give bigger tuition breaks.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics