Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Should I ditch the paci?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 03 2024, 6:38 pm
Baby is 6 weeks old
Having the Hardest time getting him to sleep and stay sleeping bec the second the paci falls out, he flips out and needs us to put it back in for him. If he’s not in a deep sleep before it falls out he wakes up.
Do I ditch the paci and help him fall asleep without it? Is he too young?
I hate playing the paci game but he loves to suck and he’s too young to find it himself

amother
Milk

Post Sat, Aug 03 2024, 6:49 pm
I would stick it out in a few weeks he will be able to keep it in longer. I had one dc who didn't take the paci and it was very difficult.

tweety1  

Post Sat, Aug 03 2024, 6:57 pm
Don't ditch it. It's normal for that age to not be able to have the grip to keep it in. They learn as they grow older. If he loves to suck don't take it away. You'll thank me later.

amother
Winterberry

Post Sat, Aug 03 2024, 6:58 pm
Both my babies sis the same and I ditched it - but at a few days old. I do nurse though and I’m a human paci. You need to be prepared for that to happen.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Aug 03 2024, 7:03 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
Both my babies sis the same and I ditched it - but at a few days old. I do nurse though and I’m a human paci. You need to be prepared for that to happen.
You're not a human paci. A paci is in place of a human. Human mothers are the original pacis.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sat, Aug 03 2024, 7:05 pm
I wouldn’t he will get better at it soon.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sat, Aug 03 2024, 7:18 pm
I only had one so I don't know if this is good advice. But the main benefit, to my understanding, is that it's correlated with a lower risk of SIDS and by 6ms, it's advised to start weaning them (for mouth development reasons). My dd was very colicky but couldn't keep it in so we ditched it. She loved things in her mouth but couldn't keep that in and it wasn't helpful. Maybe it was a mistake to give up, idk, but her colic was already a lot better by 3 months and even better by 6 months.

My niece was addicted to her pacifier until she was over 2 and had a lot of ear infections, which I used to wonder if it came from the pacifier, but I don't know. (I imagine you need to be on top of sterilising them daily to avoid germ buildup.) It was also a huge process to get her off of it. So for me, it was one less thing to worry about.

Despite everything I wrote, our second is due any time now, and I wouldn't run to it immediately, but if it was the difference between happy baby or sad baby I'd definitely do it. It's just that it didn't work for our first so I looked at the positives.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sat, Aug 03 2024, 7:23 pm
We don’t do pacis at all. Definitely drop it. It’s a bad habit to start

otstud

Post Sat, Aug 03 2024, 7:28 pm
Pacifiers are great to help with regulation and calming. I encourage it because it’s so helpful.

missmuffetsmum

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:13 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
I only had one so I don't know if this is good advice. But the main benefit, to my understanding, is that it's correlated with a lower risk of SIDS and by 6ms, it's advised to start weaning them (for mouth development reasons). My dd was very colicky but couldn't keep it in so we ditched it. She loved things in her mouth but couldn't keep that in and it wasn't helpful. Maybe it was a mistake to give up, idk, but her colic was already a lot better by 3 months and even better by 6 months.

My niece was addicted to her pacifier until she was over 2 and had a lot of ear infections, which I used to wonder if it came from the pacifier, but I don't know. (I imagine you need to be on top of sterilising them daily to avoid germ buildup.) It was also a huge process to get her off of it. So for me, it was one less thing to worry about.

Despite everything I wrote, our second is due any time now, and I wouldn't run to it immediately, but if it was the difference between happy baby or sad baby I'd definitely do it. It's just that it didn't work for our first so I looked at the positives.

Lol, I've never sterilised a paci in my life (I've got 4 kids, 3 took pacis) and the only ear infection I ever dealt with was with a 3yo who long gave hers up...

tweety1

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:38 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:

Ear infections related to the pacifier? Now that's a first. From all the Dr's and speech therapists I spoke to I never heard this before. Dental issue later on? Yes. But ear infections? Never. Even though form all my kids only one kid had a dental issue at around 2-3 years old that resolved on its own bh. Ironically, this kid has a gorgeous bite without braces.

imaima  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:47 am
amother OP wrote:
Baby is 6 weeks old
Having the Hardest time getting him to sleep and stay sleeping bec the second the paci falls out, he flips out and needs us to put it back in for him. If he’s not in a deep sleep before it falls out he wakes up.
Do I ditch the paci and help him fall asleep without it? Is he too young?
I hate playing the paci game but he loves to suck and he’s too young to find it himself

6 weeks is the prime time of fussiness
I would just get through it without changing any patterns. He might get back to normal by 12 weeks

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:50 am
I had 2 paci addicts and 2 who refused the paci no matter what. Definitely stick with it!!

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 5:01 am
I wouldn't push it honestly
I had
#1: no paci ever
#2: from 6-9 months (someone put one in her mouth and she wouldn't let go till I threw them out finally)
#3: didn't need. Took it away at three months
#4: ADDICTED. She is three and won't give it up. ..
#5: he is 4 months. He takes it sometimes but I didn't push it and he does not sleep with it.

imaima

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 5:03 am
I had just one who took the paci and it was my calmest easiest kid. Definitely stick it out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics