Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help! How do we wean off the paci?
Previous  1  2

ddmom

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 8:29 am
I'm not sure it's so terrible to have a paci just to fall asleep but I would make a very hard rule that paci doesn't come out of bed under NO circumstances ever!!
(That means not even on the couch or to the bathroom...)

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 8:31 am
Does she go to a dentist yet? Can you blame it on the dentist and say the dentist said no more pacis or your teeth may get boo boos?

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 8:54 am
Thanks everyone!
I ended up sitting next to her bed last night for a while until she finally fell asleep. She was super excited this morning when she woke up - she ran to tell everyone that she has no more paci.
I definitely don't want to force the issue or make her anxious/sad about it. So I guess I'll see what she says tonight.
Side note, anyone know of an ice cream store in Monsey that has purple ice cream? She has it in her head that thats what she wants.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 9:03 am
amother OP wrote:
So my daughter is nearly 3, very bright, verbal, mature. She still uses a paci to fall asleep though Sad. We’ve been talking about giving it up for months and she is super excited to be a big girl and go to the ice cream store when she does. The problem is though, she can’t seem to fall asleep without it. We keep trying (she initiates this at bedtime!) but she’s having a really hard time. I’m sitting next to her now and it’s so cute how hard she’s trying but she’s been in bed for over an hour and she’s still awake.
How do I help her with this?

I'll bite. You don't wean. You let the kid do it themselves when they're ready. My mil took away a paci from my sil at age 4/5. She still needed the security. She took her finger. That was alot harder to give up. All my kids end up giving up the paci sooner or later. Some older some younger. A finger is connected to you for life. A different sil of mine still today can find herself in middle of the night with the tip of her finger in her mouth. She's mortified and tried so many tricks.

amother
  Peony

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 9:18 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone!
I ended up sitting next to her bed last night for a while until she finally fell asleep. She was super excited this morning when she woke up - she ran to tell everyone that she has no more paci.
I definitely don't want to force the issue or make her anxious/sad about it. So I guess I'll see what she says tonight.
Side note, anyone know of an ice cream store in Monsey that has purple ice cream? She has it in her head that thats what she wants.

Would purple sprinkles be an acceptable company? Might be easier to find.

amother
  Natural

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 1:08 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
Does she go to a dentist yet? Can you blame it on the dentist and say the dentist said no more pacis or your teeth may get boo boos?

Yup this is what we did.
Except we didn’t say boo boos. We just said their teeth would get crooked and look really bad….

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 1:27 pm
I know this is not helpful right now but mabe for your next one.
How about don't start with the pacifier in the first place?
My kids had it till three months which is when sucking isn't really necessary for them to calm themselves.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics