Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Where to get a High School Diploma

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 3:00 pm
Where is the easiest, best place to get a high school diploma? With minimum costs?
Any resources would be greatly appreciated. TIA

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 3:01 pm
Did you or whoever needs the diploma not graduate? That's usually the easiest option out there...

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 3:03 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Did you or whoever needs the diploma not graduate? That's usually the easiest option out there...

I was deliberating if I needed to add that or not, since to me it's obvious if I'm posting this question here then the school is not an option for various reasons.

Anyone know which courses you need to complete to get a diploma? And where to take them?
Does the library offer something like this?

watergirl  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 3:05 pm
I think you are asking about a GED, not a diploma. The best place to get a HS diploma is in high school. If you are past that point, you'd need to get a GED, which is the HS equivalency.

Here is an explanation of the different kinds of HS diplomas. https://www.uscareerinstitute......hool.

Depending on where you live, you'd need a different kind of GED. One shows you've accumulated the knowledge one would generally gain by attending HS. The other is for college readiness and acceptance.

I suggest you call your local community college to find out what you need.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 3:06 pm
Why don’t you get a GED?

If you have a JUNIOR COLLEGE near you they can give you info.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 3:07 pm
Watergirl, thank you so much for that helpful information. It's very appreciated.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 3:08 pm
What is a junior college?
Thank you midnight.

watergirl  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 3:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was deliberating if I needed to add that or not, since to me it's obvious if I'm posting this question here then the school is not an option for various reasons.

Anyone know which courses you need to complete to get a diploma? And where to take them?
Does the library offer something like this?

Depending on where you live, most community colleges offer GED courses. I know there are even some community colleges who have a combined program in which the GED prep courses also count towards an Associates degree.

If you want free courses, you'd be best off googling to see what's out there, both in your area and online.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 3:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is a junior college?
Thank you midnight.

I'm not midnight but I'll answer.

Junior college is what Community College used to be called. For the last 20-30 years it's been called Community College. It means you can get a Associates there, but not a BA or higher. Many people go to a CC to get cheaper credits for general ed (required basic classes) that are much more expensive at a regular four-year university or college.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 3:13 pm
watergirl wrote:
I'm not midnight but I'll answer.

Junior college is what Community College used to be called. For the last 20-30 years it's been called Community College. It means you can get a Associates there, but not a BA or higher. Many people go to a CC to get cheaper credits for general ed (required basic classes) that are much more expensive at a regular four-year university or college.
Again, every piece of knowledge that you share with me is very helpful. Thank you again.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 4:24 pm
There are a lot of free programs! OP if you want let us know where you are and we IM'H will help you find a free program.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 4:50 pm
I got my GED. I bought a big GED prep book to study from, and it had practice tests inside as well. Then once I felt ready I went and took the test

I passed pretty easily, most of it was just common sense really

In NJ you can take it online or at a test center. I believe it’s $36 per subject and there are 4 subjects

Each subject is long, between an hour or two. I did my test in one shot and I think it took around 7 hours, but I believe you can break it up into 2 days

For the online version you need to pass a practice test before doing it

NechaMom

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 4:59 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
I got my GED. I bought a big GED prep book to study from, and it had practice tests inside as well. Then once I felt ready I went and took the test

In NJ you can take it online or at a test center. I believe it’s $36 per subject and there are 4 subjects

Each subject is long, between an hour or two. I did my test in one shot and I think it took around 7 hours, but I believe you can break it up into 2 days

To think we sat through four years of high school if we could've done it in 7 hours. Punch

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 5:19 pm
What state are you in and is the person over 18? If not, how old? There are laws governing how old you have to be in order to take a GED, and some states require you pass an official practice test first.

Many districts also have adult education offices and in big cities it's more common to go through them than community colleges. So why don't you provide a little more information and we can direct you to a specific place.

You also need to make an account on ged.com

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 5:31 pm
If you're not the Google type, you can walk into your local library and ask. That's how people used to do it before the internet.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 5:46 pm
amother Ecru wrote:

I took the GED about 20 years ago at a test center. It wasn't hard if you actually went to school. (My school didn't offer diplomas.)

Google GED tests near me

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 5:55 pm
amother Ecru wrote:

How many years ago did you take it?

My experience is similar, it was 17 years ago but I hear it's gotten harder since.

( I had tried the practice quizzes in a GED book so I figured id probably pass without studying, and I did. It was several tests over 2 days and the questions were mostly common sense.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics