Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
No school yet
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 12:23 am
Anyone else here from Lakewood doesn’t have a school for their kid yet?

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 12:31 am
Yes me I heard there are 60 girls that don’t have a school yet (high school)

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 12:34 am
I’m talking about primary. just wondering how many people are in this situation and how you’re staying sane

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 12:52 am
Me. I know of a couple other. Feel like there’s no one else though. It’s very hard

Molly Weasley

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 1:23 am
What's the usual method here? Do you have a Ruv helping you?

amother
Lemonchiffon  

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 4:27 am
No school for my twins going into primary. I just keep telling myself that nobody stays home the whole year so something has to open up.

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 8:39 am
Oh my that’s so hard

My cousin had that last year and I don’t know how she stayed so strong and sane

But she did!

I assume you’re in contact with the vaad or other people who can try to pull strings?

amother
Offwhite

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 9:43 am
Oy that's horrible.

I never had that bad, but I did get rejected/no answer from four schools when I applied for my son many years ago. Two of which I actually had what I thought was pull, in.

In the end we applied to a school that was only in its second year and my son was in the third year. The first few years the classes were very small with barely 20 kids and now it is one of the most sought after school, 10 years later.

Please be open to sending somewhere new as long as the principals & goals seem to align with your hashkafos.

I cannot imagine the pain you're going through and I am keeping all of you in mind.

amother
Celeste

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 10:17 am
No ideas for you but I'm sorry for what you are going through. The system is brutal.

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 5:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m talking about primary. just wondering how many people are in this situation and how you’re staying sane

Me but that's because the special ed school he was in, they had an incident there and it was decided from CPS/welfare office that he cannot go back. Then we had to wait for recognition from a different bureaucratic body to allow admittance to a wider range of special ed. Then it was vacation for the special ed coordinators. So now we find something and then get it rubber-stamped when they get back, or we wait till they get back and help us get placed.

Nothing to do with the system just that I didn't run with it the moment we got recognition and it was a matter of days till the deadline. I was too overwhelmed and juggling too many balls and this one which requires a lot of headspace and time and quiet space to talk, AND must be done in business hours, got dropped.

I'm not staying sane and I told the person I spoke to today (secretary for intake for the other body) that if we aren't placed quickly I will go insane and lose my mind, after she pointed out that it can take months for placement. I said it can't take months I will not last that long, I need early September. There is enough on record that when I say I won't last that long there is good reason for it, everyone who knows the case knows it is urgent, she simply doesn't know us (yet).

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 6:41 pm
We had this with DD many years ago. We thought we had been accepted, when the school changed their minds (too many staff kids), we called the vaad. We hadn’t heard back June time so we called again. The vaad person we spoke to was shocked, he said the school had agreed to take us Pesach time. Turns out the husband was willing to take us (and make the class 26), the wife said absolutely not, and he bowed to her without letting anyone know. We worked with the vaad but really weren’t happy with the options they offered us. 1 school was a great school, but it really didn’t make sense for our DD-her kindergarten teacher (who sends there-starting a year later) said it just didn’t make sense for her personality/intelligence level (DD is very bright but a very out-of-the-box thinker/personality). The other was owned/run by people we didn’t trust in terms of chinuch (we had had previous dealings with them and knew our ideas about what was best for children were VERY different).

We actually applied (or tried to apply) to the 1st school but everyone knew it was a bad idea so we were all dragging our feet.

A week and a half before school started we heard about a different school from an acquaintance and it sounded perfect for us. We found someone who knew someone who convinced them to give us an application. We filled it out right away and took it back and told the secretary that it wasn’t that they were a last/desperate choice but we thought we had had a school and had only just heard about them. Then we waited. The principal called me late Friday afternoon (I think we applied Wednesday) and asked me to explain what had happened. I did, she asked a few short questions then asked me to give her the weekend to do her research. They called Monday morning and asked us to come in for an interview that afternoon. We did and we were thrilled with all we heard. I guess the principal liked us, too because before we left she gave us our acceptance. Wednesday was orientation so we had one day to do all of her uniform and supply shopping. We did it and the school was the best thing that happened to us.

I hope this gives some people hope!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 10:22 pm
I’m without a school for my primary dd as well!! The unknown is the worst

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 11:48 pm
Just got accepted to a mesivta for DS on Friday. Now we have to hope he agrees to go! (It is far from his first choice)

amother
Lightpink  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:38 am
my dd doesn't have a school yet either and primary starts this Thursday!
Constantly in touch with the vaad but wondering if they had no luck till now what are the chances of her getting in before school begins?

The stress is unbearable.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:49 am
Yes it’s so painful and unfair to the kid. And scary to think that your kid might be the one who doesn’t start school with the other kids. The unknown is the worst

amother
  Lightpink

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 11:04 am
Do the schools / vaad allow the school.year to begin with girls still not in school?

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 11:42 am
I feel so bad for you!!!

I hope things come to a quick and satisfying acceptance soon.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 11:47 am
amother Lightpink wrote:
Do the schools / vaad allow the school.year to begin with girls still not in school?

Yes. 💔

lala3

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 1:08 am
Anyone have any luck with schools ?
No luck here yet Sad

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 1:13 am
Nope 💔
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics