Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I think I was just scammed out of all my money
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:43 pm
I own a Mac and an iPhone.

When I opened the computer this morning there was this notification that the my info was compromised provided with a number for Apple Support.

I called the number and some Indian answered the phone. At first it sounded legit; they didn't ask me for any private info or anything but then they said that 3 other people have access to my phone and banking app.

And I was STUPID AS HELL and like an idiot I transferred my money to an external account that they told me and now I realize I was scammed out of every dime in my account.

I'm usually so sharp and suspicious I can't believe this happened to me.

I called my bank to file a dispute but they said they're unable to do that bc I initiated the transfer.

Anything else I can do????

amother
Mimosa  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:45 pm
You can try the FBI they usually track and try to deal with these scammers. https://www.fbi.gov/how-we-can.....afety

amother
Firebrick  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:46 pm
OMG
Call you local police non-emergency line?

amother
  Mimosa  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:47 pm
Some basic rules to follow… never call any number or click on anything in your email or pop ups. Always call your regular bank number directly.

If there was an issue with your account you would never be transferring anything.

amother
Ebony  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:50 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
Some basic rules to follow… never call any number or click on anything in your email or pop ups. Always call your regular bank number directly.

If there was an issue with your account you would never be transferring anything.

Yeah, I'm sure OP knows all this too. How is it helpful to her now other then rubbing salt in her wounds?

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:52 pm
Omg im so sorry OP!

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:52 pm
Oy im sorry. That’s devestating

amother
Sienna  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:53 pm
It might sound random but what comes to my mind is the story of Yaakov Avinu and Elifaz. Elifaz was going to kill him but Yaakov said take everything I own and then I'll have nothing and it'll be like you told me.

Who knows, maybe you just saved your or a family member's life?

care4u

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:55 pm
Oy my heart is pounding for you!!

I hope you can get it back.

Sometimes, if you actually go down to the bank and if there is any Banker that you might have ever used before that you know, they might be able to try to help you more than just calling on the phone.

watergirl  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:57 pm
Just sending hugs. The IT guy at my work says the scams are getting better and better. Even the most savvy people are getting scammed.

amother
  Mimosa  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:58 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure OP knows all this too. How is it helpful to her now other then rubbing salt in her wounds?

It’s actually super helpful. And sometimes people don’t know and that’s how it happens. It’s good to know what’s always red flag. Don’t know why you are being so snippy.

amother
  Firebrick

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:59 pm
It's very normal to feel dumb, but you should know that the scams can be very convincing. They find a bit of info on you that makes you think they are legit.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 1:00 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:

They said there was an issue with my Mac and iPhone, not my bank account. They only said that later after driving me crazy for an hour. Guess that's part of the process for them....

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 1:00 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
It might sound random but what comes to my mind is the story of Yaakov Avinu and Elifaz. Elifaz was going to kill him but Yaakov said take everything I own and then I'll have nothing and it'll be like you told me.

what do you mean?

amother
  Mimosa  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 1:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
They said there was an issue with my Mac and iPhone, not my bank account. They only said that later after driving me crazy for an hour. Guess that's part of the process for them....

They have many versions anything they think will get people on the phone. That’s why I never call numbers that are sent to me. In this case I’d sooner pay a computer repair person to see what’s wrong than believe any of these messages.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 1:02 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
It’s actually super helpful. And sometimes people don’t know and that’s how it happens. It’s good to know what’s always red flag. Don’t know why you are being so snippy.

I know you meant well. Your comment may be helpful to someone who has not yet been scammed, but for OP, it's too late in this situation, she's already fallen for the scam. In this thread, support or ideas as to how OP can recover her money is needed, not how to prevent a scam.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 1:04 pm
Oy, OP, what a horrible thing!

I was just reading a horrible article this morning in WSJ that there are organizations enslaving people -- luring them to near Myanmar, then crossing the border, taking their passports and chaining them and torturing them if they don't generate enough income, forcing them to run scams of various sorts.

So it's not impossible that whoever you spoke to that scammed you has it way worse than you.

I hope you can get your money back.

And if not, that you find yeshua and enough to start again.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 1:06 pm
amother Sienna wrote:

Pls dont involve Yakkov avinu here!!

Beautiful

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 1:07 pm
OP, can you call the police? This scam is a crime. Maybe they can help.

amother
  Mimosa

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 1:09 pm
watergirl wrote:
I know you meant well. Your comment may be helpful to someone who has not yet been scammed, but for OP, it's too late in this situation, she's already fallen for the scam. In this thread, support or ideas as to how OP can recover her money is needed, not how to prevent a scam.

She’s been responding and seems unfazed. I think people need to not put their insecurities on others.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics