Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Machane kadosh
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 11:28 pm
Does anyone know what happens by the meeting? It's my first time going. Who am I going to meet with and how long is the meeting? What kind of questions will they ask me? I have no clue what to expect.

BusyBoys  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:03 am
Dh and I met with one of their employees.
We went through all devices and phones and told him what filter we have.
Then he checked and looked through it all.
All went well and we got a stamp of approval.
They offer the option of installing filter or block as well.

Something we had to do for school though we felt a bit violated

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 11:08 am
I could have written this. I have to go too so I can have my child registered this year. I don't have any filter as of now and I have a browser, whatsapp, Instagram... I have a lot of fear going and don't want to be made small and don't know what to expect. I also don't want to get rid of anything. I'm a responsible adult, have a password on my phone, and no other device at home. kids have no access to any media. Please advise or share your experience!!!!!! tia

BusyBoys  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:10 pm
amother Silver wrote:
I could have written this. I have to go too so I can have my child registered this year. I don't have any filter as of now and I have a browser, whatsapp, Instagram... I have a lot of fear going and don't want to be made small and don't know what to expect. I also don't want to get rid of anything. I'm a responsible adult, have a password on my phone, and no other device at home. kids have no access to any media. Please advise or share your experience!!!!!! tia

They didn’t force at all. Encouraged is the right word.
It did feel violating though- like being sent to principal’s office to make sure we’re good.
And he skimmed through devices as well.

I guess I passed inspection cuz I got a certificate, but I don’t have a smartphone ( yes iPad and laptop)so not sure what the case would’ve been if I did have.( school has a rule no mothers allowed to have smartphones)

amother
Sienna  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:30 pm
BusyBoys wrote:
They didn’t force at all. Encouraged is the right word.
It did feel violating though- like being sent to principal’s office to make sure we’re good.
And he skimmed through devices as well.

I guess I passed inspection cuz I got a certificate, but I don’t have a smartphone ( yes iPad and laptop)so not sure what the case would’ve been if I did have.( school has a rule no mothers allowed to have smartphones)

Where do you live?

I asked someone in Lakewood and she said the MK person didn't touch the phone, just discussed what they should do.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:49 pm
With us they didn’t look st our devices but they wouldn’t sign off unless we had certain things done. One was block off images in Amazon which they wanted us to go to GenTech for. We also weren’t allowed any social media like Instagram etc. this may be school specific but honestly our school is a bit to the left for Lakewood.

BusyBoys  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:12 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
Where do you live?

I asked someone in Lakewood and she said the MK person didn't touch the phone, just discussed what they should do.

I live in Lakewood.
Reading this- I’m wondering if every school has their guidelines that they requested of them to check.. it’s all possible. And that will answer my question of why they did differently by others..

amother
  Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:23 pm
Very possible. Also even more disturbing.

cnc  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:36 pm
Every school has their own guidelines.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:45 pm
This is so stressful. I think schools need to let parents know beforehand. are they parenting the adults by going through their phones? How is it their business as long as the kids don’t have access? Just for an example. I don’t need some random men knowing what I post on imamother!!!

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 11:38 pm
Can my husband go to the meeting instead of me or do I have to go specifically?

BusyBoys

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 12:10 am
amother OP wrote:
Can my husband go to the meeting instead of me or do I have to go specifically?

In my case we both needed to be there

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 1:16 am
Is it true that they want everyone to use the gentech filter and then gentech has access to everyone’s browsing history so they can spot check ?
Just feels so awkward to think they will be reading about my yeast infections and my pharmacy app with my birth control refill notifications….. etc

Also, at the meeting, will they be looking through my phone ? I really have some personal stuff on it. Not bad , just personal

cnc

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 1:31 am
I did it last year- they absolutely do not go through all your stuff. It happens to be the smart phones in my household were already filtered thru Gentech and the rest were talk and text or talk only phones. They were able to see what filters I had in place already and gave suggestions about things that I might want to change. Nobody forced me to do anything and they were extremely respectful and nice. For example, I had Spotify on my phone and they asked me if I would like to have the album covers that appear, filtered so that no inappropriate pictures show up. I had not even realized that it was an option and agreed. My Spotify did not work properly a couple of days later and I had a feeling it was because of that so I just called them and asked them to remove the filtering that they put on there and they did it immediately , no questions asked.
It's very possible that it is dependent on your specific school's guidelines but surprisingly I had a very pleasant and smooth experience. (I was very nervous before my appointment...)

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 8:37 am
The gentech filter is pretty expensive. Are there any cheaper or free options that they allow for filtering?

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 7:53 am
Bump

amother
Geranium

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 7:59 am
amother OP wrote:
The gentech filter is pretty expensive. Are there any cheaper or free options that they allow for filtering?

Mb smart, a filter put out my tag is cheaper . However, I think it MAY be more restrictive. Ask! Originally they told me you can't have a browser with MB smArt, only apps, but I said I teach and need it for work /research, and they put on a filtered browser.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 8:00 am
Is there a specific filter I need to install or can I install any filter? Just wondering what they will tell me when I go to the meeting.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:24 am
Bump

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 8:09 am
How long does the meeting usually take?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics