Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How long to settle estate/distribute yerusah

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:09 pm
How long did it take from when your family member or whoever was niftar until you got your share of the yerusha. I’m trying not to get frustrated by what feels like people dragging their feet, trying to remind myself that I’ll get exactly what I’m supposed to get when I’m meant to get it but it’s easier said than done and I’m curious what other people’s experiences were. There’s no house to sell and it’s not a huge estate.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:16 pm
About a year later I got the money from my grandparents yerusha. His kids got much faster. The grandkids got later. (And my specific family got even later) . My grandfather left in his will money for his kids and money for his grandchildren.

amother
Charcoal  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:19 pm
Lol in one case there’s still unclaimed money from over thirty years ago

The parties involved who need to show up to the court have so much money BH that this money won’t make a diff to them

I feel otherwise but I’m not in charge

amother
Vanilla  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 1:15 pm
Immediately because parents had a Living Trust.

The assets are immediately able to be paid out to whoever are the beneficiaries.

mha3484  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 1:19 pm
My grandmothers took around 6 months. Her husband is an estates atty and wanted it done expediently.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 1:21 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
Lol in one case there’s still unclaimed money from over thirty years ago

The parties involved who need to show up to the court have so much money BH that this money won’t make a diff to them

I feel otherwise but I’m not in charge

There’s no court cases or disputes bH and we’re keeping our mouths shut both for shalom and because it won’t help but the fact that the person in charge doesn’t seem to need the money is likely a factor here as well.

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 1:30 pm
I've was never Zoche to get a Yerusha. If my grandmother left me anything noone ever told me, I'm better off assuming she couldn't for some reason. Maybe she only left to her children.

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 1:37 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
I've was never Zoche to get a Yerusha. If my grandmother left me anything noone ever told me, I'm better off assuming she couldn't for some reason. Maybe she only left to her children.

My husband’s very very wealthy grandmother only left to her children.

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 1:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
There’s no court cases or disputes bH and we’re keeping our mouths shut both for shalom and because it won’t help but the fact that the person in charge doesn’t seem to need the money is likely a factor here as well.

It’s not a dispute. The executor died and did not appoint a new executor so the money lies in limbo until relevant parties can show up to court with the proper documents to prove the death of their family members and prove that they are next of kin

amother
  Vanilla

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 1:40 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
My husband’s very very wealthy grandmother only left to her children.

This is pretty standard unless people have such a huge estate that they are setting up generation skipping trusts for tax reasons.

The reason why it is given to the children is that it is fairer since it means all the children get the same amount typically regardless of how many children they have. Otherwise you could have a situation in which there is resentment because one child had four children and the other ten.

Also what about grandchildren who were born after the death of the grandparent - giving to the child effectively provides for that contingency.

Often - but not always the grandparent might leave something sentimental to grandchildren - I.e. specific piece of jewelry to each granddaughter

amother
  Charcoal

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 1:42 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
This is pretty standard unless people have such a huge estate that they are setting up generation skipping trusts for tax reasons.

The reason why it is given to the children is that it is fairer since it means all the children get the same amount typically regardless of how many children they have. Otherwise you could have a situation in which there is resentment because one child had four children and the other ten.

Also what about grandchildren who were born after the death of the grandparent - giving to the child effectively provides for that contingency.

Often - but not always the grandparent might leave something sentimental to grandchildren - I.e. specific piece of jewelry to each granddaughter

I hear! Makes sense. Although I do frequently hear about people getting yerushas from their grandparents

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 1:43 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:

Its a good assumption. It’s common for people to leave everything to just their children. Between dh and I only 1 of 4 sets left anything to grandchildren.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 1:53 pm
I think it likely depends on age when niftar. I was almost 40 when my grandmother passed away, no new grandchildren and no major discrepancies in grandchildren. She also was re married so there was her money and their money.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics