Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Stubborn 5 yr old - looking for recc

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:52 am
I have an adorable 5 year old ds with a lot of spunk . My problem is he is extremely stubborn and will react for every little thing by hitting..

For example , I held his glass together with him while pouring in juice instead of letting him hold it alone. He starting hitting and kicking me, this was not even in my own home. This is a small example. He will hit me if someone else hurt him etc.

My go to discipline method is holding his hands to prevent him from hitting and telling him that hitting is not allowed. It doesn’t seem to be working.

I’m looking for a recc for a parenting expert that can help me teach him to calm down without giving into everything he wants.

If anyone has any phone numbers I would appreciate it.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:55 am
My son does similar. First I’d get him evaluated for OT. Also I tell my 5 year old he isn’t allowed to hit me. But if he feels the need to hit and punch he can go punch the couch or pillow. I have to walk him over there and leave him by the couch.

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:13 pm
My son is VERY similar. At that age I would have put the juice in an unreachable location while explaining to him that when he is done hitting and apologizes to mommy for hitting, he may then have the juice. And I'd say "I do not reward this behavior." Hatzlacha!

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:16 pm
I have a kid similar and I’m trying to get him OT. And maybe more. I want to understand him. He also hits the kids in his class Sad

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 2:11 am
Maybe try Dr Becky Kennedy workshops?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)