Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Would you request neighbor to be classmate?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:52 pm
My daughter is going to kindergarten knowing nobody. A neighbor of mine (all the way down the block) who she doesn’t know is also going to the school. I’m sure if they’re in the same class they’ll get to be friends, otherwise we have enough close neighbors we don’t have what to do with this family. Would you request a neighbor to be a classmate?

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:54 pm
Yes it’s nice to have a classmate nearby.

mha3484

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:55 pm
I always ask for my kids to have classmates that live near me. It makes socializing so much easier.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:16 pm
Thanks!

amother
Broom

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:19 pm
yes for sure

snooper86

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:30 pm
Neighbors is not an issue at all. It gets stickier when its cousins or aunt/niece etc.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:33 pm
Yes, projects and the likes are always nice

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:08 am
Neighbors is not as bad as cousins. But I think any forced relationship can potentially be a problem. There are so many classmates who couldve/would've been friends but when there is that underlying expectation it can get sticky.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:17 am
amother Indigo wrote:
Neighbors is not as bad as cousins. But I think any forced relationship can potentially be a problem. There are so many classmates who couldve/would've been friends but when there is that underlying expectation it can get sticky.

It doesn't need to be this extreme. If they don't vibe, their parents don't need to force it. It's generally nice to have kids from your class on your street.

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:05 am
I had this and I don’t recommend. some years it was great but some years it really made things more difficult. I would never request it. I would just do nothing and if school does it on their own then so be it. I do not see it as a plus

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:08 am
amother Phlox wrote:
I had this and I don’t recommend. some years it was great but some years it really made things more difficult. I would never request it. I would just do nothing and if school does it on their own then so be it. I do not see it as a plus

Why?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:13 am
It depends. If it’s next door definitely no. It’s too much. Down the block in a city or around the corner in a more spread out neighborhood is great.

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 2:10 am
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Why?

one year my son had bullying issues and this kid was one of the kids harassing him. was not helpful tht this kid was also three doors down when he got some from school. it was just for one year and now they r ok with each other not exactly
close friends but they hang out from time to time. the point is tht if the neighbor friendship or classmate friendship doesn’t work out then u take ur problems to school and bring them back home as well. and there was no way to know this before they started school. they were good friends before the school year started together with a couple other neighbors in diff schools. has no way to know this was gonna become an issue later on. I just wouldn’t recommend it.

Brit in Israel

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:25 am
Request as being in the same class but don't force the relationship. If it happens naturally great, if not classmates living near is always nice.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:55 am
No!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children