Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How can I be a better boss/manager?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 5:29 pm
I am in middle management. I want to do a better job at being manager/boss for my team. I have no control over salaries, bonuses, sick days, vacation days, etc. I can do small things, that's pretty much it. What would you like your boss/manager to do that would make you feel good at work?

amother
Geranium

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 6:11 pm
I would like not to be micro managed. It would also be nice to have a BBQ or a random bagels or pizza day.

singleagain  

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 6:20 pm
Make sure your staff have comfortable office stuff .. if you can approve little purchases such as new chairs, standing desks, wrist rests, ergonomic keyboards and mice.... Things like that. I know not all of these are like little but If you have the funds or petty cash or something and you know just to make sure that they're comfortable.... And I know it's silly but like my boss let me get colorful pens and it made me happy

DreamerForever

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 6:27 pm
Notice good work or when someone is trying hard and compliment. on a regular basis.

happyone

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 6:28 pm
Just letting them know they are doing a good job, and are appreciated, is sometimes all they need. Bring in little things like chocolate, or random breakfast or lunch to show them appreciation, with a handwritten note. Little gestures can go a long way.
Be honest as to how they are doing and guide towards successful change if necessary.
Communicate effectively, and let them know when changes may be happening in your company.
Offer small incentives like Starbucks / Dunkin donut cards, manicures /pedicures.

Last edited by happyone on Sat, Dec 30 2023, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 6:29 pm
Advocate on your employees behalf.
Regularly send emails of acknowledgement to an employee for a job well done and cc upper management.

singleagain  

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 6:30 pm
happyone wrote:
Just letting them know they are doing a good job, and are appreciated, is sometimes all they need. Bring in little thinks like chocolate, or random breakfast or lunch to show them appreciation, with a handwritten note. Littles gestures can go a long way
Be honest as to how they are doing and guide towards successful change if necessary.
Communicate effectively, and let them know when changes may be happening in your company.
Offer small incentives like Starbucks / Dunkin donut cards, manicures /pedicures.

I feel like manicure/pedicure is a bit over the line... Stick with coffee cards or even just a visa/amex gift card

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 6:36 pm
Good in the office
A happy positive environment
Weekly team meetings as well as meeting with team member separately

ShishKabob

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 7:50 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
Regularly send emails of acknowledgement to an employee for a job well done and cc upper management.
And cc the employee as well so they know you have their back.

amother
Candycane

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 7:53 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:

As a manager, I love this!

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 7:59 pm
Let the little things go! If an employee is doing their job great! Doesn't make a deference how their doing.

amother
Darkblue  

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 8:12 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
Let the little things go! If an employee is doing their job great! Doesn't make a deference how their doing.

Adding to this that when/if you assign them a new responsibility, give them some time to figure it out. Don't expect them to be perfect at it right away and don't get hung up on minor mistakes.

ittsamother

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 9:22 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
Adding to this that when/if you assign them a new responsibility, give them some time to figure it out. Don't expect them to be perfect at it right away and don't get hung up on minor mistakes.

But also make sure they really understand how to do the new responsibility. Don't assume they know what they're doing and just leave them alone for a while to get the handle of it- they can sink then and be too nervous to ask for more help. So stay on top of it in a non-critical-nitpicky way. More like checking in and going, "Do you have what you need to handle XYZ? Do you feel like you know what you're doing? Is there more guidance I can give you?"

amother
Lotus

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 9:26 pm
Ask them at regular intervals if they have any feedback on how things are going at work.

singleagain

Post Sat, Dec 30 2023, 9:26 pm
Also. Realize that people learn differently. When I was recently training someone, they needed me to slow down and take notes.

I personally find that I learn better if I watch a video of someone doing it.

Also, ask for feedback. Because like if they do a thing and they find a cool shortcut or you know this isn't a thing that you do every so often. Check in with them and see if there's anything that you can help do to make their job run smoother.

It just really sucks when I'm go to my bosses and I'm like hey wouldn't it be better to do it this way and they're like well do it the old way.

Even if for whatever reason you have to do it the old way just don't be dismissive about it. You know listen, sympathize, validate and say unfortunately the people above me won't change

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:02 am
Don’t make accusations. If someone makes a mistake, make sure it’s noticed so they can learn from it, but don’t treat them like a child about it.

amother
  Darkblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:16 am
amother Pansy wrote:
Don’t make accusations. If someone makes a mistake, make sure it’s noticed so they can learn from it, but don’t treat them like a child about it.

Tell them they made a mistake and give them a chance to correct it.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 12:36 pm
Listen to your direct reports' opinions. They can be experts in their work and have great ideas!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics