Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Your boss wants you to quit

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 6:20 am
I've been working in a school for 5 years with little kids and I love it and know I am good at it. I've been trying to get my foot in the door to use my talent with them, but my boss sees it differently. I'm being put in positions where it's sort of where I am not doing what I know I can do. I can't quit because we need the money but I don't feel good in myself and happy.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 6:31 am
Have you mentioned this to your boss? If it's not that you're being given higher responsibility to see if you're suited to a promotion, dust off your resume and start hunting for a new job while you stay in this one. Quit when you land something better.

amother
Snowdrop  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 7:02 am
I worked at a school for a number of years although I had professional training in another area. I didn’t feel that I was being treated well but stayed because it worked for my family situation. Eventually, they told me that they no longer had funding to keep me and fortunately I had another job waiting in the wings. As humiliating as that experience was, it pushed me to go to my real field. I cringe when looking back on that experience, but today I earn 4x what I earned there and have authority and respect. My other job made me doubt my intelligence and capabilities despite my investing time and energy. I saw other women also treated badly there. My advice is to line up another job and get out. You’ll be glad you did.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 7:14 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
I worked at a school for a number of years although I had professional training in another area. I didn’t feel that I was being treated well but stayed because it worked for my family situation. Eventually, they told me that they no longer had funding to keep me and fortunately I had another job waiting in the wings. As humiliating as that experience was, it pushed me to go to my real field. I cringe when looking back on that experience, but today I earn 4x what I earned there and have authority and respect. My other job made me doubt my intelligence and capabilities despite my investing time and energy. I saw other women also treated badly there. My advice is to line up another job and get out. You’ll be glad you did.

Exactly how I feel! How do you get through a year knowing who you can be but can't? I'm sad!

amother
Tealblue

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 7:59 am
I worked in a school for 5 years before making the decision to leave on my own. I was being mistreated by one particular person for no reason other then her disliking my hours I put in (she wanted a full time person for this particular position) and held it against me...I stayed cuz I needed the money , after being mistreated for so many years I couldn't handle it anymore I literally came home crying every day. Bh it was the best decision I have ever made and work now way less hours doing something I love and making so much more money. Hashem has his ways....don't give up.

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 8:07 am
I feel so validated and understood. Thank you for the advice...It gave me a lot of thinking to do!

amother
  Snowdrop

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 8:25 am
I'm sorry to say that I feel even some of our most highly respected schools mistreat women by severly underpaying them and assigning them menial tasks that they would never give to men. Some of the worst offenders were highly respected principals who acted as if I were their peon and spoke to me disrespectfully (both male and females.) I was a hard worker and put my heart into every project. Status was based on how much access you had to the leadership. Staff jockeyed for position and put others down to get there. I became the confidant of others who felt that they were being mistreated and that the culture was toxic. Fortunately, since leaving, I have regained my self worth, but it has deeply affected my feelings toward a place that I formerly held in the highest regard. Problem is that when you see how the sausage is made, you can be disgusted by the ingredients.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics