Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Going on vacation by myself?

amother  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 3:22 pm
I wanted to know if there is anyone out there ever went on vacation by herself. I never had a break and I really need one. Just 5-6 days. I can't go together with my husband as we don't have any family in town or someone who can take care of kids, carpools etc. My husband letted me go by myself, but I feel very awkward or weird just to be by myself. Anyone done that? Or should I look for a company?

I was looking into lifestylekoshervacations in Dominican. Anyone went there? Is that a good place? I just need to relax, forget about everything, rest, read a book, enjoy fresh air, and serve me meals Smile ...

Any ideas are welcome....

grace413

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 3:30 pm
I've gone away for 2-3 days by myself to relax. It was wonderful. That's exactly what I did; read, enjoyed the fresh air and the food that I did not have to buy, cook and clean up after.

Bonus points - your kids will miss you and your DH will appreciate everything that you do all the time.

sunny90

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 4:09 pm
That's my dream! Just me, a hotel room with a huge bathtub, a few books or my Kindle, and fresh air that I can enjoy all by myself!
If you can do it, go for it!

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 4:32 pm
I went to Israel 5 or 6 years ago on my own, sans DH and children. The main purpose was to attend a friend's wedding but I extended the stay and went to Carmel Forest. I didn't like the idea of staying in a hotel room by myself and eating alone (reminds me too much of business trips) so I invited my SIL and we had a fab time. It may be personality but I would like a good companion to enjoy and unwind. Also many of the vacation packages are priced on the basis of 2 adults sharing a room, and may have single supplement.

Maya

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 4:51 pm
Do it if you can.

amother  

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 4:54 pm
What she said. Cool

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 5:24 pm
I would love to do that... Can I join? Wink

Seriously, go for it.

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 5:28 pm
amother wrote:
I wanted to know if there is anyone out there ever went on vacation by Niherself. I never had a break and I really need one. Just 5-6 days. I can't go together with my husband as we don't have any family in town or someone who can take care of kids, carpools etc. My husband letted me go by myself, but I feel very awkward or weird just to be by myself. Anyone done that? Or should I look for a company?

I was looking into lifestylekoshervacations in Dominican. Anyone went there? Is that a good place? I just need to relax, forget about everything, rest, read a book, enjoy fresh air, and serve me meals Smile ...

Any ideas are welcome....

OP you are talking about the Dominican Republic not Dominica. Careful when you book your ticket.

Great resort owned by the condom company. The food is good. Chefs are on call for you to make you whatever you want. The resort is nice. Don't drive and be very careful there. The pools are private for each Villa.

I've gone away by myself. It is weird and relaxing at the same time. I hope you come back recharged.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 4:34 am
once upon a time, my grandma says, many frum women would take a vacay that way, just leave husband and kids home (or summer camp), sometimes for weeks ! they would go to the mountains, beach city, thermal city...

amother  

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 10:33 am
some weird quirk on my computer wont allow me now to post new post so I'll reply to this old thread and you will all forgive me....

In either case....

I desperately need to get away by myself.

Deos it make sense to book myself a room at the Avenue Plaza hotel?

any other suggestions. I need quiet but some noise.

I'm in Boro Park.

on a limited budget.

doctorima

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 10:48 am
If your goal is just to get away from home, I guess a BP hotel would accomplish that. For me personally, if I wanted a change of scenery, the Avenue Plaza just wouldn't cut it. Manhattan would be great, but it's not so easy to find something cheap. You could try HotelTonight, which often has great last-minute deals available. Depending on what you like to do, you could find a place on the Jersey Shore or a nearby city (Boston, Philly, Baltimore).

amother  

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 11:01 am
amother wrote:
some weird quirk on my computer wont allow me now to post new post so I'll reply to this old thread and you will all forgive me....

In either case....

I desperately need to get away by myself.

Deos it make sense to book myself a room at the Avenue Plaza hotel?

any other suggestions. I need quiet but some noise.

I'm in Boro Park.

on a limited budget.

Some other options close by.
Find a deal at a Manhattan hotel.
Book a room at Lxure in Kensington for something more luxurious.
Or take a room on the ocean in New Jersey.
Enjoy!

Simple1

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 11:12 am
There's a Raleigh women's retreat coming up soon. Not sure if it's too late. It was discussed here - maybe you can search this site, or someone else can tell you more.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 4:10 pm
I appreciate the replies

Looks like I'll have to use public transportation so if anyone knows anything else and would like to chime in I'll be very grateful

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 12:21 pm
if you only want to stay local - you can rent a bed in an apartment [I know s/o who does this] in manhattan & have yourself some FUN

go to a broadway show
have some fun tasting foods at different restaurants
are museums your thing - find one that is free
chelsea piers - I hear is nice
a boat/ferry tour around manhattan
get your nails done
go for a massage
buy some inexpensive gloves/scarves/trinkets from street vendors
take a horse & buggy ride through central park
go to the zoo [who doesn't love animals]

Fox

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 1:38 pm
A few years ago, my kids gave me a 2-day solo vacation in that cosmopolitan hotspot: Skokie, Illinois.

The Doubletree Hotel was within their price range, and I had a fabulous time. I ate take-out food, read my Kindle, and watched "Law and Order" re-runs.

I think it depends on the kind of "scenery" from which you need a change. In my case, it was my home office, the local grocery store, and the shining faces of my beloved DCs and DH. If that's the case, you don't need to leave the neighborhood -- just the responsibility of constantly being the adult on duty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics