Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What jobs dont exist in Israel?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:12 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
AFAIK PA is personal assistant and can be in many fields, not only medical.

I guess you’re just proving the point. All the Americans are speaking about a specific medical training field called a “PA” which doesn’t exist in Israel

small bean

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:22 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
AFAIK PA is personal assistant and can be in many fields, not only medical.

That's not what was being referred to.

Israel doesn't have PA's as in physician assistants. And even NPs are not really recognized.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:28 am
I mentioned upthread that dh works for the us govt and doesn’t know fluent Hebrew so could not easily find an equivalent position there. (My job is transferable most likely as I have an Israeli branch of my office but I make 1/3 of our family income)

But the main reason we haven’t moved yet is that my boys are so happy in their school bH and that’s not something to sneeze at. Honestly I don’t like the community I live in but this is the number one reason why we haven’t moved to Israel or even elsewhere in the US. The kids are happy, they are learning well, they have really nice friends. It doesn’t feel responsible to move with so many unknowns. (Dh and I don’t handle stress well at all.)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:45 am
amother Gardenia wrote:
I mentioned upthread that dh works for the us govt and doesn’t know fluent Hebrew so could not easily find an equivalent position there. (My job is transferable most likely as I have an Israeli branch of my office but I make 1/3 of our family income)

But the main reason we haven’t moved yet is that my boys are so happy in their school bH and that’s not something to sneeze at. Honestly I don’t like the community I live in but this is the number one reason why we haven’t moved to Israel or even elsewhere in the US. The kids are happy, they are learning well, they have really nice friends. It doesn’t feel responsible to move with so many unknowns. (Dh and I don’t handle stress well at all.)

Your expenses would most probably be less in Israel. Just saying.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:58 am
For those who are saying Israel doesn’t have PAs (physicians assistant) it’s not true!!
I am in nursing school and we just had a wonderful teacher who learned in PA school in Israel and is now a PA in the emergency room in Sharei Zedek
It is a very new program and they are introducing it slowly starting with a few departments (emergency, NICU, hospice, that I know of) but it most definitely exists! They call it an “עוזר רופא” and they can prescribe medicine, and have a much higher role in terms of patient care than nurses. They are basically doctors but need to be under the “guidance” of a רופא בכיר (senior doctor) in the department.
And in terms of NPs, they have those as well, also in specific departments, but we had a teacher who was an NP in the NICU (also sharei Zedek)
I’m sure to transfer a degree from America is complicated and I’m not sure how it works
But these jobs exist now and I’m sure in 5-10 years will be much more prevalent.
The health department definitely sees the advantages of having NPs and PAs take over some of the burden on doctors, especially in hospitals which are so understaffed!

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:03 pm
Industrial organizational psychologist

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:08 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Not speaking Hebrew is a barrier for most jobs in Israel.

Not neccesarily. Plenty of offices here (especially tech ones) actually prefer you to be fluent in English and take an ulpan to learn basic hebrew

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:18 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Your expenses would most probably be less in Israel. Just saying.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Tuition- yes. Food- not necessarily. I have a sister in Israel and it sounds like food is more expensive.
Health insurance- we have good health insurance at affordable price bec of my husband’s government job

I don’t think our expenses would be 2/3 less…

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:33 pm
I know nurses exist in Israel, but as far as I understand, it is nothing like being an RN in the US. In the US, it's a very well respected position, great salary, benefits and pension (if you work in a hospital). In Israel, being a nurse is not considered anything special and typically a low paying position.
Am I correct?

Also are there both LPNs and RNs in Israel?

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:53 pm
amother Grape wrote:
I know nurses exist in Israel, but as far as I understand, it is nothing like being an RN in the US. In the US, it's a very well respected position, great salary, benefits and pension (if you work in a hospital). In Israel, being a nurse is not considered anything special and typically a low paying position.
Am I correct?

Also are there both LPNs and RNs in Israel?

No, you're not correct.

It's not a particularly high salary, but it's enough. I earn above the average national wage, and I don't even work full time. If I worked in a hospital I would get more, since night and Shabbos shifts carry bonus pay.

I'm never sure exactly what Americans mean by benefits. Health insurance isn't an issue here, and isn't related to work. Payment into a pension plan is mandatory for every job in Israel. I also get an additional saving plan which my employer pays into every month. A full time employee gets eighteen days holiday a year, and part time employees get less in proportion. I don't remember the exact allowance of sick days, but I have enough at the moment to take four months off at full pay, should I have any serious illness. (I hope I won't!) That's not counting chagim, which are automatically payed time off. Next month I'll get a bonus for the summer holidays, and the month after I'll get a clothing allowance on top of my salary. A choice of either presents or a cash bonus (worth approximately 700₪) for Rosh HaShana and Pesach. A lot if this isn't specific to nursing, but comes along with most jobs.

I've never found any lack of respect for my position as a nurse (though there are always some difficult people).

Last edited by Elfrida on Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:58 pm
mummy85 wrote:
I know a Physicians assistant here who works in Shaarei Tzedek. It's a newer thing but it does exist.

I know one too. I think she works in Terem.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:59 pm
Elfrida wrote:
No, you're not correct.

It's not a particularly high salary, but it's enough. I earn above the average national wage, and I don't even work full time. If I worked in a hospital I would get more, since night and Shabbos shifts carry bonus pay.

I'm never sure exactly what Americans mean by benefits. Health insurance isn't an issue here, and isn't related to work. Payment into a pension plan is mandatory for every job in Israel. I also get an additional saving plan which my employer pays into every month. A full time employee gets eighteen days holiday a year, and part time employees get less in proportion. I don't remember the exact allowance of sick days, but I have enough at the moment to take four months off at full pay, should I have any serious illness. (I hope I won't!) That's not counting chagim, which are automatically payed time off. Next month I'll get a bonus for the summer holidays, and the month after I'll get a clothing allowance on top of my salary. A choice of either presents or a cash bonus for Rosh HaShana and Pesach. A lot if this isn't specific to nursing, but comes along with most jobs.

I've never found any lack of respect for my position as a nurse (though there are always some difficult people).

And also IIUC, you have 8 hour shifts vs. in America where it's often 12 hour shifts. 8 hour shifts sound so much more palatable. Oh and plenty of overtime opportunities here as well.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:05 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
And also IIUC, you have 8 hour shifts vs. in America where it's often 12 hour shifts. 8 hour shifts sound so much more palatable. Oh and plenty of overtime opportunities here as well.

Yes, in the hospital there are three, eight hour shifts each day. You rotate between them - there's no such thing as getting a job for the night shift.

The morning shift is normally 7:00 - 3:00. On winter Fridays, some hospitals change that to 7:00 - 2:00, so that if you're not working a shabbos shift, you have time to get home before Shabbos.
And on Shabbos, transport, with Arab drivers, is provided to and from the hospital.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:06 pm
A teacher of many years cannot suddenly start teaching in Hebrew. I would say that job is not transferable.

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:13 pm
Many jobs. I am going to list some jobs of my neighbors that would not be easy to work with if thye moved to israel. Either because in israel such jobs dont exist or because working with such are cnsidered low class there but not here.This is a chasidish neighborhood.

Contractor
Painting company
Nursing home positions. (A few types)
Plumber
Electrician
Real estate management company
Personal designer
Personal shopper
Kitchen installation guy
Kitchen company
English teacher (male)
Bus driver for yeshiva
Low voltage
Warehouse manager

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:23 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Many jobs. I am going to list some jobs of my neighbors that would not be easy to work with if thye moved to israel. Either because in israel such jobs dont exist or because working with such are cnsidered low class there but not here.This is a chasidish neighborhood.

Contractor
Painting company
Plumber
Electrician
Personal designer
Personal shopper
Kitchen installation guy
Kitchen company
English teacher (male)
Bus driver for yeshiva
Low voltage
Warehouse manager

Contractors do quite well.
Plumbers and electricians have to take a course since the components and standards are different.
Real estate management is different.
Kitchen guys are considered carpenters, but they do quite well if they know the right people, same with interior design.
There is a lack of bus drivers. There are chareidi companies.

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:26 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Contractors do quite well.
Plumbers and electricians have to take a course since the components and standards are different.
Real estate management is different.
Kitchen guys are considered carpenters, but they do quite well if they know the right people, same with interior design.
There is a lack of bus drivers. There are chareidi companies.

In NY/NJ heimish economy anyone can be anything. I am not referring to professionals.
Which is why chasidish ppl have such a hard time making aliya.

In EY most blue collar jobs require degrees and there is hardly a need for the jobs our husbands have here.
The only portable job I can think of is home based amazon business that some of my neighbors have. Non other would adapt quickly in israel

essie14

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:33 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:

Contractor
Painting company
Plumber
Electrician
Personal designer
Personal shopper
Kitchen installation guy
Kitchen company
English teacher (male)
Bus driver for yeshiva
Low voltage
Warehouse manager

Most of these jobs totally exist here .

Contractor - very well paying and perfectly respectful. Yes, you would have to start at the bottom, just like if you moved from anywhere else, but all the contractors I know are doing very well.
Painting company - also perfectly respectable and you can build up to be very successful

Plumber - the plumbers here who can work their way up to having a staff of people working for them do really well.

Electrician - same as in the states
What's a personal designer?
Personal shopper - I know 3 of them here

Kitchen install guy - this is a carpenter
Kitchen companies- there are so many! Israelis are constantly doing construction!
English teacher (male) - my kids schools have male teachers of all subjects including English

Low voltage - Most handymen do low voltage as well.
Bus driver for yeshiva - I see chareidi bus drivers everywhere

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:41 pm
essie14 wrote:
Most of these jobs totally exist here .

Contractor - very well paying and perfectly respectful. Yes, you would have to start at the bottom, just like if you moved from anywhere else, but all the contractors I know are doing very well.
Painting company - also perfectly respectable and you can build up to be very successful

Plumber - the plumbers here who can work their way up to having a staff of people working for them do really well.

Electrician - same as in the states

Especially now, there us a huge demand for avoda Ivri - Jewish, rather than Arab workers. They can do very well.

Legally there are qualifications, but a lot of kollel men who are good at things like that just set up as a handyman, and can do very well. They choose their own hours to allow them to work around sedarim.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:42 pm
Just FYI there is a huge huge shortage of contruction workers as from Oct 7th.
Huge shortage of drivers too.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions