Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Why can't I find a healthy diet muffin?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

imaima

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:14 am
Amarante wrote:
Depends on how you want to handle it

Pepperidge Farm makes packages of cookies that are delicious and portion controlled so perfect if you want a small nosh

I make Baked Oatmeal which is essentially oatmeal because it is oatmeal, milk, fruit (mashed banana and whatever fruits like blueberries or even raisins I add), vanilla, an egg and a small amount of sugar - this would be for eight portions. It is as healthy as a bowl of oatmeal but feels like I am eating a muffin or cake

Or have whatever it is in a small portion. There are lower calorie cakes or cookies that are delicious. My mother used to make a cake which subbed applesauce for fat and then she would cut it up in portions, freeze and have one as her dessert. But there are loads of recipes for healthy versions of desserts - but they are all going to be more than 80 calories unless you limit the portion size.

The quickest option is a square of dark chocolate over 70%

Then the same oatmeal can be made into a cookie (but the bake is quicker to make).

There are tons of recipes that have all the healthy stuff that are really filling like sweet potato muffins etc

mommyla

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:19 am
My dietician recommends the Shani Taub muffins as a treat. I think they are zucchini based. I buy a bunch and keep them in the freezer. Not sure how many calories but they’re supposedly lower carb and they taste pretty good.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:23 am
mommyla wrote:
My dietician recommends the Shani Taub muffins as a treat. I think they are zucchini based. I buy a bunch and keep them in the freezer. Not sure how many calories but they’re supposedly lower carb and they taste pretty good.

There is a company called Veggies Made Great which makes frozen heathy muffins.

They do a chocolate zucchini muffin which is actually pretty - a bit like a lava cake since you heat it in the microwave.

Costco sells them and the price per muffin at Costco isn't bad. Also available at other groceries in smaller packages but since they are already frozen a big package is fine because you just put the package in the freezer and use as needed.

I have also had their frittatas which are also like little muffins.

The size is smaller than a regular muffin but at least you know what their actual calories are and the ingredients are healthier

https://www.veggiesmadegreat.com

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:29 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
Strauss Bakery on 13&53 also makes diet friendly muffins that are approved by some nutritionists. Not sure on calories though…
mthise are around 130 calories

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 10:08 am
Layokee wrote:
So if I want something sweet to eat with a coffee, what options do I have?

Best option is to have a small peice of cake, or cookie or mini serving size anything and enjoy it guilt free. Think the queen at tea time. One bite or two, no more & no guilt.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 10:11 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
Best option is to have a small peice of cake, or cookie or mini serving size anything and enjoy it guilt free. Think the queen at tea time. One bite or two, no more & no guilt.

Food is not a moral choice, and there should never be guilt involved, unless you stole it or it was made with slave labor or something.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 10:13 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
I would not report to kashrus agency because its not about kashrus but you can try. I would definitely not report to the government because they have lots of corruption that is looked away from and no way a rav would say its allowed.

See almost everyone here knows a muffin is cake and claims of low calories only can be misrepresented (as in 80 calories per portion, 4 portions per muffin) or 80 calories of sawdust and ground foam cushion with natural flavors of yummy stuff.

Just bake blueberry muffins in mini tins and stick them in your freezer.

Or if you must have it out, go argue with Julie that she must post on the calorie sign how any servings are in the muffin. And ask for an apology and let her know how upset you are.

Trust me,, she knows exactly what she is doing. She doesn't care about apologies. She didn't say 80 calories per serving. She knows that by selling big yummy fattening muffins and saying they are 80 calories she will 1)sell more muffins and 2) she will bring in alot of customers.

It is dishonest.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 10:27 am
Chafetz chaim shmiras halashon shaila hotline 718-951-3696
9pm - 10:30 pm

This is where its important to be careful to follow halacha.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 10:32 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
Chafetz chaim shmiras halashon shaila hotline 718-951-3696
9pm - 10:30 pm

This is where its important to be careful to follow halacha.

ARe you trying to say that this thread is lashon haro? It might be. I've been thinking about it. On the other hand it is not lashon haro to let people know about a flawed purchase etc. I know that for a fact. If a store is selling flawed items it is NOT assur to let people know.
I consider this the same.
People are spending alot of money and time going to get these special muffins which are actually not good for them.
I am curious if you are JULIE or if you asked a sheila?

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 10:34 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:
ARe you trying to say that this thread is lashon haro? It might be. I've been thinking about it. On the other hand it is not lashon haro to let people know about a flawed purchase etc. I know that for a fact. If a store is selling flawed items it is NOT assur to let people know.
People are spending alot of money and time going to get these special muffins which are actually not good for them.
I am curious if you are JULIE or if you asked a sheila?

No, just a poster who read the 7 requirements of toeles page this week, I try to read a page a day.

hodeez

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 10:36 am
Just made zucchini+ cottage cheese egg muffins, thanks for the inspo

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 10:50 am
Amarante wrote:
There is a company called Veggies Made Great which makes frozen heathy muffins.

They do a chocolate zucchini muffin which is actually pretty - a bit like a lava cake since you heat it in the microwave.

Costco sells them and the price per muffin at Costco isn't bad. Also available at other groceries in smaller packages but since they are already frozen a big package is fine because you just put the package in the freezer and use as needed.

I have also had their frittatas which are also like little muffins.

The size is smaller than a regular muffin but at least you know what their actual calories are and the ingredients are healthier

https://www.veggiesmadegreat.com

These look great thanks for posting. Do you know what the hechsher is? A brief look shows a triangle K which I don’t believe is acceptable do you know? Thanks.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 10:51 am
Those were great I ate them for years but they changed to Triangle K which is not reliable. My local grocery store switched it from the kosher freezer to the regular freezer because its not kosher for mainstream orthodox standards.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 11:01 am
I don't know the calorie count, but I've made the dairy cheese muffins from best of kosher, and they're originally from Victoria Dwek's secrets of skinny cooking (I think the original cookbook includes calorie info etc, but I don't have that book)

They taste pretty good and I don't feel like they're as unhealthy as real muffins.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 1:46 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:

Two separate questions.

1. if someone knows a store is selling flawed items, can they warn people not to buy it?

2. if someone hears from a totally anonymous source that certain person is a liar and the items they are selling are flawed, are they allowed to believe it?

The answer to #1 might be yes (although afaik there are still question around whether you can only warn someone who might buy the goods, vs publishing it to the entire world). But the answer to #2 is almost certainly no.

Someone posting here under amother could be anyone. It could be an honest woman who was ripped of by Julie. Or it could be a business rival of Julie's. Or it could be her husband's vengeful ex-wife. Or her toxic ex-husband. Halacha requires (and just plain common sense requires) that we not jump to conclusions.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 2:21 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Two separate questions.

1. if someone knows a store is selling flawed items, can they warn people not to buy it?

2. if someone hears from a totally anonymous source that certain person is a liar and the items they are selling are flawed, are they allowed to believe it?

The answer to #1 might be yes (although afaik there are still question around whether you can only warn someone who might buy the goods, vs publishing it to the entire world). But the answer to #2 is almost certainly no.

Someone posting here under amother could be anyone. It could be an honest woman who was ripped of by Julie. Or it could be a business rival of Julie's. Or it could be her husband's vengeful ex-wife. Or her toxic ex-husband. Halacha requires (and just plain common sense requires) that we not jump to conclusions.

You know what, you are right I guess!
Being that I was the poster who wrote about that, I guess my bad didn't mean to make a whole lashon haro. Just warning this poster because I had the EXACT experience. I was simply a buyer looking for diet/health muffins and ended up feeling cheated and ripped off. Wanted to warn her. I have no relation to Julie other than that I bought some muffins by her. That's all. I'm going to ask a sheila if I was allowed to say it.
I do feel like it's something people should know honestly

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 3:42 pm
If it is indeed true, then it is important to publicize because of the potential danger to people who have medical need to count their carbs.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 5:56 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
If it is indeed true, then it is important to publicize because of the potential danger to people who have medical need to count their carbs.

For anyone interested in hilchos l"h from reading this week, this is what I got;

But anyone who has been personally affected cannot do it because their intention and feeling cannot be 100% pure. And the rest of us need to give benefit of doubt scenarios plausibility until we personally research it firsthand. And then we'd be obligated to speak to her first and only if we conclude that its exactly as op says, and she refuses to do anything to fix it, maybe we met some of the conditions necessary to take it public. But did we meet all the conditions? Its pretty serious stuff to do this particular l"h that affects parnassah. It must be done only in the right way. Its written about in many sources, l"h that affects parnassah.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 6:45 pm
I should add, I am talking about the 5 towns location saying the cc muffins are 80 calories. I cannot speak for the other flavors. But I just don't understand how!

PrairieFairy

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 7:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
I should add, I am talking about the 5 towns location saying the cc muffins are 80 calories. I cannot speak for the other flavors. But I just don't understand how!

Many people don't really read full nutrition labels. There is a tactic that food vendors use to "chap" people who are "lazy" or "uninformed" in that sense by listing the calories per SERVING.

A serving can be 1/4 of the muffin. Most people will eat the whole thing or most of it, but that's more than 80 calories, yet they are still being honest with the 80 calories.

Does it say 80 calories per serving? Might have to read the fineprint to see that....

Also. Imo, "diet" food is not really going to be conducive for weight loss past a certain point. The quantities and components can interfere with normal body cues. There are ways to have your cake, the regular full fat yummy cake, and still be a "healthy" weight...and then there's no need to spend $5/muffin on one specific cake. You can shop in the competitors store for a fraction of the price!

But that's just my experience.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics