Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What jobs dont exist in Israel?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:44 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
What does this mean? What kind of job? Why specifically manhattan?

Because there are unique jobs there that people move to the area for specifically. Risk management, vp of banking departments.. and similar for example

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:47 am
amother Honeydew wrote:
Because there are unique jobs there that people move to the area for specifically. Risk management, vp of banking departments.. and similar for example
Wait, there are such jobs in Israel. I mean, of course there is risk management and vp of xyz. Not sure how this is specific to any place.

essie14

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:52 am
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Starbucks actually has amazing benefits that most coffee bars don’t provide. Pretty sure they cover IVF and some people with infertility work for them just to get that benefit.

The state of Israel covers IVF. You don't need to work at Starbucks for that.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:53 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Wait, there are such jobs in Israel. I mean, of course there is risk management and vp of xyz. Not sure how this is specific to any place.

Not the same level. You don’t have those big banks or those high positions. They cannot move without downgrading their position majorly. I mean vp of major banks that don’t exist there. It’s not just a vp anywhere it’s a specific really high position. People move across America for those jobs, they exist in very few places.

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:18 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
What is this?

DEI stands for "Didn't Earn It" 😄

ora_43

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:23 am
Like other ppl here said, I'm guessing that most people who say "his/my job doesn't exist in Israel" mean something more like, "there's no way to simply move to Israel and apply to a job like mine - I'd have to completely start over."

So for example, there are speech therapists in the US and speech therapists in Israel, but if you move from the US to Israel you can't just run out and apply for a job as a speech therapist - you'd need to learn an entire new language to fluency.

There are family law lawyers in the US and family law lawyers in Israel, but it's a different system of law! You'd need to redo a lot of the training + experience.

There are business owners in the US and business owners in Israel, but if you move from the US to Israel you can't just go on AllJobs and look for "business owner" jobs (although to be fair, they do have a category for that) - you'd have to start again here with a new location, new contacts, new staff, new merchandise.

To be fair for any job there's going to be a little bit of retraining/language learning/adjusting. But it's still a lot easier to move countries as, say, a nurse or math teacher or fitness instructor. After a year or so of intense language learning + getting your foot in the door, you can more or less pick up where you left off.

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:23 am
My husband has a job on the executive/administration board of a Jewish institution. He's been there for many years, has no degree but has earned his way up.
If we moved to Israel, we wouldn't even know where to start with finding a job.
We have other reasons that it wouldn't work for our family right now but this is an example of a non transferrable position/job.

There's a difference between saying oh but these jobs EXIST in Israel and someone's likely hood of getting that job at a liveable wage in Israel.

ora_43

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:35 am
I know this deserves it's own thread, but... DEI gets too much hate

Hiding

I know there's a lot of dumb DEI out there that gets a bad name. But there's also some really solid, research-based stuff that's genuinely about making sure the most qualified person gets the job.

Just an example: a company realized that men were more likely than women to apply to certain roles. The DEI consultant worked with them on rewording their ads - taking out terms like 'rock star' and 'expert' that were more likely to scare off specifically women and minorities who were just as qualified as the white men who were applying - and the new ads got a gender-balanced group of applicants.

That's what a lot of DEI looks like. Not purple-haired genderqueer West-hating lunatics screaming at everyone that they're racist (that would be Tiktok). Just changing little kinks in the system that are making the playing field uneven.

Again, not denying that the bad stuff exists. But it's not the whole story.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:38 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Whats the difference between nurse and nurse practitioner?
And yes, I know that PA is not really a thing here. I know that NBN tried to start a course or something for that but I dont know if it ever got off the ground.

PA is a nice word for secretary and it surely exists.

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:39 am
Nursing home operator.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:43 am
amother Gardenia wrote:
Dh works for state government. That job doesn’t exist in Israel. I mean of course there are Israeli govt jobs but dh doesn’t speak Hebrew.

Anyone comtemplating aliya should make Hebrew learning a top priority.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:46 am
amother Mintgreen wrote:
U.s. army
UPS

Of course we have UPS here and additional courier service companies.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:48 am
Elfrida wrote:
I do t know how the salaries compare, but my friend us a school psychologist here in Israel, and she earns a comfortable salary.

Not speaking Hebrew would be a barrier.

Not speaking Hebrew is a barrier for most jobs in Israel.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:49 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

PA - personal assistant
PA - physicians assistant.

The first is a glorified secretary role, and does exist in Israel.
The second is a medical role, and currently has no legal recognition in Israel.

Success10

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:49 am
I understand that many are making nice salaries in the US, but factor in Israel's basically free healthcare and tuition. Even starting at the bottom in Israel might still make you better off than you were in the States.

It's worth crunching numbers.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:51 am
ora_43 wrote:
I know this deserves it's own thread, but... DEI gets too much hate

Hiding

I know there's a lot of dumb DEI out there that gets a bad name. But there's also some really solid, research-based stuff that's genuinely about making sure the most qualified person gets the job.

Just an example: a company realized that men were more likely than women to apply to certain roles. The DEI consultant worked with them on rewording their ads - taking out terms like 'rock star' and 'expert' that were more likely to scare off specifically women and minorities who were just as qualified as the white men who were applying - and the new ads got a gender-balanced group of applicants.

That's what a lot of DEI looks like. Not purple-haired genderqueer West-hating lunatics screaming at everyone that they're racist (that would be Tiktok). Just changing little kinks in the system that are making the playing field uneven.

Again, not denying that the bad stuff exists. But it's not the whole story.

While this can be true of SOME DEI hires, I still don't see an upside to trying to alter the percentages of, for example, genders in a certain field. Why should there be a goal of 50/50?

When you add to that the fact that they, whoever the they is, can make the goal be 75/25 because they seem it fair for some reason.... And the underqualified hires... You get your answer why so much hate

So many downsides, and the plus you mention isn't an upside, just maybe keeping things even

small bean

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:54 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

A PA is not a secretary. They can see patients, write prescriptions etc. You're thinking medical assistant. While it stands for physician assistant, it's actually higher than a nurse practitioner.

My sister is a licensed NP in Israel. Actually
was part of a pilot program in Israel (to license and recognize NP's and I believe her college was thru Boston. (She's a nurse in a clinic and teaches in one of the college programs) anyway she doesn't get paid more for being an NP. Where in America, you'd get paid more to be one.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:05 am
amother Bluebell wrote:
Most office work type jobs you won't be able to get until you have a full mastery of Hebrew without a strong accent, which is difficult for most adults.

Nursing home field unless youre willing to work American hours.

Anything that requires licensing that you can't just transfer. It doesn't make financial sense for people 5-10yrs into their profession to have to start certification from scratch, typically in another language, and then be paid like a beginner again. Think lawyers, accountants, brokers, trades, etc

If I move from Israel to the US it's almost obvious that licensing isn't fully transferable, right?
With the Russian aliya in the 90's there were doctors and engineers and many with higher educations and university degrees from highly respected institutions in the USSR.
They had to make courses to complete their degrees to be able to work in their field in Israel. And yes, they had to learn Hebrew just as anyone moving to them US is expected to learn English.
Making aliya isn't for everyone. You have to have a vision and ideal. Making aliya is many times sacrificing on one or more things. ארץ ישראל נקנת בישורים

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:08 am
small bean wrote:
A PA is not a secretary. They can see patients, write prescriptions etc. You're thinking medical assistant. While it stands for physician assistant, it's actually higher than a nurse practitioner.

My sister is a licensed NP in Israel. Actually
was part of a pilot program in Israel (to license and recognize NP's and I believe her college was thru Boston. (She's a nurse in a clinic and teaches in one of the college programs) anyway she doesn't get paid more for being an NP. Where in America, you'd get paid more to be one.

AFAIK PA is personal assistant and can be in many fields, not only medical.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:09 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
AFAIK PA is personal assistant and can be in many fields, not only medical.

The poster meant a Physicians Assistant which is a masters level medical professional who can treat patients, prescribe medications, etc.
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions