Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Newborn sleeping on stomach
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you let your newborn sleep on stomach
Yes  
 53%  [ 106 ]
No  
 32%  [ 64 ]
Only during the day/ Rarely  
 14%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 199

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 8:41 am
amother Daisy wrote:
Don't keep my kids in containers too much. Like I said, they just sleep ALOT. The type that will basically sleep through the night the day I bring them home from the hospital.

Delayed means not rolling over until 8 months, never crawling- they only scoot on their tush, and not walking until almost 2 years. This is with PT starting at 12 months Confused

The flat head- yes it resolves a bit as they get older, but I can definitely still notice it. It does worry me that they don't have nice round heads. Im nervous (for my boys) that their hats won't fit them properly and for my girls that their sheitels won't sit right/fit well

This amount of delay as well as flat head is not caused by sleeping on their backs. There is a genetic component to these also.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 8:52 am
amother Mayflower wrote:
This amount of delay as well as flat head is not caused by sleeping on their backs. There is a genetic component to these also.

Maybe. I only put one to sleep on her back. She is the only one with a flat head.
The older 6 don't.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 8:52 am
My children had terrible reflux and even after a significant time after feeding they were still very uncomfortable on their back. Figured stomach sleeping was safer for them or they could choke on their own spit up laying on their back.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 8:55 am
amother Mayflower wrote:
There's a gene for flat head?

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 9:18 am
amother Plum wrote:
That is significantly delayed. It is likely that their delays are not caused by sleeping on their back, especially if most/all of your kids followed the same timeline then it’s probably genetic. It’s likely made a bit worse by back sleeping but not the main cause. Once they’re turning over at 8 months do you put them on their stomach?

Also, are they home with you or sent to a babysitter? If they are sent out, at what age?

Ok, maybe there is a genetic component, but by now (ages 11, 9, 7, 3) their all totally normal and caught up. The delay is only in infant hood. Is that common for genetic components?

I usually swaddle them until 6-7 months at night. By 8 months, I put them in on their stomach, but they usually flip over and sleep most of night on their back since I think that's what they are used to.

2/4 were at a sitter starting around 6months. Other 2 were home with me until 1.5 years. Didn't notice a difference in their development.

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 9:23 am
amother Daisy wrote:
Ok, maybe there is a genetic component, but by now (ages 11, 9, 7, 3) their all totally normal and caught up. The delay is only in infant hood. Is that common for genetic components?

I usually swaddle them until 6-7 months at night. By 8 months, I put them in on their stomach, but they usually flip over and sleep most of night on their back since I think that's what they are used to.

2/4 were at a sitter starting around 6months. Other 2 were home with me until 1.5 years. Didn't notice a difference in their development.

Swaddling for so long might contribute to delays. I stopped swaddling at around 10 weeks and my 4 month old is now rolling over. He sleeps on his back

mom1st

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:34 am
amother Daisy wrote:

The flat head- yes it resolves a bit as they get older, but I can definitely still notice it. It does worry me that they don't have nice round heads. Im nervous (for my boys) that their hats won't fit them properly and for my girls that their sheitels won't sit right/fit well

So if you notice that your child has flat head, your are only concerned about hats and sheitels? Really?
I'm a big believer of sleeping on the back, and the flat head gets me a bit nervous, but because our head supposed to be round for a reason and that reason is definitely not "oy what is going to be with my kids hat and sheitel. What will the neighbor say when they look funny in them?" Really?!

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:56 am
Only supervised until they can pick up their head well when on their tummy and roll both ways

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 11:23 am
mom1st wrote:
So if you notice that your child has flat head, your are only concerned about hats and sheitels? Really?
I'm a big believer of sleeping on the back, and the flat head gets me a bit nervous, but because our head supposed to be round for a reason and that reason is definitely not "oy what is going to be with my kids hat and sheitel. What will the neighbor say when they look funny in them?" Really?!

Ummm, yes really. Cosmetic concerns are a real thing. Would you not get your kid braces if they have crooked teeth and only concern is cosmetic (no bigger issue with chewing/crowding or whatever).

What about all the adds for reshaping babies ears? I sure hope if I was born with weird looking ears my parents would take care of it before I got older and it was too late. (Or would need more invasive intervention)

What exactly are your concerns about flat heads? According to my pediatrician the only concern is cosmetic.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 11:48 am
SIDS skyrocketed at the same time that more vaccins became routine.

So then there was a "back to sleep" campaign. Which then needed a "tummy time" campaign bc babies weren't on their stomach.

You have to be able to live with whatever decision you make.

Brit in Israel

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:09 pm
amother Daisy wrote:

I put all mine on their back or side and didn't have any flat heads. (One kid has an extra large head, another has an extra small head they had to do extra testings after birth to make sure she was ok just coz of head size) sizing isn't a reason and neither is back sleeping if they are also in recliner chairs and have tummy time.

Being delayed is also not from back sleeping I had some sitting by 6 months and riding a sit and ride alone at a nice speed at 9 months and all walking between 12-16 months. Some crawled correctly and some not.

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:09 pm
It really can be dangerous, safer to put on their back.

I know a family whose baby who died of SIDS during a nap. It is so tragic, I would never risk it.

GLUE

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:23 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
SIDS skyrocketed at the same time that more vaccins became routine.

So then there was a "back to sleep" campaign. Which then needed a "tummy time" campaign bc babies weren't on their stomach.

You have to be able to live with whatever decision you make.

SIDS dropped after 1992 with the back to sleep campaign just when they came out with even more vaccines.
If vaccines cause SIDS would not the rates go up?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:31 pm
(Death rate didn't drop... They have better diagnostics so there are fewer unknown reasons aka SIDS)

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:31 pm
GLUE wrote:
SIDS dropped after 1992 with the back to sleep campaign just when they came out with even more vaccines.
If vaccines cause SIDS would not the rates go up?

The back to sleep campaign also included getting rid of blankets, bumpers, soft mattresses and toys so a significant amount of the lower deaths can also be attributed to babies who could have suffocated

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:17 pm
amother Daisy wrote:

I think the swaddling might be a factor, you can try sleep sacks once they are a few weeks old.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 8:27 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
One of my babies cried for weeks straight, she didn't sleep. We were going insane. I put her on her stomach one night & she finally slept bh.

She slept because babies sleep deeper when on their stomach. Little babies do not have the proper regulation to wake up from this deep sleep. That is why some just sleep until they never wake up again.

If the only way you can have your sanity is to let your small baby sleep on his stomach, give the baby temporarily to someone else who will put him on his back.

I am sickened to see the number of people who let their newborns sleep on their stomach. Are you truly that ignorant about SIDS?

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 8:32 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
She slept because babies sleep deeper when on their stomach. Little babies do not have the proper regulation to wake up from this deep sleep. That is why some just sleep until they never wake up again.

If the only way you can have your sanity is to let your small baby sleep on his stomach, give the baby temporarily to someone else who will put him on his back.

I am sickened to see the number of people who let their newborns sleep on their stomach. Are you truly that ignorant about SIDS?

Nothing you just said has been proven. You’re the one who is ignorant.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 8:33 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
(Death rate didn't drop... They have better diagnostics so there are fewer unknown reasons aka SIDS)

This
Plus smoking among pregnant mothers decreased. And many other factors. There was never an actually scientifically sound study done on this.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 8:40 pm
Babies are physiologically designed to sleep on their stomachs. They've been doing so since the dawn of time. If it were truly that dangerous, humans would have stomach-slept themselves to extinction a looong time ago.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics