Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Newborn sleeping on stomach
1  2  3  Next

Do you let your newborn sleep on stomach
Yes  
 53%  [ 106 ]
No  
 32%  [ 64 ]
Only during the day/ Rarely  
 14%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 199

makingthebest

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:30 am
Is it really dangerous?

He sleeps so so much better and loves being on his stomach.

KailaR

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:20 am
I make sure they can turn their head side to side nicely before allowing stomach sleeping

Brit in Israel

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:25 am
It's a huge cause of infant deaths.
Do all babies sleeping on their stomach die? No
but you don't want your baby to be that one that did...C"V.
If you need it for your and your baby sanity do it for one nap a day whilst you are next to baby

smss

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:48 am
Yes, it is really dangerous. It's the top risk factor for SIDS.

Did you try swaddling him? Or baby carrier naps?

a2z

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 2:10 am
makingthebest wrote:
Is it really dangerous?

He sleeps so so much better and loves being on his stomach.

One of the main reasons that it isn't recommended is because they sleep so deeply on their stomach.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 5:44 am
It's not a cause of SIDS, it's a risk factor. I think each mother has to make the decision for herself. I will not judge you if you let tummy sleeping because you need your sanity.
My aunt who has 10+ kids says that the reason there is a correlation between that and SIDS is because many babies (used to) sleep on their stomach. She thinks that many experienced moms do it.
That said, you can also try putting them on their side with a rolled up blanket to prop them up from the back.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 6:13 am
Many SIDS cases have no reason. It's a theory.
But, the combination removal of bedding and back sleeping has vastly reduced the cases of suspected suffocation.
It's good hishtadlus.
If your baby is picking themselves up on their arms and turning over, it wouldn't bother me so much.

leilatov1

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 6:52 am
No I only do at 5/6 months when they can roll both ways. I don't even do supervised stomach naps before then

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 7:13 am
I did side, in a bassinet. They would often end up on their stomach. At the same time that they started the back to sleep campaign they also started recommending no bumpers and pillows and blankets. Do we really know which one worked?

I'm not recommending anyone do anything but I did research and Studies have shown thatmost parents will lie to the ped abt putting their kids to sleep on their stomach so a lot of the data is skewed.

amother
Navyblue

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:20 am
Having known a family whose baby died of SIDS... I wouldn't risk it. And yes the baby had an unsafe sleep environment.
For those who say they do it in a side by side bassinet, that wouldn't help as you will be too asleep to notice that the baby CV stopped breathing.
No blankets, no stomach sleeping, no crib bumpers or stuffed animals in the bed...

I wait for stomach sleeping until they can roll both ways independently. I still put to sleep on their back but if they can do it independently and easily, I dont flip them over. (My baby would roll very early on and get stuck). So until they are mobile by rolling.
I wait for everything else until after 1 year old.

I couldn't survive if I increased the risk factors and my baby CV didn't wake up.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:33 am
Once my baby was able to lift her head high enough to switch sides back and forth when she wanted I let her, was about 4 months old - wouldn’t do it before that

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:38 am
The first few weeks I put them on their side with a rolled blanket to prop them up.
Once they can turn their head, I let them sleep on their stomach.
I find my kids sleep the best on their stomach, my Dr. said it's fine.

Just letting you know: If they sleep on their stomach, concern of SIDS and if they sleep on their back, concern of vomiting and choking on it. So either way, just daven that your kid should be fine and do what works best!! Just be confident whichever way you put them Smile

Good luck!

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:41 am
One of my babies cried for weeks straight, she didn't sleep. We were going insane. I put her on her stomach one night & she finally slept bh.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:43 am
amother Gladiolus wrote:
It's not a cause of SIDS, it's a risk factor. I think each mother has to make the decision for herself. I will not judge you if you let tummy sleeping because you need your sanity.
My aunt who has 10+ kids says that the reason there is a correlation between that and SIDS is because many babies (used to) sleep on their stomach. She thinks that many experienced moms do it.
That said, you can also try putting them on their side with a rolled up blanket to prop them up from the back.

Your aunt may have 10+ kids but she doesn’t have a very good understanding of statistics lol. Yes most babies used to sleep on their stomach and so most babies who died of SIDS happened to be sleeping on their stomach. That’s not why science says stomach sleeping leads to SIDS. Science shows that babies who sleep on their back have much lower rates of SIDS vs babies who sleep on their stomach. That’s the data point your aunt is missing. It’s not about the quantity, it’s about the proportion.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:44 am
It’s never been proven to cause SIDS. Correlation is not causation. I think we know by now that govt health agencies are not very reliable. Do your own research, read the studies, and make an educated decision.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:50 am
For all the moms who put babies to sleep on back-

How did you prevent flat head?

Was your baby delayed in their motor milestones?

I have made sure to put all my babies on back as recommended but have had issues with the above. Yes, I give lots of Timmy time when awake, but they still get flat heads and delayed! BH my babies are good sleepers so they end up being on their back ALOT more than tummy.

That's the only reason I'm debating with my new one to put on stomach.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:54 am
amother Daisy wrote:

I have made sure to put all my babies on back as recommended but have had issues with the above. Yes, I give lots of Timmy time when awake, but they still get flat heads and delayed! BH my babies are good sleepers so they end up being on their back ALOT more than tummy.

I put my newborns to sleep swaddled on their back till 2-4 months when they were able to turn over. Then I put them on their stomach. Always did a lot of tummy time with them, didn’t keep them strapped into baby containers all day, all were ahead of their milestones.

Yes, if your baby only sleeps on their back for the majority of their first year and you’re not careful to give tummy time and keep your baby out of containers, you can have issues with milestones. Flat head can happen to some babies even if you are careful with tummy time etc, just from the sleep time alone. However it usually resolves by itself in the second year of life.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:55 am
amother Daisy wrote:

Also, what do you define as delayed? The regular milestones shifted to later when doctors started recommending back to sleep.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 11:23 am
amother Plum wrote:
Also, what do you define as delayed? The regular milestones shifted to later when doctors started recommending back to sleep.

Don't keep my kids in containers too much. Like I said, they just sleep ALOT. The type that will basically sleep through the night the day I bring them home from the hospital.

Delayed means not rolling over until 8 months, never crawling- they only scoot on their tush, and not walking until almost 2 years. This is with PT starting at 12 months Confused

The flat head- yes it resolves a bit as they get older, but I can definitely still notice it. It does worry me that they don't have nice round heads. Im nervous (for my boys) that their hats won't fit them properly and for my girls that their sheitels won't sit right/fit well

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 11:29 am
amother Daisy wrote:
Don't keep my kids in containers too much. Like I said, they just sleep ALOT. The type that will basically sleep through the night the day I bring them home from the hospital.

Delayed means not rolling over until 8 months, never crawling- they only scoot on their tush, and not walking until almost 2 years. This is with PT starting at 12 months Confused

The flat head- yes it resolves a bit as they get older, but I can definitely still notice it. It does worry me that they don't have nice round heads. Im nervous (for my boys) that their hats won't fit them properly and for my girls that their sheitels won't sit right/fit well

That is significantly delayed. It is likely that their delays are not caused by sleeping on their back, especially if most/all of your kids followed the same timeline then it’s probably genetic. It’s likely made a bit worse by back sleeping but not the main cause. Once they’re turning over at 8 months do you put them on their stomach?

Also, are they home with you or sent to a babysitter? If they are sent out, at what age?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics