Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to get newborn to nap in crib

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 3:05 pm
Recently brought my baby home from the hospital and I want to do things right this time. I’ve only contact mapped in the past for the first few months but now I have a house full of kids and don’t see how that will be practical at all.
How do I get baby to nap in the crib? Is it even possible? For those who do it- HOW?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 3:06 pm
I tried putting baby down and she was fine for 4 minutes and then cried to be picked up (and then fell asleep in my arms).
Do you swaddle for naps? If so- does that confuse baby between naps and nighttime bedtime? She has her days and nights mixed up and I don’t want to make it worse…
Does baby nap in her crib in the bedroom or in a bassinet somewhere else more nearby where you are?

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 3:11 pm
by not offering another option. overnight sleep is in crib too

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 3:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
I tried putting baby down and she was fine for 4 minutes and then cried to be picked up (and then fell asleep in my arms).
Do you swaddle for naps? If so- does that confuse baby between naps and nighttime bedtime? She has her days and nights mixed up and I don’t want to make it worse…
Does baby nap in her crib in the bedroom or in a bassinet somewhere else more nearby where you are?

yes I swaddled for naps. Makes such a difference! For day/night mixup, I did all the day naps in light and/or noisy rooms (in the bassinet stroller)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 4:05 pm
amother Azure wrote:
by not offering another option. overnight sleep is in crib too

lol I’m just worried she will cry when I put her down… and then what?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 4:06 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
yes I swaddled for naps. Makes such a difference! For day/night mixup, I did all the day naps in light and/or noisy rooms (in the bassinet stroller)

Do you remember until what age you were able to do naps in the noisier rooms before they started not being able to sleep with all the noise? At that point was it easy to transition to naps in the crib?

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 4:07 pm
amother OP wrote:

Then you rub her back, sing to her, do whatever you can to soothe her back to sleep.

mizle10

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 4:14 pm
amother OP wrote:

Swaddle her tightly. It’s the same as putting her down at night… I’m assuming you don’t hold your newborns all night long.

I don’t think night/day confusion comes from napping in a crib but leave the shades open if you’re nervous.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 4:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you remember until what age you were able to do naps in the noisier rooms before they started not being able to sleep with all the noise? At that point was it easy to transition to naps in the crib?

Maybe around 2 months? I could be off though. When it started being a problem I just put the bassinet stroller in a quiet room. The day/night mixup resolves itself a lot sooner than the noise started disturbing them so that totally wasn't a concern anymore.
Didn't transition to crib until the bassinet was too small. It was so much more convenient in the bassinet!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 11:20 am
mizle10 wrote:
Swaddle her tightly. It’s the same as putting her down at night… I’m assuming you don’t hold your newborns all night long.

I don’t think night/day confusion comes from napping in a crib but leave the shades open if you’re nervous.

Haha no. I realized that’s impossible after my first 🤪
Last night we had a tough night but by the end she got the message that she was going back in the crib and staying there until the next feed…
So I guess that’s what I do with naps? It’s just so hard for me because with nighttime it’s like well from bedtime until morning that is the definition of night sleep. But newborn naps aren’t on a predictable schedule like that. So she will nap and wake up and then fall asleep again… so you would put her back in the crib every time she falls asleep during the day?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 11:22 am
Another question- doesn’t all this crib sleep cause flat heads?
Part of the reason why I was worried in the past to do crib naps was all that time spent on the back. In a baby carrier or holding them I didn’t have that worry.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 2:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Another question- doesn’t all this crib sleep cause flat heads?
Part of the reason why I was worried in the past to do crib naps was all that time spent on the back. In a baby carrier or holding them I didn’t have that worry.

It can contribute to flat heads, that's part of why you have to make sure to do tummy time

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 9:19 pm
As an update….
I totally failed.
Been holding baby for almost every nap. Just so much easier than trying to “convince” her to sleep anywhere else.
(At night she is in a crib).

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 9:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
As an update….
I totally failed.
Been holding baby for almost every nap. Just so much easier than trying to “convince” her to sleep anywhere else.
(At night she is in a crib).

I'm so sorry society has convinced you that you failed!! You are a loving mother hugging cuddling and soothing. Enjoy it ! Those days go by very quickly!!
She will sleep in a crib in the right time no worries!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:11 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
I'm so sorry society has convinced you that you failed!! You are a loving mother hugging cuddling and soothing. Enjoy it ! Those days go by very quickly!!
She will sleep in a crib in the right time no worries!

Yeah this is the attitude I had with my other kids. Now I’m finding it hard to give them the proper attention and figured it would be easier if baby napped in a crib. Even with baby wearing it still doesn’t leave me with the same mobility or freedom as without.

Anyway I do agree with you- for the baby it is the best to be snuggled and cuddled up. And I sure do enjoy it!

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:23 pm
Have you tried putting her in a swing? Not ideal but neither is holding her to nap..
Also are you letting her cry and rubbing her, offering paci…? Or picking up immediately when she cries? If yes then she’s going to learn really fast that she needs to give a little cry and mommy will pick her right up Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics