Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What jobs dont exist in Israel?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:32 am
amother Clematis wrote:
I have a few things to say:

I worked at Ichilov and one could absolutely get a night shift only job instead of rotating (you would have to do mornings to start until you learned good enough, because the nursing teachers usually do mornings). There were at least two nurses who worked 4 nights a week and never did mornings or evenings. This would be easy to request, and the head nurse would love you, because night shifts are the least desired (at least at Ichilov) and the hardest to fill. Then there were about 5 nurses who all had about 15 years + experience who only did morning shifts. You had to have a ton of vetek (experience) to be allowed to do that, because morning shifts are the most desired. A new nurse who works full time (5 shifts/week) must do at least 2 nights. If she wanted more nights or all nights, all she would have to do is ask.

Ichilov was a very non-religious place, so I never heard of the 7 - 2 shift until you said so. They don't have it there.

Yes, there are Arab drivers on Shabbat/Chagim, but horrifically (IMO) if you sign up for the hasaa (Arab transportation) you are expected to bring your phone with you, and call them if they don't show up, and be willing to answer calls from them, and if they don't show up you expected to get your phone and call the shift's responsible nurse and work out you getting there some other way. I quit over this. I did not ask my Rav. Plenty of religious women apparently work there, so I'm sure some Rabanim agree, but I found it totally unacceptable that I'm supposed to stand out on the street on Shabbat making a public phone call to ask why Hasaa didn't come, AND it was forbidden to get on the Hasaa in uniform, so I'm in street clothes not even visibly a nurse.

Interesting. Shaarei Tzedek everyone travels in uniform on Shabbos. Most people bring phones, but only for emergency use. The only people who need to have their phones on on Shabbos are those on konenut, who might be called in for an emergency.

I had a friend at Hadassah who lived quite a long way, where there were no hasaot. Her Rav allowed her to drive there, but not back, so she had an arrangement that she worked Shabbos afternoon, so driving back would be after Shabbos. Some hospitals are willing to work with you on religious issues, and some aren't.

Reality

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:40 am
amother Clematis wrote:
I knew an Oleh Chadash from Russia who made Aliya when he was 17, then in the IDF he became a basic training sergant. Everyone was terrified of him despite his Russian accent. They probably made fun of it behind his back. It depends on personality.

I agree with you 100%.

I just thought this conversation was about people coming who are already settled in their lives. As in they are in their late 20's to late 30's, give or take.

At that point, it is even harder to learn a new language and start a career again, working your way up from the bottom. I really, really understand that fear because that fear was mine!

How did we get around it? We moved to a soft landing. I know there's a good chance when my kids get married they don't want to stay in RBS. They tell me straight out they want to live in a more Israeli place. And I think that's great for them.

But I was able to find work that they didn't care that my hebrew was poor because most of the clients are English speakers. Even with that, my hebrew has improved.

My DH initially worked completely remotely. He now also works locally also, again catering to the English speaking community. He also has some only hebrew speakers but he manages. In the US he worked with people who barely spoke English too and he managed with Yiddish.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:55 am
ora_43 wrote:
Again, I never said there's no adjustment. Only that it's silly to say that only jobs that require no language skills whatsoever exist in Israel. "Doesn't exist" should be reserved for jobs that are almost entirely language/culture-dependent. Not things like teaching, medicine, administrative work, etc, which are jobs that many immigrants successfully perform after 1-2 years of language learning.

Teaching is both language and culture dependent. A typical morah or rebbi in Brooklyn is not going to find their job transferable.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:01 am
Reality wrote:
Since October 7th I have noticed a huge surge in chareidi bus drivers here in RBS. I'm really loving it became they really care about the people. They'll motion to you not to run because they'll wait for you, don't close the door on you etc.

Pleased to hear Smile

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:48 am
OP, you are right all jobs exist in Israel but don’t necessarily pay as well. I’m a nurse earning 118k a year with tons of PTO. I don’t believe I would earn anything equivalent in shekel working in Israel. Healthcare for my family is fully covered. I would only save on tuition and housing might be more expensive. I can also become an NP here and make 200k eventually. I don’t believe nursing in Israel offers such an income potential. I’m not saying these are valid reasons not to move but these are the facts.

juggling

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:07 am
amother Snow wrote:
OP, you are right all jobs exist in Israel but don’t necessarily pay as well. I’m a nurse earning 118k a year with tons of PTO. I don’t believe I would earn anything equivalent in shekel working in Israel. Healthcare for my family is fully covered. I would only save on tuition and housing might be more expensive. I can also become an NP here and make 200k eventually. I don’t believe nursing in Israel offers such an income potential. I’m not saying these are valid reasons not to move but these are the facts.

This is true in every single field. Salaries in Israel are much lower than they are in America. The lifestyle is different here, and many people happily make it work on lower salaries, in ways that are harder to articulate.

Of course people need to be concerned about making parnassa work when they make Aliyah! But if you have a reasonably mainstream profession and can find a job in Israel, the fact that the salary is lower shouldn't automatically mean you can't make it work.

(You do have to be willing to be flexible in terms of lifestyle in order to make it work. But I'm just saying it isn't automatically true that lower salary means you can't make Aliyah.)

Reality

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:11 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Pleased to hear Smile

I actually just saw two chareidi garbage collectors today for the first time ever in my neighborhood! Hooray

logical

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:23 am
joonabug wrote:
I think bcba or aba therapist doesnt exist in israel

people here do aba privately, off the books (that's what I heard)

anything in the title industry is n/a here, because its a small country with a TABO system. so they dont need title insurance.

office jobs here pay minimum wage, so theyre not a career for a breadwinner.

logical

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:26 am
amother Bone wrote:
The poster meant a Physicians Assistant which is a masters level medical professional who can treat patients, prescribe medications, etc.

PA meaning personal assistant is a european terminology. Ive only ever heard it in England.

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:27 am
DH is an elementary school rebbi (2nd grade), whilst rebbi jobs do exist, he would not be able to transfer and teach in hebrew. A big part of his success is he way he connects and relates to the boys, which he would not be able to do in another language. He can manage in hebrew (we lived there a few years) but could not give over information and teach in hebrew.
And thats besides for the difference in mentality/curriculum/whole way of learning, which he would really struggle with.

So, no his job is not transferable.

juggling

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:37 am
The OP asked about jobs that don't exist in Israel. A handful of jobs were mentioned that supposedly fit that description, although it's not clear if they all actually don't exist in Israel.

Many people responded with jobs that *do* exist in Israel, but they, personally, don't feel they'd be comfortably able to do those jobs here. That's fair, but it isn't the same thing OP was asking about.

Others answered about jobs that exist in Israel, and they could even adapt to doing them here, but they aren't exactly the same - the pay is less, or there is less prestige, etc. Or there would be a recertification they'd need to do.

Any and all issues related to transferring one's job are important barriers to overcome when it comes to Aliyah. Some people use their skills in a slightly different capacity, starting a new career when they make Aliyah. Some people do choose not to make Aliyah, if they don't feel they can successfully integrate in the workplace here.

These discussions are all valid and important. But they don't address the question in the OP.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:54 am
amother Oldlace wrote:
DH is an elementary school rebbi (2nd grade), whilst rebbi jobs do exist, he would not be able to transfer and teach in hebrew. A big part of his success is he way he connects and relates to the boys, which he would not be able to do in another language. He can manage in hebrew (we lived there a few years) but could not give over information and teach in hebrew.
And thats besides for the difference in mentality/curriculum/whole way of learning, which he would really struggle with.

So, no his job is not transferable.

Exactly

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 9:48 am
It’s quite common for people to move to a specific place because of a job and also to stay put in a place because of a job. When someone lands a good job, they do what they can to keep it. I know many people that live in a certain city specifically for their job. If not for the job, they would move. People need to make a living. To tell someone to abandon a stable well paying job (especially a job that one has trained for many years )and go somewhere to become a bus driver or to start over again really doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 9:51 am
No one was saying to become a bus driver. One poster mentioned it as part of a list jobs that people did in her community, and she was under the impression that those jobs did not exist in Israel. Fortunately, for anyone who feels that this is their calling, there are many drivers in Israel, including chareidi ones.

juggling

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 9:57 am
amother Crocus wrote:
It’s quite common for people to move to a specific place because of a job and also to stay put in a place because of a job. When someone lands a good job, they do what they can to keep it. I know many people that live in a certain city specifically for their job. If not for the job, they would move. People need to make a living. To tell someone to abandon a stable well paying job (especially a job that one has trained for many years )and go somewhere to become a bus driver or to start over again really doesn’t make a lot of sense.

That's fine. It's legitimate to feel you can't make Aliyah because you'll struggle too much to make a living. But that's not the same as "my job doesn't exist in Israel.". Which is what the OP was asking about. Unless people are saying "my job doesn't exist" when they literally mean their exact current employment situation? I don't think that's what they mean, and OP didn't think so, either.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:19 am
Does asbestos removal exist in Israel?

mizle10

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:20 am
Success10 wrote:
I understand that many are making nice salaries in the US, but factor in Israel's basically free healthcare and tuition. Even starting at the bottom in Israel might still make you better off than you were in the States.

It's worth crunching numbers.

Not everyone lives in the States.

I live in Canada and have free health care.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:38 am
amother Clematis wrote:
I knew an Oleh Chadash from Russia who made Aliya when he was 17, then in the IDF he became a basic training sergant. Everyone was terrified of him despite his Russian accent. They probably made fun of it behind his back. It depends on personality.

Soldiers ain't high school kids.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:55 am
There ARE nurse practitioners in Israel just very new. There is currently an NP course being taught to current nurses.

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:51 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Soldiers ain't high school kids.

If someone is a "scary" teacher in the US (aka no nonsense, excellent classroom control) she'll be a "scary" teacher with an an accent in Israel, and the accent won't be an issue. Imagine if Judge Judy learned Hebrew but had an accent. Do you think because of her accent, she would be unable to demand respect in an Israeli high school?
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions