Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What jobs dont exist in Israel?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

juggling

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:51 pm
So funny that you feel blue-collar jobs garner more respect in the US, than in Israel. In my community the opposite is true.

In the US most people I knew were professionals. Whereas in Israel I find it's considered perfectly respectable to work in blue-collar jobs.

ora_43

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:55 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
While this can be true of SOME DEI hires, I still don't see an upside to trying to alter the percentages of, for example, genders in a certain field. Why should there be a goal of 50/50?

... there isn't? Where did I say 50/50?

The goal is that the pool of applicants reflect the pool of qualified people in the field. (and that the demographics of people being promoted reflect the demographics of people on a similar education/experience/achievement level in the company, that there's no gender/racial/whatever skew to things like who drops out of the interview process or who leaves after only a year - etc)

essie14

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:56 pm
juggling wrote:
So funny that you feel blue-collar jobs garner more respect in the US, than in Israel. In my community the opposite is true.

In the US most people I knew were professionals. Whereas in Israel I find it's considered perfectly respectable to work in blue-collar jobs.

I agree completely.

ora_43

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:59 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
A teacher of many years cannot suddenly start teaching in Hebrew. I would say that job is not transferable.

I don't think 'can do the job without any Hebrew' is a reasonable definition of transferable.

A teacher in a non-Israel-specific subject (math, science, English) can get by with proficient, non-fluent Hebrew. It's not quite as easy as a job you can do with no Hebrew, but it's also significantly different from a job that requires fully fluent Hebrew.

Reality

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:03 pm
juggling wrote:

Since October 7th I have noticed a huge surge in chareidi bus drivers here in RBS. I'm really loving it became they really care about the people. They'll motion to you not to run because they'll wait for you, don't close the door on you etc.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:04 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Many jobs. I am going to list some jobs of my neighbors that would not be easy to work with if thye moved to israel. Either because in israel such jobs dont exist or because working with such are cnsidered low class there but not here.This is a chasidish neighborhood.

Contractor
Painting company
Nursing home positions. (A few types)
Plumber
Electrician
Real estate management company
Personal designer
Personal shopper
Kitchen installation guy
Kitchen company
English teacher (male)
Bus driver for yeshiva
Low voltage
Warehouse manager

I'm going to stay out of the conversation here, because I'm not here to convince anyone, but your comment made me giggle. These are excellent professions in Israel

Reality

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:05 pm
ora_43 wrote:
I don't think 'can do the job without any Hebrew' is a reasonable definition of transferable.

A teacher in a non-Israel-specific subject (math, science, English) can get by with proficient, non-fluent Hebrew. It's not quite as easy as a job you can do with no Hebrew, but it's also significantly different from a job that requires fully fluent Hebrew.

Let's be real. Kids destroy teachers who are not fluent in their language.

For a teacher who just made aliyah, they should become an English language teacher to get their foot in the door. It's usually a part time position so you have time to do ulpan.

imaima

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:45 pm
Rappel wrote:
I'm going to stay out of the conversation here, because I'm not here to convince anyone, but your comment made me giggle. These are excellent professions in Israel

That post was bizarre
All of those jobs are doable in Israel

People confuse „exists in Israel“ with „just as lucrative in Israel“ and with „can be done without the Hebrew“.

It is absolutely entitled to expect to move into a country and not expect to learn it’s language.

Last edited by imaima on Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 4:09 pm
ora_43 wrote:

It's not only the Hebrew. The culture and mentality gap is huge. There is a lot that goes into teaching besides the language which is also not a small deal. Dealing with children and parents is not the same as attaching pipes and mixing concrete. Or drilling cavities or driving a bus route.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:49 pm
Clinical pharmacist

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:43 pm
Capitol hill staffer

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:30 pm
imaima wrote:
That post was bizarre
All of that jobs are doable in Israel

People confuse „exists in Israel“ with „just as lucrative in Israel“ and with „can be done without the Hebrew“.

It is absolutely entitled to expect to move into a country and not expect to learn it’s language.

Well if they plan to work with the same clientele as they do in the States, they probably can get by mostly with Yiddish anyway. No idea why she assumes those positions don't do well in Israel.

We just had a Charedi contractor come by here because my landlord is renovating the apartment. Charedi interior designer also. Both spoke English. No idea how fluent their Hebrew is or isn't. We've used a very highly regarded English speaking Charedi plumber several times in the past also. For various reasons, we're not necessarily going to live in Israel long-term ourselves, but yeah that post made no sense.

ora_43

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:20 am
Reality wrote:
Let's be real. Kids destroy teachers who are not fluent in their language.

In elementary school or schools with serious behavioral issues, maybe.

In high school it's far from rare to have teachers for certain topics (eg physics) who clearly learned Hebrew as adults, and not to perfection. Students are fine with it. If anything, the average teacher with poor grammar and a thick Russian accent gets more respect than the average Israeli-born teacher, if only because they demand it.

ora_43

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:25 am
amother Calendula wrote:
It's not only the Hebrew. The culture and mentality gap is huge. There is a lot that goes into teaching besides the language which is also not a small deal. Dealing with children and parents is not the same as attaching pipes and mixing concrete. Or drilling cavities or driving a bus route.

Again, I never said there's no adjustment. Only that it's silly to say that only jobs that require no language skills whatsoever exist in Israel. "Doesn't exist" should be reserved for jobs that are almost entirely language/culture-dependent. Not things like teaching, medicine, administrative work, etc, which are jobs that many immigrants successfully perform after 1-2 years of language learning.

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:38 am
Elfrida wrote:
Yes, in the hospital there are three, eight hour shifts each day. You rotate between them - there's no such thing as getting a job for the night shift.

The morning shift is normally 7:00 - 3:00. On winter Fridays, some hospitals change that to 7:00 - 2:00, so that if you're not working a shabbos shift, you have time to get home before Shabbos.
And on Shabbos, transport, with Arab drivers, is provided to and from the hospital.

I have a few things to say:

I worked at Ichilov and one could absolutely get a night shift only job instead of rotating (you would have to do mornings to start until you learned good enough, because the nursing teachers usually do mornings). There were at least two nurses who worked 4 nights a week and never did mornings or evenings. This would be easy to request, and the head nurse would love you, because night shifts are the least desired (at least at Ichilov) and the hardest to fill. Then there were about 5 nurses who all had about 15 years + experience who only did morning shifts. You had to have a ton of vetek (experience) to be allowed to do that, because morning shifts are the most desired. A new nurse who works full time (5 shifts/week) must do at least 2 nights. If she wanted more nights or all nights, all she would have to do is ask.

Ichilov was a very non-religious place, so I never heard of the 7 - 2 shift until you said so. They don't have it there.

Yes, there are Arab drivers on Shabbat/Chagim, but horrifically (IMO) if you sign up for the hasaa (Arab transportation) you are expected to bring your phone with you, and call them if they don't show up, and be willing to answer calls from them, and if they don't show up you expected to get your phone and call the shift's responsible nurse and work out you getting there some other way. I quit over this. I did not ask my Rav. Plenty of religious women apparently work there, so I'm sure some Rabanim agree, but I found it totally unacceptable that I'm supposed to stand out on the street on Shabbat making a public phone call to ask why Hasaa didn't come, AND it was forbidden to get on the Hasaa in uniform, so I'm in street clothes not even visibly a nurse.

Reality

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:39 am
ora_43 wrote:
In elementary school or schools with serious behavioral issues, maybe.

In high school it's far from rare to have teachers for certain topics (eg physics) who clearly learned Hebrew as adults, and not to perfection. Students are fine with it. If anything, the average teacher with poor grammar and a thick Russian accent gets more respect than the average Israeli-born teacher, if only because they demand it.

This is true if the teacher is teaching an honors type class like physics.

I think high school kids are the same no matter what country they are from. I had an Israeli chumash teacher in high school who spoke English very poorly. My normally well behaved class took a lot of advantage of her. It was a horrible year for all of us.

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:45 am
Reality wrote:
This is true if the teacher is teaching an honors type class like physics.

I think high school kids are the same no matter what country they are from. I had an Israeli chumash teacher in high school who spoke English very poorly. My normally well behaved class took a lot of advantage of her. It was a horrible year for all of us.

I knew an Oleh Chadash from Russia who made Aliya when he was 17, then in the IDF he became a basic training sergant. Everyone was terrified of him despite his Russian accent. They probably made fun of it behind his back. It depends on personality.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:48 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
PA is a nice word for secretary and it surely exists.

No they are talking about physician assistant.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:54 am
amother Foxglove wrote:
Many jobs. I am going to list some jobs of my neighbors that would not be easy to work with if thye moved to israel. Either because in israel such jobs dont exist or because working with such are cnsidered low class there but not here.This is a chasidish neighborhood.

Contractor
Painting company
Nursing home positions. (A few types)
Plumber
Electrician
Real estate management company
Personal designer
Personal shopper
Kitchen installation guy
Kitchen company
English teacher (male)
Bus driver for yeshiva
Low voltage
Warehouse manager

Huh? All of these jobs exist here and they are not considered low class at all. Not sure where you git that.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:29 am
I just want to say, yet again, as the op, I meant literally jobs that do not exist here.
So many seem not to get it.
Oh well.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions