Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
So anxious about 4mo sleep regression

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 5:03 pm
My baby is starting his 4 month sleep regression Sad
He's my 4th (and unexpected) and I know exactly what I'm in for and I am panicking Crying
Something about my babies' sleep gets me so worked up and triggered and this period is the WORST. BH he has been reasonable until now, falls asleep himself with swaddle, paci and white noise - though the swaddle has to go now. Naps were mostly reasonable, nights were basically feedings every 3-4 hours. Last few nights he's been up every 2-2.5hrs and today's naps weren't great.
I'm just so sad and scared and overwhelmed.

amother
Nutmeg  

Post Yesterday at 9:00 pm
Hungry? You could start solids at this age. Or maybe supplement with formula at night. By that age my babies aren't full enough on nursing, I've found a bottle at night or solids helps.

amother
Zinnia  

Post Yesterday at 11:37 pm
What jumps out at me is your words
Sad
Scared
Anxious
Overwhelmed
Take care of yourself... You do sound overwhelmed.

Babies schedules evolve a lot over the first year, I have 6 kids I can't say any of them were exactly the same eating and sleeping and temperament wise...the only times I managed less and called the baby "hard and colicky " is when I was not recovering terribly well emotionally...

amother
Cream

Post Yesterday at 11:44 pm
amother Nutmeg wrote:
Hungry? You could start solids at this age. Or maybe supplement with formula at night. By that age my babies aren't full enough on nursing, I've found a bottle at night or solids helps.

Solids at 4 months??

amother
  Nutmeg

Post Today at 6:50 am
amother Cream wrote:
Solids at 4 months??

Yes. Not bread at that age, but apple, pears, carrots or banana etc.

amother
DarkYellow  

Post Today at 8:14 am
I read somewhere online that at the 4 month sleep regression baby wakes up more often and is like "oh no! Where am I??"
If you rock your baby or hold your baby to sleep then when they wake up they want that again...to be rocked or held or whatever other sleep association they have

Your baby associates sleep with swaddle, paci and white noise. So when your baby wakes up and goes "oh no!" He'll drift back to sleep easier because he is still how you left him, maybe minus the paci? So replace the paci and let him put himself back to sleep. It may take a few nights of him laying awake trying to fall back asleep every 2-3 hours. But don't nurse back to sleep every time or it'll become habit.

My baby has only those 3 associations as well and the sleep regression only gave me 2 hard nights Baruch Hashem

amother
  DarkYellow  

Post Today at 8:16 am
I also found that at 4 month mark baby can be up for longer wake window. Try keeping your baby up longer before nap time and it should help get longer nap.
Also if baby wakes up mid nap give some time to see if he will fall back asleep again

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 12:44 pm
amother Nutmeg wrote:

I've been offering a formula bottle before I go to sleep every night for weeks already. Now he's waking even before then and not finishing his bottle.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 12:45 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
What jumps out at me is your words
Sad
Scared
Anxious
Overwhelmed
Take care of yourself... You do sound overwhelmed.

Babies schedules evolve a lot over the first year, I have 6 kids I can't say any of them were exactly the same eating and sleeping and temperament wise...the only times I managed less and called the baby "hard and colicky " is when I was not recovering terribly well emotionally...

Yeah, story of my life atm. And there's not much I can change. This was an unexpected pregnancy and he was born in the middle of a few major life changes. I'm definitely not doing the best emotionally.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 12:47 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
I read somewhere online that at the 4 month sleep regression baby wakes up more often and is like "oh no! Where am I??"
If you rock your baby or hold your baby to sleep then when they wake up they want that again...to be rocked or held or whatever other sleep association they have

Your baby associates sleep with swaddle, paci and white noise. So when your baby wakes up and goes "oh no!" He'll drift back to sleep easier because he is still how you left him, maybe minus the paci? So replace the paci and let him put himself back to sleep. It may take a few nights of him laying awake trying to fall back asleep every 2-3 hours. But don't nurse back to sleep every time or it'll become habit.

My baby has only those 3 associations as well and the sleep regression only gave me 2 hard nights Baruch Hashem

I could let him try fall back asleep, but if I wait 30 min then that means myself and DH are awake that long too, then if it doesn't work I'll need to nurse anyway... And my babies aren't so easygoing that they'll get the message in 2 nights.
What did your baby's naps look like during the regression?

amother
  OP

Post Today at 12:48 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
I also found that at 4 month mark baby can be up for longer wake window. Try keeping your baby up longer before nap time and it should help get longer nap.
Also if baby wakes up mid nap give some time to see if he will fall back asleep again

Yes, I did see that he could be up a little longer than I've been leaving him. So adjusting that too.

smss

Post Today at 1:40 pm
amother Nutmeg wrote:
Yes. Not bread at that age, but apple, pears, carrots or banana etc.

Those are all lower calorie than breastmilk and formula, and the AAP and WHO both now say to wait until 6 months to start solids regardless.

The 4 month sleep regression isn't about hunger, it's about a permanent change in the baby's sleep patterns to go through sleep cycles more often and many babies need to be settled between cycles.

OP, I hear you and wish I had advice. The sleep deprivation is so so debilitating. I'm currently in the thick of it too...

amother
  DarkYellow

Post Today at 2:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
I could let him try fall back asleep, but if I wait 30 min then that means myself and DH are awake that long too, then if it doesn't work I'll need to nurse anyway... And my babies aren't so easygoing that they'll get the message in 2 nights.
What did your baby's naps look like during the regression?

Would your baby be crying during the 30 minutes? Or just laying awake?
I'd put a noise machine by my head and try my best to sleep

My baby started waking up at nap time after 1 sleep cycle (40 minutes), I leave baby be and eventually falls back asleep
Sometimes 1 sleep cycle is all baby needs...
I find my baby naps way better on a full stomach, vs waking up from hunger

amother
  Zinnia

Post Today at 9:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yeah, story of my life atm. And there's not much I can change. This was an unexpected pregnancy and he was born in the middle of a few major life changes. I'm definitely not doing the best emotionally.

Can you get more physical help to ease things?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics