Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Sleep training

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 11:43 pm
Yet another sleep training post;)

I never sleep trained by daughter who is now about 18 months. She’s my first and it was working out so I don’t do it especially because I’m very into attachment during the early years. We coslept for about 8 months, I then moved her to a crib in her own room and it worked out pretty well. The thing is, she still wakes up about 5 to 6 times a night (it got better for a while and then got much worse). I’m not longer nursing her so it’s literally just for us to rock her an comfort her. It also takes a while each time to get her back in a deep enough sleep to put her in the crib.

I’ve heard a lot about the theory of if they don’t fall asleep themselves it’s hard for them to put themselves back to sleep when they wake at night. At this point thought, she literally has no idea how to put herself to sleep. My husband and I rock her until she’s in a deep sleep and then transfer her and hope that it works.
I’d love to have her start falling asleep in her crib.

I definitely won’t do cry it out but I’m thinking of sitting next to her by the crib until she falls asleep. She definitely won’t be happy but hopefully she’ll at least know she’s safe and not alone.

What is a normal amount of time to let her cry with me sitting there and patting her? I feel like she could literally cry for 5 hours straight which just feels so cruel.
Also, would I have to go cold turkey and do this same method for every wake up at night or can I start slow and only do it for going to sleep for the night and then build up?

Willing to hear all suggestions!

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Oct 22 2024, 12:07 am
amother OP wrote:
Yet another sleep training post;)

I never sleep trained by daughter who is now about 18 months. She’s my first and it was working out so I don’t do it especially because I’m very into attachment during the early years. We coslept for about 8 months, I then moved her to a crib in her own room and it worked out pretty well. The thing is, she still wakes up about 5 to 6 times a night (it got better for a while and then got much worse). I’m not longer nursing her so it’s literally just for us to rock her an comfort her. It also takes a while each time to get her back in a deep enough sleep to put her in the crib.

I’ve heard a lot about the theory of if they don’t fall asleep themselves it’s hard for them to put themselves back to sleep when they wake at night. At this point thought, she literally has no idea how to put herself to sleep. My husband and I rock her until she’s in a deep sleep and then transfer her and hope that it works.
I’d love to have her start falling asleep in her crib.

I definitely won’t do cry it out but I’m thinking of sitting next to her by the crib until she falls asleep. She definitely won’t be happy but hopefully she’ll at least know she’s safe and not alone.

What is a normal amount of time to let her cry with me sitting there and patting her? I feel like she could literally cry for 5 hours straight which just feels so cruel.
Also, would I have to go cold turkey and do this same method for every wake up at night or can I start slow and only do it for going to sleep for the night and then build up?

Willing to hear all suggestions!

When I was in a similar situation, I “practiced” a little each nap and evening till I was ready to do the switch. First put her down for 10 seconds, then 30, then a minute, etc. Also had a super simple bedtime routine, which I was very consistent with.

Eventually I started leaving her and yes she cried, but not a crazy amount. I’d come back in every 2-10 minutes (depending on how she was crying) and I know that makes things worse for some kids but it worked for her. Standing next to her crib and patting her didn’t, she just got mad that I wouldn’t pick her up.

Really every kid is different. I hope you can find a method that works for you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics