Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
If you generally keep CY, do you use OU-D formula?
Previous  1  2

If you generally keep CY, do you use OU-D formula?
I only give Chalav Yisroel formula  
 47%  [ 47 ]
I give any kosher formula  
 52%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 99

amother
Cognac

Post Yesterday at 12:39 pm
I think this is a difference in opinion between those who follow Chassidish poskim and those who are litvish.

Chassidim are makpid that a baby drink cholov yisroel even as newborns, but we are ok with giving our babies non chalav yisroel formula, if that's cheaper or better in some other way.

It is not considered timtum haleiv, which is what a previous poster was probably alluding to.

amother
  Apple

Post Yesterday at 12:57 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
I think this is a difference in opinion between those who follow Chassidish poskim and those who are litvish.

Chassidim are makpid that a baby drink cholov yisroel even as newborns, but we are ok with giving our babies non chalav yisroel formula, if that's cheaper or better in some other way.

It is not considered timtum haleiv, which is what a previous poster was probably alluding to.

Timtum halev- dullness of the heart.
Sfeikus b’emunah- doubts your beliefs.

Two different things.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Yesterday at 1:44 pm
We keep CY but give our kids OUD formula. We live in a larger OOT community but CY is still harder to come by and is more expensive. WIC covers our formula so needs to be on their list as well. Additionally, there might be an additional heter for any form of powdered milk that makes it different then regular non-CY products. Dont use this heter for ourselves, but for our baby’s formula it was an additional consideration.

amother
Winterberry

Post Today at 4:54 am
We asked our rav, because where I live CY formula is a) often unavailable, and b) at least double the price. We are otherwise extremely makpid on CY. The rav said right away that not only is it completely fine, I can even wash the bottles with formula with our regular dishes that the adults/other kids use (I wouldve washed in the laundry or whatever).
As with everything, ask daas torah (not Imamother Laugh )

amother
Wine

Post Today at 9:39 am
I tried cy first but my kids had dairy intolerances/allergy so ended up giving OUd for one and a parve formula that was apparently made in dairy equipment that also had oud. If you don't have a choice your Rav will 99.9% give you an ok..

amother
Oatmeal

Post Today at 9:55 am
Chassidish, gave OUD formula to a preemie who needed a special one, CY only for other healthy child.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Today at 10:17 am
amother OP wrote:
And what are the factors in your decision?

We wanted to stick to CY formula however my colicky baby only tolerated enfamil gentelease that's OUD
We just switched him off that onto regular formula since he's doing a lot better

amother
Rose

Post Today at 10:18 am
Chasidish here, my oldest was formula fed, and tried every CY formula, had issues with each one.
Did amazing on gentlease which is oud.
Asked a shaiyla, was told if tried all other options it’s ok.
My next one I gave as well, was having issues, but kid was nursed as well, so wasn’t that much.
Now I have a baby on CY formula, bh ok on it.
Each kid is different and sensitive to other things.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Today at 11:45 am
I voted that we give CY formula, but only because it's available and works for us. If we didn't have or it wasn't available, I'd give Chalav stam.

Case in point, I have an older child with medical issues who drinks Chalav stam pediasure daily.

amother
Lemon

Post Today at 11:53 am
I live in a place where cholov yisroel formula is readily available (I think you can even buy online nowadays) so no reason why not.
Yes, it's more expensive but so is cholov yisroel milk and cheese but I buy that so why wouldn't I buy the cholov yisroel formula.
If it wasn't readily available it would be different.
I do know someone that used to give soy formula because it was dairy equipment and not cholov akum

amother
Mauve

Post Today at 12:07 pm
amother Apple wrote:
Absolutely not.
Only give cholov yisroel.

Cholov Akum causes Sfeikis B’emunah.

Chalav Stam is not the same as chalav akum. You might need a little education before you speak. It is never a good idea to make statements, especially in public, about things you are not fully knowledgeable about.

If OU-D is mamsh traif,, how can you accept OU for anything at all?

amother
Seafoam

Post Today at 12:23 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
Chalav Stam is not the same as chalav akum. You might need a little education before you speak. It is never a good idea to make statements, especially in public, about things you are not fully knowledgeable about.

If OU-D is mamsh traif,, how can you accept OU for anything at all?

She probably doesn’t hold of Ou
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding