Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
If you generally keep CY, do you use OU-D formula?
1  2  Next

If you generally keep CY, do you use OU-D formula?
I only give Chalav Yisroel formula  
 47%  [ 47 ]
I give any kosher formula  
 52%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 99

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 9:11 am
And what are the factors in your decision?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Yesterday at 9:12 am
My husband prefers we only give CY. Since it means a lot to him I only give soy or CY formula.

amother
Gladiolus  

Post Yesterday at 9:19 am
Many years ago we did give oud formula. Now legal technicalities make cholov Stam different and bh there are more and better options for cholav yisroel. So no we only use cholav yisroel while in past we did use cholav stam

amother
Lightgray

Post Yesterday at 9:27 am
I tried to do CY first, but with one of my kids it just didn’t work for him, so eventually we switched to Enfamil Gentlease. My rav would prefer we try CY again but I really can’t deal with that, switching again.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Yesterday at 9:32 am
According to a Rav I asked, if a child needs it for health you may even give non kosher formula. Bh I didn’t need it, but I had no qualms trying out formulas for my baby with eczema.

amother
Diamond

Post Yesterday at 9:33 am
when we asked a shayla we were told to use CY if it's not a significant price difference- it was literally double the price so we didn't. Then turned out all my kids needed assorted specialty formulas that don't exist in CY

EstyEF

Post Yesterday at 9:39 am
I live OOT—
So I’m not going to insist on CY formula that is sold at only one store and frequently out of stock.

Beautiful

Post Yesterday at 9:39 am
By my first CY didn't exist so we gave her regular non CY kosher formula. By my most recent KAH CY was available in stores near me (~$30 a can,1 per week) so that's the only thing I fed my baby when I needed to give a bottle, I didn't have enough milk.

amother
Apple  

Post Yesterday at 9:44 am
Absolutely not.
Only give cholov yisroel.

Cholov Akum causes Sfeikis B’emunah.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 9:56 am
Thanks for all the replies so far.
I live in a large(r) OOT community where there is cholov yisroel available (most of the time Very Happy) but it's more than double the price and at one point (with my last baby) I was bringing formula back from NY with me because the kosher groceries stopped carrying that company.
I've given CY with all of my kids until now, it was important to us despite the price difference, but I've only lived in my community for the past few years and it's so much more complicated.
Also, this is not just supplementing, but fully feeding so there needs to be a lot more of it, both in practical availability and monetarily
I think I need to ask a Rav...

amother
  Gladiolus  

Post Yesterday at 10:06 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for all the replies so far.
I live in a large(r) OOT community where there is cholov yisroel available (most of the time Very Happy) but it's more than double the price and at one point (with my last baby) I was bringing formula back from NY with me because the kosher groceries stopped carrying that company.
I've given CY with all of my kids until now, it was important to us despite the price difference, but I've only lived in my community for the past few years and it's so much more complicated.
Also, this is not just supplementing, but fully feeding so there needs to be a lot more of it, both in practical availability and monetarily
I think I need to ask a Rav...

We imported ours by having friends and family bring us a few bottles with every travel. Otherwise we would not have used c"y. Takes advanced planning

giftedmom

Post Yesterday at 10:17 am
My babies can’t handle the heavy CY formula. It’s really not that big a shaila they’re allowed to have what they need. Even as one poster said nonkosher. Same goes for not kosher lpesach on Pesach.

amother
  Apple  

Post Yesterday at 10:17 am
giftedmom wrote:
My babies can’t handle the heavy CY formula. It’s really not that big a shaila they’re allowed to have what they need. Even as one poster said nonkosher. Same goes for not kosher lpesach on Pesach.

All formula is kitniyus which is fine for babies.

amother
Quince

Post Yesterday at 10:28 am
I keep CY but I have given OUD formula if they didn't have CY. Also at some point one of my kids was only doing well with an OUD formula so for that one he took the OUD one instead.

amother
Carnation  

Post Yesterday at 10:36 am
amother Apple wrote:
Absolutely not.
Only give cholov yisroel.

Cholov Akum causes Sfeikis B’emunah.

Chalav akum is not kosher by any opinion. The question was about chalav stam.

amother
  Apple  

Post Yesterday at 10:37 am
amother Carnation wrote:
Chalav alum is not kosher by any opinion. The question was about chalav stam.

Aren’t they the same thing?

amother
  Carnation

Post Yesterday at 10:47 am
amother Apple wrote:
Aren’t they the same thing?

No, not at all.

amother
  Gladiolus

Post Yesterday at 10:49 am
I may be wrong but isn't chalav stam a usa thing? Not applicable in other countries?

birthday

Post Yesterday at 10:56 am
Yes only cy formula. We start it from when they are babies.
If finance are the issue. Wic in Florida now give cy simliac formula

Debbie

Post Yesterday at 10:57 am
When I formula fed many years ago I did use a non chalav Yisrael formula approved by the London Beth Din as there were at the time no other options sold locally. However when my second baby was 8 months old a chalav Yisrael formula came out,but I chose not to use it as the ingredients were really not what I wanted to use. Nowadays I would not hesitate to use a chalav Yisrael formula.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding