Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
What do you do? Gluten free
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Hunter

Post Yesterday at 8:27 pm
Snickers18 wrote:
Crumbles and crisps are easy and you can make them gluten free (most oats are GF).

Do you know whether they have celiac or a gluten allergy? There’s usually a difference. We have lots of GF guests but the ones with celiac have to be way more careful. The ones with allergies will usually eat the matzah ball soup with no matzah ball, whereas those with celiac wouldn’t touch the soup. Most of our guests with allergies will eat stuff with small quantities of soy sauce but those with celiac cannot.

My kid with a gluten allergy cannot eat any amount of gluten, nor soup that has had kneidel cooked inside. Or cholent that has kishka. Or barley.

Oats need to be certified gluten free.

SingALong  

Post Yesterday at 9:09 pm
I don’t eat carbs for diet reasons, but I end up being gluten free. I find it easier to just cook with oil and spices, instead of trying to find all the substitute products to mimic gluten products

Meats/chicken.fish just oil and spices and grill or bake. Can do honey, mustard, tomato sauce, pesto
Veggies, also, I just spray and spice. A Pam of Broccli, spray, sprinkle garlic salt, bake for 45 minutes. Chunks of Sweet potatoes, spray, garlic powder and parsley flakes, bake like French fries, and hour in the oven. Whole baked potato or whole sweet potato. String beans with a Little oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, also roast in oven for 45 minutes.cauliflower, spray, I do a spice mix and roast an hour. Sauté onions and mushrooms for 5 minutes till soft. Roast an eggplant, cut in half, cut side down, when done make diagonal cuts on the cut side, drizzle Techina, sprinkle chopped parsley and pomegranate. Delicious and super filling.
Soups, just Oil, veggies and spices, no flour. I’ll add shredded chicken or meat sometimes.
I just started making kasha, it’s a gluten free farfel type of food, really good, that’s another easy side.

I find it much harder to use rice pasta, gf products and all this stuff, I just try to avoid products.

SingALong

Post Yesterday at 9:12 pm
And dessert is baked apple chunks with cinnamon and a bit of water, you have warm baked apple. No crumbs needed.
Or cut up fruit, fruit salad.

amother
Garnet

Post Yesterday at 9:52 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
My kid with a gluten allergy cannot eat any amount of gluten, nor soup that has had kneidel cooked inside. Or cholent that has kishka. Or barley.

Oats need to be certified gluten free.

Oy! I'm not so careful with my son who has celiac. I would give him soup that had knaidel inside. Is that an issue?

amother
  Tangerine  

Post Yesterday at 11:02 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
Oy! I'm not so careful with my son who has celiac. I would give him soup that had knaidel inside. Is that an issue?

Yes.

amother
  Tangerine

Post Yesterday at 11:03 pm
SingALong wrote:
I don’t eat carbs for diet reasons, but I end up being gluten free. I find it easier to just cook with oil and spices, instead of trying to find all the substitute products to mimic gluten products

Meats/chicken.fish just oil and spices and grill or bake. Can do honey, mustard, tomato sauce, pesto
Veggies, also, I just spray and spice. A Pam of Broccli, spray, sprinkle garlic salt, bake for 45 minutes. Chunks of Sweet potatoes, spray, garlic powder and parsley flakes, bake like French fries, and hour in the oven. Whole baked potato or whole sweet potato. String beans with a Little oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, also roast in oven for 45 minutes.cauliflower, spray, I do a spice mix and roast an hour. Sauté onions and mushrooms for 5 minutes till soft. Roast an eggplant, cut in half, cut side down, when done make diagonal cuts on the cut side, drizzle Techina, sprinkle chopped parsley and pomegranate. Delicious and super filling.
Soups, just Oil, veggies and spices, no flour. I’ll add shredded chicken or meat sometimes.
I just started making kasha, it’s a gluten free farfel type of food, really good, that’s another easy side.

I find it much harder to use rice pasta, gf products and all this stuff, I just try to avoid products.

PSA: some mustards contain wheat.

amother
Lotus

Post Today at 1:48 am
I think kellogs cornflake crumbs are gluten free but double check

amother
  Poppy

Post Today at 2:27 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
Yes.
For sure

amother
Papayawhip  

Post Today at 4:21 am
amother Lotus wrote:
I think kellogs cornflake crumbs are gluten free but double check

Nope they have malt.

amother
  Papayawhip

Post Today at 4:24 am
amother Garnet wrote:

Yes that’s an issue. I thought I was on the relaxed side but that’s extreme to me.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics