Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How to lower a1c
Previous  1  2  3  Next

tulip3

Post Yesterday at 5:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
I eat scrambled eggs and a slight sprinkle of mozzarella cheese

Tuna, salmon, vegetables in all form. Apples and a banana, some nuts.. not too many.. big salads

I don’t eat so much

I walk almost daily.

I do IF

I can’t sleep well. It’s always disturbed by adorable children

Are you eating enough in general/are you tracking? Are you eating enough fats every meal to compensate for no or very low carbs?

amother
Lime

Post Yesterday at 5:18 pm
OP it sounds like you’re doing a great job. A1C takes a view of three full months. Wait another month and retest, keep doing what you’re doing!

dankbar  

Post Yesterday at 5:31 pm
Banana is high in sugar

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 5:33 pm
dankbar wrote:
Banana is high in sugar

I know but I don’t think one banana is making my levels sky rocket. Am I wrong?

I’m working off a low calorie diet. I’m not tracking everything as it makes me crazy but I got the hang of how many calories are each food and I guess. I highly doubt I go over each day. I do have pcos so I find it hard to lose weight. But I’m literally not cheating it should be falling off!

What would strength training without dumbbells be?

dankbar  

Post Yesterday at 5:47 pm
For pcos and diabetes low carb would be better not low calorie.

dankbar

Post Yesterday at 5:47 pm
Low carb, high protein,and healthy fat.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:03 pm
I’m doing that! And low cal too… am I doing too much? I don’t have a big appetite to begin with. I’m not a big eater

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Yesterday at 6:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m doing that! And low cal too… am I doing too much? I don’t have a big appetite to begin with. I’m not a big eater

You're not doing low carb if you're eating bananas and apples. A medium banana has 27 carbs. A medium apple has 25 carbs. And if you're doing low carb, you need to include healthy data, which are not low calorie.

zaq

Post Yesterday at 6:20 pm
Strength training without dumbbells is isometrics and other exercises that use your body weight for resistance e.g. pushups. You could also use elastic exercise bands for resistance in lieu of dumbbells.

amother
  PlumPink

Post Yesterday at 6:23 pm
amother OP wrote:

I’m working off a low calorie diet. I’m not tracking everything as it makes me crazy but I got the hang of how many calories are each food and I guess. I highly doubt I go over each day. I do have pcos so I find it hard to lose weight. But I’m literally not cheating it should be falling off!

What would strength training without dumbbells be?

Eating low cal can actually cause your body to panic and hold onto weight. How many calories are you eating a day?

amother
  Lightgray

Post Yesterday at 6:44 pm
amother OP wrote:

One banana makes my levels skyrocket, but they do come down pretty quickly too, so I'd agree that this is not just about the banana.

But the only real way to know what's going on is to test. Either finger pricks, or better a CGM.

It's possible all of your numbers are great and it will just take time for the A1C to reflect that. Or it's also possible that your body is reacting poorly to something you are eating.

amother
Winterberry  

Post Yesterday at 7:02 pm
dankbar wrote:
Once you stop with sugar carbs the cravings stop too

Did you look and read what op is eating? She’s not eating sugar carbs. Op, try retesting in a few weeks. It sounds like you’re doing everything right and losing ten pounds is a very big deal. I’m saying that because you made it sound like nothing. Ten pound is a lot. If you can keep them off over yom tov you deserve an award. I’ll leave it to you to choose the award. Wink

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 7:13 pm
I so appreciate that encouragement. I’ll take an reward lol

I kept it off over rh. Maybe gained 1lb but considering all the bread (spelt sourdough and only “enough”) I ate and weird/late mealtimes and not even one cheat, I’m proud of myself.

I really don’t want to standstill over succos. I really want to keep loosing. I just don’t feel lighter. I don’t feel that ewwy feeling like after eating unhealthy foods but I still feel heaviness around my midsection/massive love handles.

My clothing isn’t any different either.

I figured at leeast my a1c would be good!

amother
  Brunette

Post Yesterday at 7:27 pm
Only low glycemic fruit
And not a lot of it
No bananas
No tropical fruits

amother
Snapdragon

Post Yesterday at 7:42 pm
Hi,
I did tons of research on this. In short:
Lower your saturated fat intake to max 17 got a day.
Eat enough carbs, but only of the whole complex variety: oats, brown rice, whole grain breads, etc
Increase your fiber intake, A LOT
eat plenty of non starchy veggies with every meal
Increase legumes
Aerobic exercise 4-5 a week, strength training 2-3 week
If you can, see a dietitian to jumpstart you. Do NOT a nutritionist, wellness person or something like that. They have barely any training. A dietician goes to school for years!!!
Follow the 80/20 rule (80% being healthy 🤪), be consistent and you'll do great!

amother
Broom  

Post Yesterday at 7:45 pm
If it doesn't go down after 3 months of this, I'd want a FULL thyroid panel and cortisol testing

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Yesterday at 8:17 pm
Are you checking your blood sugar 2 hrs after meals?

I'm not sure of the book, will try to come back & update, maybe New Glucose Revolution, helped me a lot.
1. Eat veg first! Salad or low carb cooked, then protein, then ur carb. Annoying...but it helps a LOT even for the same carb

2. TBSP of vinegar b4 meal, can be in salad

3. Walk for 10 min after meal

As carbs are bad for you, ask ur Rov if u can have just a kezayis NOT a kebaya!

There are a lot of supplements that help, bitter melon, gymnemna, you need to try different ones.

I just went to a functional med person. Turns out my thyroid is low, t4 not converting to t3, and nobody else thought to test this, so AHA maybe why I cant seem to lose! So you need a good workup from someone who looks at everything!

Hatzlacha!

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 8:18 pm
Can we be specific here? What are staturated fats that I might be eating that I don’t realize? I’m eating totally clean. Nothing processed! Aside from a slice of GeFilte fish! Only sugar is in apples and the one banana and maple syrup (minimally).

amother
Yolk

Post Yesterday at 8:20 pm
It does take three full months for dietary changes to be fully reflected in your a1c, but I also want to add, you're doing all the right things. You're limiting carbs and sugar (and no, an occasional banana isn't going to make or break your a1c). You're trying to lose weight. You're doing your hishtadlus.

The fact is that you have risk factors for diabetes. PCOS is associated with insulin resistance and higher risk of diabetes. It is possible that your body might need medical help in the form of medication, whether that's metformin or something else. Hopefully not, but you're doing your best. You'll talk to your doctor about the best steps to take care of your health. The rest is up to Hashem.

amother
Cream

Post Yesterday at 8:23 pm
Just chiming in that I can relate. My a1c was 5.3 3 months ago and now it's 5.5 no clue why. I actually lost 30lb since and I've been doing keto so almost not eating carbs. I also do intermittent fasting. I am very overweight but it should've gone down not up
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise