Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How to lower a1c
Previous  1  2  3

amother
DarkYellow

Post Yesterday at 11:36 pm
Saturated fats are in all animal products, red meats, chicken (lower than meat, but still), milk, cheese, choc,, oils, coconut oil is especially high in saturated fats. Many protein bars are also loaded.
You have to get your protein from plant based sources, ie: tofu, soy milk, edamame, etc....
You have to learn to read nutrition labels. For example: impossible meat isn't animal fat, must be healthy. Wrong, its loaded with saturated fats. May as well have a burger for that.
But whole complex carbs are also important. Fiber, non starchy veggies, fruit ( berries in particular) also very important.
And exercise!! Aerobic and strength!

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 12:15 am
amother Cream wrote:
Just chiming in that I can relate. My a1c was 5.3 3 months ago and now it's 5.5 no clue why. I actually lost 30lb since and I've been doing keto so almost not eating carbs. I also do intermittent fasting. I am very overweight but it should've gone down not up

This is exactly how I feel

amother
  Winterberry

Post Today at 12:28 am
amother Cream wrote:
Just chiming in that I can relate. My a1c was 5.3 3 months ago and now it's 5.5 no clue why. I actually lost 30lb since and I've been doing keto so almost not eating carbs. I also do intermittent fasting. I am very overweight but it should've gone down not up

Keto can mess up your body. Don’t eliminate all carbs. Eliminate all types of sugar and sweeteners including artificial sweeteners, but eat healthy carbs like oats, legumes, brown rice, yams. You need the fiber and you need the carbs too or your hormones get messed up.

nylon

Post Today at 12:44 am
5.8 is only just over the normal range, and a lot of doctors aren't fully convinced by that 5.7 threshold. What was your A1c this time? And there's negligible difference between 5.3 and 5.5. These are well within healthy numbers and this is normal fluctuation. No one will prescribe medication at this point. Some doctors will prescribe for pre diabetes at a 6, but you're not diabetic till you're over 6.5. (I have diabetes.)

There's no point doing an A1c more than every 90 days; you won't get meaningful results. CGMs don't have evidence for people who aren't diabetic because your pancreas work normally and you won't see the same postprandial spikes.

Nearly 50% of women with PCOS will develop Type 2 by age 40; I just missed out on that milestone by getting an official diagnosis at 41. We have a metabolic disorder. If you progress to T2D, it isn't a reflection on you, or mean you didn't eat right.

amother
  Broom

Post Today at 5:39 am
nylon wrote:
5.8 is only just over the normal range, and a lot of doctors aren't fully convinced by that 5.7 threshold. What was your A1c this time? And there's negligible difference between 5.3 and 5.5. These are well within healthy numbers and this is normal fluctuation. No one will prescribe medication at this point. Some doctors will prescribe for pre diabetes at a 6, but you're not diabetic till you're over 6.5. (I have diabetes.)

There's no point doing an A1c more than every 90 days; you won't get meaningful results. CGMs don't have evidence for people who aren't diabetic because your pancreas work normally and you won't see the same postprandial spikes.

Nearly 50% of women with PCOS will develop Type 2 by age 40; I just missed out on that milestone by getting an official diagnosis at 41. We have a metabolic disorder. If you progress to T2D, it isn't a reflection on you, or mean you didn't eat right.
PCOS is a cluster of symptoms, not a life sentence. Of course you can prevent tipping over into t2, and even reverse it if it happens.
Diet will be a huge piece. Androgens will be another. Addressing the thyroid piece a third.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Today at 6:06 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
Metformin does work---been taking it for close to a year- took it down significantly within first 3 months-

Did you lose weight on it?

amother
  OP

Post Today at 7:42 am
I’m the op- my numbers went from 5.8 to 6.1
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise