Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
What have you done that has helped your ADHD child?
Previous  1  2

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 10:48 am
Caffeine works similar to Ritalin.

Maybe try 1/2 c of caffeine coffee ☕ in the morning.

Also get enough sleep 😴

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:18 am
mediction and coaching to help me deal and understand my child

RG2

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 4:32 pm
Red light therapy for brain inflammation and neurofeedback. Undiagnosed ADHD. After about 6 months the teachers were noticing significant change.

amother
Orchid  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 4:37 pm
It really depends what symptoms you're trying to target. Inattention? Impulsivity? Hyperactivity? All of the above?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 4:38 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
It really depends what symptoms you're trying to target. Inattention? Impulsivity? Hyperactivity? All of the above?

Impulsivity is our biggest challenge right now.

amother
  Orchid  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 5:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Impulsivity is our biggest challenge right now.

Oy, good luck. Impulsivity is extremely difficult to manage without medication. I know kids who are literally in tears over their inability to control themselves without meds. Kids with adhd have about 2-3 year delay in the maturation of the prefrontal cortex. So a six year old will have the impulsivity of a 3-4 year old. It's just where the brain is holding developmentally and they truly aren't capable of much more.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 5:29 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
Oy, good luck. Impulsivity is extremely difficult to manage without medication. I know kids who are literally in tears over their inability to control themselves without meds. Kids with adhd have about 2-3 year delay in the maturation of the prefrontal cortex. So a six year old will have the impulsivity of a 3-4 year old. It's just where the brain is holding developmentally and they truly aren't capable of much more.

Yes my poor princess just wants to be good and is feeling so bad about herself. She's a people pleaser so this is really hurting her.

amother
  Sunflower

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 5:34 pm
While medication can have side effects (low appetite, trouble sleeping if they take it too late in the day) it is absolutely life changing.
Yes diet, exercise, OT etc are helpful to manage the day and some symptoms but if it is true ADHD then it is a biochemical issue and medication is a massive help. Just like asthmatic who stays away from triggers may need an inhaler, diabetics even with perfect diet need insulin- kids with ADHD can need meds. It isn't something that says anything negative about your kid. It is just how Hashem made them.

You can also start/stop meds if it doesn't work for them.
We do a stimulant in the morning and guanfacine in the afternoon (non stimulant so they can sleep, it stays in the body so it can give help the next day as well).

With it my kid can focus in class, does the best they can (not a perfect student but at least this allows my kid the ability to try!), and helps with self esteem.

It is a remarkable thing. It doesn't mean I am a bad parent or have no structure, control, routine etc. It doesn't mean they are problem kids. It is just how Hashem made them.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 5:45 pm
Many great ideas have been posted. I've tried many myself for my kid and I used to proclaim "skills, not pills"
Ultimately, these interventions take a lot of time, cost a lot money (OT, Chiropractor, Supplements) and are simply not as effective as medication. We need to be able to function in the society we live in. If you can homeschool and manage the environment for your child then maybe you don't need meds for a few more years but most ppl can't do that and the kids suffer without the right help.
You'll get your kid back with the right meds.
Lastly, Use a psychiatrist who really understands adhd, kids, and how the medications work

amother
  Orchid

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 6:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes my poor princess just wants to be good and is feeling so bad about herself. She's a people pleaser so this is really hurting her.

I understand! No one wants to see their child hurting. I have no skin in the game. But I'm a huge advocate for medication. It prevents kids from becoming at risk teenagers and literally saves lives.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 6:17 pm
There is a great book called "fire child water child" it divides adhd into 5 types and how to treat each naturally.

I've also done Nuerolinks for 2 kids and saw great success.

Diet also plays a major role in adhd kids.

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 6:24 pm
As an adult who finally tried medication at age 40, and finally feel like I'm LIVING...It's fine to try a thing or two, but if your child is unhappy, please offer her medication to help.

I have two kids diagnosed with ADHD. I waited a few years before medicating my first. When I finally did (in second grade), it was because he came home miserable. He had no friends -- he had alienated all the ones he'd had beforehand. His siblings were scared of his impulsive outbursts. His teachers were at their wits end...and honestly, so was I. So in his mind, the whole world was against him, and there was nothing he could do about it. He was miserable.

Looking back, I can't believe I let it get to that point. He was in therapy, we'd cut out certain foods and dyes, tried fish oil...I was trying so hard. But I was holding back the one thing that would really help him.

Please don't wait until you're at that point. I didn't realize we were getting there until we got there. And it took some time to come back from that point. B"H he's thriving now, but I still kick myself when I remember...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)