Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Could my baby be adhd?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 2:41 pm
When my kid turned 3 and started school and didn't manage, I eventually got and received a diagnosis of adhd and asd. (I don't think the asd is accurate but I do think it captured how regressive the behaviors were at the time of diagnosis)

In hindsight, that child was a calm and chill baby. Except that dc never played with toys. And would just wander around the park without engaging. All the morahs in playgroup had no problems. It was only when we hit real school that it became obvious.

I have other kids and they're copies of each other. I always knew this kid was different from them.

Now my baby who's like 16 months. Same gender as the older one. I'm watching this baby wander around the park... not play with any toys... great baby, cute, sleeps and eats well, advanced etc... but I'm getting deja vu here.

How soon would I know?

giftedmom

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:29 pm
That’s ASD behaviors you’re describing not ADHD

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:36 pm
I don’t mean to highjack the thread but I’m watching a baby space out a lot very often /kind of get this glazed look with eyes wide open. And at other times can’t sit still for anything, won’t even sit long enough to take a bottle even when very hungry. Baby is seven months but this has been going on for a number of months already and both parents are very adhd.

Does it make any sense to see these things at such young ages?

I’ve raised a bunch of my own but never saw this- to this degree.

amother
Geranium  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:38 pm
You are describing asd and yes in hindsight most people can look back and see the red flags. Now that you know what they meant you can notice it already and it might very well be an indication.

amother
  Geranium  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:39 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
I don’t mean to highjack the thread but I’m watching a baby space out a lot very often /kind of get this glazed look with eyes wide open. And at other times can’t sit still for anything, won’t even sit long enough to take a bottle even when very hungry. Baby is seven months but this has been going on for a number of months already and both parents are very adhd.

This sounds concerning. I’d think seizures or other brain issue. Are they discussing it with a doctor?

amother
Mintcream  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:40 pm
No one can "be ADHD" but they can "have ADHD." If you have concerns about play skills you should definitely bring it up with a professional.

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:40 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:

The glazed look your describing I would rule out seizures

amother
Babyblue  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:46 pm
NEVER DIAGNOSE A BABY! A therapist who offers to do that for you that's a serous red flag.
That being said I have found that all babies have ADHD. I never actually studied it or researched or tested this it's just a personal theory. But after working with kids of all ages babies seem to have all the symptoms. Their attention span is zero they can't even eat without getting distracted they have no sense of time period forget about time management and more examples I can't think of right now.
Again that last part has zero basis other than my own theory which I've never verified so yeah take it with a grain of salt. (But if there's anyone who's actually knowledgeable in this area is this theory credible? Every time I see a toddler do something impulsive I wonder about this.)

amother
  Geranium

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:50 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:
NEVER DIAGNOSE A BABY! A therapist who offers to do that for you that's a serous red flag.
That being said I have found that all babies have ADHD. I never actually studied it or researched or tested this it's just a personal theory. But after working with kids of all ages babies seem to have all the symptoms. Their attention span is zero they can't even eat without getting distracted they have no sense of time period forget about time management and more examples I can't think of right now.
Again that last part has zero basis other than my own theory which I've never verified so yeah take it with a grain of salt. (But if there's anyone who's actually knowledgeable in this area is this theory credible? Every time I see a toddler do something impulsive I wonder about this.)

That’s just false. Any time I’ve seen certain behaviors in babies and toddlers they were all diagnosed at a later age. I’ve worked with tons of babies and toddlers that had no such flags.

amother
  Mintcream  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:51 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:

It's not called having ADHD, it's called developmentally appropriate behavior at that age. There can be signs in infants and toddlers (which would be extremes of those behaviors), but no one should be diagnosing kids with adhd at that age. Typically the earliest would be age four, and that's for more severe cases.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:25 pm
Well I can be add lol but yes I know it's "have"

I don't believe my baby or my older child have actual asd. I'm quite familiar with it. Like I said the behaviors at the time of diagnosis definitely warranted an asd diagnosis but I think even now they'd test out of it, since having made so much progress.

I'm not really looking for a diagnosis but more like, what can I even do? So far I've been denied early intervention for speech. Deja vu because this happened as well to my other kid and until this day 5 years later we are dealing with the fallout of not having received proper speech services at a young age.

That child gave me a run for my money and was impossible to deal with. And will probably have lasting issues with self esteem. I'd like to avoid that this time. But I don't even know how.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:31 pm
similar situation to yours, due to the fact it was kid #2 mimicking my older child whose behavior and development was not typical( I only. noticed in retrospect) by my next kid who looked similar I started intervention at 6 months, paid out of pocket because Early intervention originally denied some of the services. and yes, at 10m gaven tentative dx- because of familial history.
was worth every penny I spent out of pocket!!!

amother
  Mintcream

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 5:07 pm
amother OP wrote:

I don't believe my baby or my older child have actual asd. I'm quite familiar with it. Like I said the behaviors at the time of diagnosis definitely warranted an asd diagnosis but I think even now they'd test out of it, since having made so much progress.

I'm not really looking for a diagnosis but more like, what can I even do? So far I've been denied early intervention for speech. Deja vu because this happened as well to my other kid and until this day 5 years later we are dealing with the fallout of not having received proper speech services at a young age.

That child gave me a run for my money and was impossible to deal with. And will probably have lasting issues with self esteem. I'd like to avoid that this time. But I don't even know how.

You can try qualifying for OT, that sounds more applicable. But you may have to pay oop.

miami85

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 5:10 pm
My son with ADHD I suspected something was different from day 1. There was something diagnosed at 20 months, but the ADHD didnt get diagnosed until he was 9.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 5:52 pm
amother OP wrote:

You can get speech covered by insurance, go to a center that takes insurance based for therapy sessions.

Happydance  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 6:03 pm
My ASD/ADHD child had symptoms from day one. And by that I mean the nurses exclaiming how unusually active he was in utero at first ultrasound. And that continued entire pregnancy. Difficulty with nursing from a sensory aspect (refused nursing at times which no nursing consultant was able to help with, was particular about which bottle nipples, wouldn’t nurse if wet, didn’t take bottle well if he was being held). And my pediatrician making suggestions to help his nurse relating to reducing stimuli in environment due to unusually high distractibility .

amother
Jasmine  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 6:35 pm
If you are interested in pursuing a biological root cause approach, there are loads of things you could be doing now to help heal the imbalances in the body that are contributing to the symptoms you're seeing.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 7:46 pm
It can definitely be adhd but what could you do about it now? I saw lots of signs in my baby that would late be diagnosed with adhd at 6. Was no surprise

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 7:52 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:

I hear you.
You are correct people should stear clear of a professional ready to diagnose a baby.
That being said all of my "uniqueness" has always been obvious from infanthood. Later diagnosis of add, adhd, si issues, anxiety, shyness, spacial awareness, ..... (obviously not all same child) where all very obvious as a baby

amother
  Babyblue  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:05 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
It's not called having ADHD, it's called developmentally appropriate behavior at that age. There can be signs in infants and toddlers (which would be extremes of those behaviors), but no one should be diagnosing kids with adhd at that age. Typically the earliest would be age four, and that's for more severe cases.

What I actually wrote was that all babies act like they have ADHD. Which would mean that yes it's typical age appropriate behavior. What I was wondering was if there was a connection between the two. For example babies are impulsive so are people with ADHD. Is it because people with ADHD never develop impulse control because of the ADHD?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)