Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How can I get Into Home owner association management

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 3:04 pm
How do I start from scratch. I’m 62 years old.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 8:53 am
Bump

justforfun87  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 9:06 am
This seems like a very niche job and I tried Googling it. Do you have an HOA at your development? Do you mean professionally or you want to join your HOA as a board member?

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 9:08 am
justforfun87 wrote:
This seems like a very niche job and I tried Googling it. Do you have an HOA at your development? Do you mean professionally or you want to join your HOA as a board member?

I want it as a job. Someone told me it’s a good idea but I’m not sure whst is is and even if it’s a good idea

justforfun87

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 9:10 am
amother OP wrote:
I want it as a job. Someone told me it’s a good idea but I’m not sure whst is is and even if it’s a good idea

Is it possible they meant property management?

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 9:34 am
Work for any property management company that manages HOA's. I did this my first job out of Seminary.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 10:32 am
justforfun87 wrote:
Is it possible they meant property management?

They said specifically hoa and specified not property management

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 10:33 am
stillnewlywed wrote:
Work for any property management company that manages HOA's. I did this my first job out of Seminary.

How do you get to work at hoa and how did you get the job at property management

Amarante  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 10:49 am
Most HOA use management companies that specialize in HOA because there are different issues.

Management if an HOA made up of single family homes is different than a multi family condo building.

For example, HOA have specific rules based on their CCR as well as state law.

Many property management companies are actually rental companies which handle large apartment buildings. This isn’t dine by an HOA management company since units are individually owned.

That said, what is your skill set? Management companies use bookkeepers to handle finances if the HOA and also need their own administrative support. Higher level people advise on how to proceed in terms of helping with annual budgets, attending Board meetings etc. Many understand constriction and maintenance and can advise accordingly and review complicated contracts for non legal stuff.

My condo employs its own full time manager and he has a Certificate as he has taken number out courses in various aspects of HOA management.

It seems like an odd recommendation for someone with no experience or expertise in the field. Why was this recommended to you?

If you are looking for a job, take stock of your skills and look for a job utilizing those skills.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 11:12 am
Amarante wrote:
Most HOA use management companies that specialize in HOA because there are different issues.

Management if an HOA made up of single family homes is different than a multi family condo building.

For example, HOA have specific rules based on their CCR as well as state law.

Many property management companies are actually rental companies which handle large apartment buildings. This isn’t dine by an HOA management company since units are individually owned.

That said, what is your skill set? Management companies use bookkeepers to handle finances if the HOA and also need their own administrative support. Higher level people advise on how to proceed in terms of helping with annual budgets, attending Board meetings etc. Many understand constriction and maintenance and can advise accordingly and review complicated contracts for non legal stuff.

My condo employs its own full time manager and he has a Certificate as he has taken number out courses in various aspects of HOA management.

It seems like an odd recommendation for someone with no experience or expertise in the field. Why was this recommended to you?

If you are looking for a job, take stock of your skills and look for a job utilizing those skills.

Thank you for your advice. I am looking for a job I stayed home with my children and now I need the income. I don’t have specific skills. It was recommended to me to take the course and start maybe as assistant. I’m not sure if it’s even a good advise and if it’s feasible

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 11:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for your advice. I am looking for a job I stayed home with my children and now I need the income. I don’t have specific skills. It was recommended to me to take the course and start maybe as assistant. I’m not sure if it’s even a good advise and if it’s feasible

If you have no skills, you would be better off acquiring basic computer skills like word processing and applying for administrative assistant jobs in any field.

It doesn’t appear there is anything in yiur background or in your interests that make HOA management specifically good for you.

If you had served on the Board of your own HOA then there would be a basis.

I don’t understand why anyone specifically recommended this to you.

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 11:17 am
Amarante wrote:
If you have no skills, you would be better off acquiring basic computer skills like word processing and applying for administrative assistant jobs in any field.

It doesn’t appear there is anything in yiur background or in your interests that make HOA management specifically good for you.

If you had served on the Board of your own HOA then there would be a basis.

I don’t understand why anyone specifically recommended this to you.

She said that it is fast to get the certification and you can earn a good salary. 🤔
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics