Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Do you go to the mikvah erev yom kippur?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you go to the mikvah erev yom kippur
Yes (barring extenuating circumstances)  
 37%  [ 93 ]
No, it's not my minhag  
 48%  [ 120 ]
No, even though it's my minhag (please explain why not)  
 13%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 246

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 7:45 am
“During the shiva nekiyim a woman is still niddah.”

Actually just found out from our Rav that even during shiva nekiyim, one should not go. Of course, everyone should ask their LOR.

amother
NeonPink

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 7:54 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
How much do they charge? I'm going to a friend's shul mikvah and want to give her the standard amount. Thanks!
around 20dollars
Which chassidus go?
I thought only Rebbetzins go?
If there's no mikva lady how do you know when it's available

amother
Lemonlime

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 8:25 am
Do most Rachamstrivke chassidim go?

amother
Dimgray  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 8:43 am
simcha12plus wrote:
yes you are missing the point.
It is for added kedusha and tahara.
Much more like men going daily or weekly or before shabbos/YT.
It is completely unrelated to Niddah.
There is no chafifah. One can go during niddah. If during shiva nikiyiim, there are differing opinions.

Are you sure one can go during niddah? I recall that not.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 8:59 am
amother Denim wrote:
What? You can go while bleeding?
Isn't that unsanitary?

No. You don't go while bleeding. Of course not!

It's not a chicken market everywhere.

For me it's a lovely welcoming break on erev yom kippur.

In the local shul, the men's changing rooms are divided and covered in drapes to accommodate the ladies privacy.

You pay, the get a card with your room number. There is a paper hanging on the mikvah drape saying "stop" on one side and "go" on the other.
Like this you know if someone is there. When you go in, you switch to "stop" when you leave your switch to "go"
You go back to your changing room, dress, then hand the lady at the front your room card.

Quiet peaceful clean respectful uplifting.

They take a break for an hour midway to run the filters.

Hours are posted on the door and on community chat rooms.

This is in monroe.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 9:00 am
Even though it's the community minhag, my mother never went and I don't go either. I'm very not comfortable going swimming in a regular pool, I should go to the mikvah with other women?
Until dh finally stopped badgering me about it, he doesn't get it.
Good for the women who do go.

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 9:48 am
amother Cerise wrote:
I’ve gone since I got married and never once experienced this cramped chicken market people are describing.
Maybe because I live in a smaller community so this works, but everyone books a 15 min appt and you usually don’t even see the lady before you or after you. You just let yourself in go toivel and leave. Very civilized and feels like a good spiritual prep for yk, especially because with little kids I don’t always get to feel that holiness on the day.

Where is this maybe I try by appt! I can’t do the chaos!!!

amother
  Dimgray

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 9:55 am
I don’t go because I’m afraid of going under water. Going for the mitzvah was more than enough.

amother
Maroon  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 10:10 am
I asked last night and was told to go even during my 7 clean days, EXCEPT if it would be Day 7.

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 10:15 am
In Williamsburg the ladies all stand in a rows across the entire hallway. It’s overwhelming.

I live in Lakewood now and would go, I’m only keeping back because I’m very weak and sick in a pregnancy to an extent that the Dr doesnt let me fast.
She says you didn’t even have the strength to hold even your head up 2 weeks ago in my office with 90/60 bp.and I was bleeding and dehydrated with HG. And since I still get dizzy almost every day especially when I don’t eat she’s worried I will faint and injure me or baby.

I have a heter to eat shiurim the entire time and to fast out when I feel dizzy since I was extremely sick up until now and haven’t gotten to recuperate yet with the yontiv season which I barely have koach for.

So mikva will need to wait for the 9th month iyh

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 10:19 am
I do go
I used to live in Yerushalayim, where it was super busy, but still private and everyone got their own few minutes, no rushing.
Now I live out of town, and it was a nice, relaxing experience. No long lines, everyone took a quick shower before, so no gross water,and no feeling rushed b"h!

amother
Bubblegum

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 10:20 am
My mother and sister go but never went, I don't think my husband has the minhag.

amother
Anemone

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 10:37 am
simcha12plus wrote:
yes you are missing the point.
It is for added kedusha and tahara.
Much more like men going daily or weekly or before shabbos/YT.
It is completely unrelated to Niddah.
There is no chafifah. One can go during niddah. If during shiva nikiyiim, there are differing opinions.

You can't go during nidda, you're defeating the purpose.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 11:12 am
Dh doesn't even go. My father goes on erev yom tov; my mother never went for yom kippur. As it's not my minhag or dh's minhag, I have no reason to do it. Dh used to go on erev yom kippur but stopped during covid and didn't start again. My 17-year-old ds is going today for the first time. He knew he was supposed to since his bar mitzvah, but since dh stopped going, he said it's no longer his minhag.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 11:24 am
I go. It's our minhag. Unfortunately doesn't make me feel spiritual or special. But I feel that I need to do it anyway. I also feel like I didn't do much to prepare spiritually for yk so this is my prep

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 11:35 am
The first year I got married we were at my in-laws, so I went to where my MIL sent me, to the big Satmar mikvah in Williamsburg. I was in early pregnancy, and felt like I was fainting. Waiting on line forever, looking like ghosts, the noise, the chaos, the stuffiness. Eventually a kind woman who saw I wasn't doing well led me to the front of the line. It was a total disaster for me, and for women who don't know of other options, I totally understand why they wouldn't repeat that experience.

The next year we were again in Williamsburg, I did my research and went to a small shul nearby which was a much better experience. Shorter line, in and out, I wore my own robe.

After that, I went every year local (where I live) except in extenuating circumstances (injury, nidda, etc.) I've gone to many different mikvaos here and NEVER again experienced anything like that first year. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would never be able to imagine it because my experiences since then have been so so different.

It's not such a difficult minhag to keep, and I feel like I'm doing the right thing to prep for YT, so I go. (My mother goes, and so does my grandmother, but some of my sisters don't.)

amother
  Maroon

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 11:37 am
amother Anemone wrote:
You can't go during nidda, you're defeating the purpose.

As I said upthread, the Dayan my husband asked last night told me to go. I am nidda, in the shiva nekiyim.
Apparantly, according to him, going while nidda does not defeat the purpose. I trust my Dayan.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur