Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Forgot to cancel cleaning lady Friday 😳
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Linen  

Post Today at 12:05 am
This happened to me once when we went away for a few days.
I meant to text her and tell her not to come but I kept pushing it off. And then I forgot and she showed up!
I felt terrible apologized and told her I will pay her back for her taxi (which was $12 each way).
Once I reimbursed her for transportation I didn’t feel like I needed to pay her for a day off. I truly felt bad and let her know that. As this was the first time something like this happened she was easily able to look past my mistake especially since I apologized and reimbursed for transportation.

amother
Ballota

Post Today at 12:09 am
I'm shocked that anyone thinks it's ok to not pay for the day.

I'm glad most people are in agreement. She showed up. It's your mistake. Pay for the day. The end.

amother
Caramel  

Post Today at 12:16 am
amother Ballota wrote:
I'm shocked that anyone thinks it's ok to not pay for the day.

I'm glad most people are in agreement. She showed up. It's your mistake. Pay for the day. The end.

Same here. I thought it's standard to pay for their regular hours if you cancel on them. I don't think it's okay to cancel on them & just not pay.

amother
  Caramel

Post Today at 12:18 am
amother Linen wrote:
I meant to text her and tell her not to come but I kept pushing it off. And then I forgot and she showed up!
I felt terrible apologized and told her I will pay her back for her taxi (which was $12 each way).
Once I reimbursed her for transportation I didn’t feel like I needed to pay her for a day off. I truly felt bad and let her know that. As this was the first time something like this happened she was easily able to look past my mistake especially since I apologized and reimbursed for transportation.

This is not okay. It's not her day off. It's a workday which she was counting on the money for & you forgot to let her know that you won't be home & she showed up. You should've paid her regular fee.

amother
  Linen  

Post Today at 12:28 am
amother Caramel wrote:
This is not okay. It's not her day off. It's a workday which she was counting on the money for & you forgot to let her know that you won't be home & she showed up. You should've paid her regular fee.

She canceled on me many times. She prioritized many other things before her job. She was fine taking many days off.
And she was fine when I told her I wasn’t home. She often complained about the high cost of the taxi so I told her right away that I would pay her back for having to take the taxi for no reason that day. She really appreciated that.

amother
  Crimson

Post Today at 12:30 am
amother Caramel wrote:
Same here. I thought it's standard to pay for their regular hours if you cancel on them. I don't think it's okay to cancel on them & just not pay.

I’m pretty sure I was told halachicly I need to give them advance notice with enough time to find other work. Otherwise I need to pay if cancelling with no chance to find other work.

notshanarishona  

Post Today at 12:31 am
amother Caramel wrote:

If you cancel at least a day or two in advance , I don’t see anything wrong with not paying. That’s the way a hourly job works, all the more so when it’s cash/ no contract. In this case 100% the right thing is to pay since not only was there no notice but she waited around.

Simple1

Post Today at 12:33 am
amother Caramel wrote:

If she forgot to tell her and she showed up, she should pay. But I don’t pay if I cancel with advance notice. She comes a couple of hours twice a week and we are not on a contract. And she has randomly not showed up without telling me. Professionals like therapists ask for 24 hours notice.

Last edited by Simple1 on Sun, Oct 06 2024, 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Raizle

Post Today at 12:37 am
amother Peach wrote:
This is nice of you but not necessary, you can cancel a day and not pay, you don't have to offer replacement.

That depends. If you give her no time to find other work such as in the OPs post then you really should pay the full time and expected to have work. Especially as she came out and waited.

amother
Aubergine

Post Today at 12:41 am
I think it’s totally normal to forget, but I’m totally shocked that you would consider not paying her for the whole day! If I were her and you didn’t pay, I would quit immediately. I paid my cleaning lady and extra 400 shekels before the holidays is a bonus and she was stuck in my safe room because she stayed extra late and the bombs were going off. She is Jewish, but it doesn’t matter. I would’ve paid anybody that time. I actually canceled her for part of the summer because we were away and paid for every single hour. I’m so shocked that people can treat somebody so poorly.

notshanarishona  

Post Today at 12:47 am
If you offer any service to someone weekly or daily , you don’t get paid if they cancel or over yom tov. If you have a regular any type of appointment (chiropractor , doctor, therapist, swimming lesson, hourly babysitter, laser, electrolysis, music lesson) you cancel you don’t pay. The only exception would be if you pay a monthly fee regardless of how many days of service such as playgroup morah or tuition.

ora_43

Post Today at 4:39 am
notshanarishona wrote:
If you offer any service to someone weekly or daily , you don’t get paid if they cancel or over yom tov. If you have a regular any type of appointment (chiropractor , doctor, therapist, swimming lesson, hourly babysitter, laser, electrolysis, music lesson) you cancel you don’t pay. The only exception would be if you pay a monthly fee regardless of how many days of service such as playgroup morah or tuition.

Many many service providers will charge you in full if you cancel with less than 24 hours notice. In fact I think every adult I know in this kind of business either has a cancellation policy, or hand-picks their clients to avoid the issue.

amother
  Linen  

Post Today at 7:14 am
Don’t worry. Most of these ladies are not shy and will let you know if they expect more/full payment the rare times you need to cancel.
Where I live, the ladies who work as cleaning help are very unreliable and cancel on you often. They are fine if you cancel upon occasion especially since most of the time we ask for extra hours way more than the amount of times we cancel.

amother
Hyacinth  

Post Today at 7:29 am
amother Peach wrote:
This is nice of you but not necessary, you can cancel a day and not pay, you don't have to offer replacement.

But this op didn’t cancel. I don’t pay when I cancel but it’s enough advance notice for her to make other plans (either for a day off / appointments or ask around for another job).

I would definitely pay for her time.

amother
  Hyacinth

Post Today at 7:34 am
amother Linen wrote:

How would you feel if your daughter had a babysitting job for the day, say in between school and camp. Got dressed and showed up only to be told “oh I forgot I don’t need you today, and forgot to cancel, here is a taxi back home enjoy your “off day””?

Again, if you cancel in advance (even just the night before at a minimum) they can try I to look for other work or make plans.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 7:39 am
Thanks can anyone help me write up the text?
She doesn't speak English and will use Google translate to read what I write.
I'm also careful what I write in text to her vehamayvin yavin...

amother
  Peach  

Post Today at 7:46 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
How would you feel if your daughter had a babysitting job for the day, say in between school and camp. Got dressed and showed up only to be told “oh I forgot I don’t need you today, and forgot to cancel, here is a taxi back home enjoy your “off day””?

Again, if you cancel in advance (even just the night before at a minimum) they can try I to look for other work or make plans.

Happens to my daughter all the time. People forgetting they reserved her or cancelling last second. She realizes they are human and just moves on.

notshanarishona

Post Today at 7:58 am
ora_43 wrote:
Many many service providers will charge you in full if you cancel with less than 24 hours notice. In fact I think every adult I know in this kind of business either has a cancellation policy, or hand-picks their clients to avoid the issue.

100%.. I was responding to the amother above who was suggesting that any time you cancel you need to pay and I was saying just if it’s without whatever notice you are supposed to give you need to pay. In this case she for sure should pay.

amother
  Linen  

Post Today at 8:41 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks can anyone help me write up the text?
She doesn't speak English and will use Google translate to read what I write.
I'm also careful what I write in text to her vehamayvin yavin...

Maria, I am so sorry that you came to my house on Friday. I forgot to tell you that it was a Jewish holiday and I wouldn’t be home. I’m really sorry and I feel bad. I will give you some payment for this misunderstanding. See you on Friday.

Google translate-

María, lamento mucho que hayas venido a mi casa el viernes. Olvidé decirte que era una fiesta judía y no estaría en casa. Lo siento mucho y me siento mal. Te daré algo de pago por este malentendido. Nos vemos el viernes.

amother
  Peach

Post Today at 8:42 am
ora_43 wrote:

Legally they can’t and they would all lose in court. You can only charge a non refundable retainer.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur