Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Forgot to cancel cleaning lady Friday 😳
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 7:17 pm
And I feel TERRIBLE

I am not exactly on top of my game in general 😞, I remembered in the middle of the night.
She usually comes 4-5 hours.

She came, called, texted and waited an hour.

I need to text her back to apologize.
Any help what to message her?
I really want her to know I feel bad.

Also should I offer to pay her half or the whole time?

Please don't judge, I feel bad enough.

amother
Catmint  

Post Yesterday at 7:19 pm
I would pay her for the day

amother
Glitter  

Post Yesterday at 7:20 pm
I don't think you need to pay her for more than the hour that she spent waiting. But it depends on your relationship with her. I would apologize for not responding and explain it was a holiday. And then set up your schedule for the next few weeks....

Ima Piano

Post Yesterday at 7:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
And I feel TERRIBLE

I am not exactly on top of my game in general 😞, I remembered in the middle of the night.
She usually comes 4-5 hours.

She came, called, texted and waited an hour.

I need to text her back to apologize.
Any help what to message her?
I really want her to know I feel bad.

Also should I offer to pay her half or the whole time?

Please don't judge, I feel bad enough.

Tell her your really sorry but you had so much on your head and forgot to let her know not to come. Explain to her it was the holidays and you were not home. Offer to pay for the whole time she came to you to work and you weren't there. Tell her the truth and apologize

amother
Candycane

Post Yesterday at 7:22 pm
You pay for the hours you were supposed to have her!!! Treat her well she will treat you well.

It’s on you to ask if she wants day off (that’s when I don’t pay for the day) or ask if she wants to work at a neighbor (and find a replacement). But if she wants to work and neighbors don’t want I pay for my time.

amother
  Catmint

Post Yesterday at 7:23 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
I don't think you need to pay her for more than the hour that she spent waiting. But it depends on your relationship with her. I would apologize for not responding and explain it was a holiday. And then set up your schedule for the next few weeks....

Why shouldn't she pay for the whole day? The lady went to work expecting to make a certain amount of money why shouldn't she?

amother
Peach  

Post Yesterday at 7:24 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
You pay for the hours you were supposed to have her!!! Treat her well she will treat you well.

It’s on you to ask if she wants day off (that’s when I don’t pay for the day) or ask if she wants to work at a neighbor (and find a replacement). But if she wants to work and neighbors don’t want I pay for my time.

This is nice of you but not necessary, you can cancel a day and not pay, you don't have to offer replacement.

amother
Aconite

Post Yesterday at 7:26 pm
Happened to me once, I paid her travel time and wait time (3h total) which was about half anyways

amother
Crimson  

Post Yesterday at 7:32 pm
Halachicly you might need to pay her if she actually showed up to work.

amother
Nutmeg

Post Yesterday at 7:33 pm
amother Candycane wrote:

One day you will learn the hard way that this isn’t true

It will hurt more

amother
  Glitter

Post Yesterday at 7:34 pm
amother Catmint wrote:

Why shouldn't she pay for the whole day? The lady went to work expecting to make a certain amount of money why shouldn't she?

I get why you would pay her for the day, but I don't think it's a must. She didn't actually do the work or spend the full time at work. As someone who gets paid by the hour, I sometimes have a shorter day than expected and it's too bad on me... no one pays my full day rate if I don't have a full day a work to do.... for example, on the day after isru chag my school opens an hour late - that means I make an hour less of pay.... sometimes I show up to work for a full day and school is dismissed early without warning because of a rebbish chasunah... I don't get paid for that time either. She didn't work or stay the full time so you aren't required to pay her, in my opinion. Is it nice to, sure. But not necessary.

amother
Aquamarine  

Post Yesterday at 7:34 pm
pay her for the day

Ema of 5  

Post Yesterday at 7:36 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
I would pay her for the day

I would pay extra, if she called, texted, AND waited an hour.

Ema of 5

Post Yesterday at 7:39 pm
OP, where were you while she was waiting an hour? Were you home? Were you in shul? How do you know she waited an hour?
Whatever you decide, when you talk to her, make sure you go over the rest of the month with her. If you don’t want her coming over chag, let her know NOW about succos.

amother
  Aquamarine

Post Yesterday at 7:39 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
I get why you would pay her for the day, but I don't think it's a must. She didn't actually do the work or spend the full time at work. As someone who gets paid by the hour, I sometimes have a shorter day than expected and it's too bad on me... no one pays my full day rate if I don't have a full day a work to do.... for example, on the day after isru chag my school opens an hour late - that means I make an hour less of pay.... sometimes I show up to work for a full day and school is dismissed early without warning because of a rebbish chasunah... I don't get paid for that time either. She didn't work or stay the full time so you aren't required to pay her, in my opinion. Is it nice to, sure. But not necessary.

I understand but don't agree for this situation
If the cleaning lady would leave early for an appointment and she would work less than sure pay her less but she showed up and she deserves pay for the day

bayis ne’eman

Post Yesterday at 7:46 pm
I would pay her for the full day .

amother
Turquoise

Post Yesterday at 7:57 pm
I would pay for the full day since it’s you’re fault.. it’s fine that you forgot but it’s not her problem that you forgot..

mommyhood

Post Yesterday at 7:57 pm
I did this once. I apologized and paid her for the full day. I don’t pay her when I cancel in advance but paying her in that situation was a no brainier to me.

amother
Iris

Post Yesterday at 8:02 pm
amother Glitter wrote:

She may have been able to get another job for the full amount if she would have known.

amother
Honeydew

Post Yesterday at 8:55 pm
This happened to me also on Friday except my help is hired out by. 3rd person who always confirms with me first. She didn’t get a response of course but sent her anyway I still felt so bad I wasn’t clear I didn’t need her and paid for her travel time about an hour.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur