Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Please let guests know if you use avocado oil...
Previous  1  2

amother
Mintcream

Post Today at 7:17 am
Im allergic to coconut. It's an allergy that only ever came up around desserts.
Fast forward to a time when all of a sudden coconut oil was in everything and the solution to everything. All it took was one incident (in a meal sent me postpartum) to make me realize this is an allergy that could be in anything. Now I tell people in advance.

imaima

Post Today at 7:22 am
amother Mintcream wrote:
Im allergic to coconut. It's an allergy that only ever came up around desserts.
Fast forward to a time when all of a sudden coconut oil was in everything and the solution to everything. All it took was one incident (in a meal sent me postpartum) to make me realize this is an allergy that could be in anything. Now I tell people in advance.

Agreed, coconut and avocado are trendy ingredients now

amother
Lightcyan

Post Today at 7:53 am
Literally no. I'm someone with some wacky allergies and it's on YOU to ask specifics before you put anything in your mouth. Not on your host.

amother
  Milk

Post Today at 7:58 am
People who don't have allergies in. Their family don't think about these things. It's not on their radar. At all.
They won't tell you what they used and there could be cross contamination.

amother
Scarlet

Post Today at 8:04 am
You should absolutely be letting people know when you accept an invitation. If I'm taking the time to prepare a nice meal for guests, it's very disappointing to me if it turns out they can't eat some or most of the food because of an allergy that they didn't disclose.

We have multiple food allergies in our family, some more common than others. I always let our hosts know in advance, and I also let them know that if it's too complicated to avoid those foods, or they feel too nervous to accept responsibility, we have no expectations and will make sure to have food at home for anyone who couldn't eat what was prepared. Most people would prefer to make an effort to accommodate as much as possible. Not saying anything in advance is inconsiderate guest behavior IMO.

Raizle

Post Today at 8:05 am
imaima wrote:
Agreed, coconut and avocado are trendy ingredients now

Coconut oil used to be. I don't think it is so much anymore

amother
Garnet

Post Today at 8:19 am
So interesting I have a kid with nut allergies and nut oils are not an issue, I specifically asked the doctor cuz we use walnut oil for pesach. Maybe these are different.

theoneandonly

Post Today at 8:44 am
I think the PSA should be the opposite: for people with allergies to avocado, PSA that avocado oil is very common nowadays and can be in anything.

amother
Almond

Post Today at 8:46 am
I do not understand why you don't tell people your allergies. Anyone I have as a guest gives me a list of allergies no matter how weird. Especially because avocado oil is so commonly used these days.

amother
  Moccasin

Post Today at 8:51 am
amother Milk wrote:
People who don't have allergies in. Their family don't think about these things. It's not on their radar. At all.
They won't tell you what they used and there could be cross contamination.

Which is precisely why the people with allergies being hosted must absolutely inform their hosts of every possible ingredient that could be problematic.

amother
Blueberry

Post Today at 8:59 am
I think it is on the guest with allergies to mention it in advance. You can't expect the host to on the spot be able to accommodate. And most hosts will be fine with that. If one of my guests tells me they can't have something, I will happily try and have a menu that doesn't contain that.
Something like eggs or more common food items, I may not be able to make all my food allergen free, but I will then let the guest know which food is okay to eat.
I think it's easier if you have allergies in the family as you're more used to adapting and also know how common it is for some allergens to be in so many things.

amother
Black

Post Today at 9:16 am
Yes. My husband’s allergic to nuts and he’s had some issues in restaurants that put vegan cashew cheese on dishes (and even when he tells the waiter they don’t always realize that the “cheese” shavings are a problem). It’s your responsibility to tell the host. I ask guests because allergies are on my radar but most people who doesn’t have allergies don’t even think about them.

amother
Birch

Post Today at 9:47 am
If you have an allergy, it’s your responsibility to let the host know .

amother
Ultramarine

Post Today at 10:08 am
amother Garnet wrote:
So interesting I have a kid with nut allergies and nut oils are not an issue, I specifically asked the doctor cuz we use walnut oil for pesach. Maybe these are different.

Same with me. I'm allergic to avocados as in I'll throw up every half hour for an entire day if I eat so much as a slice of avocado but I seem to be absolutely fine with avocado oil in cooked/baked meals or in salad dressings.

amother
  Aconite

Post Today at 10:12 am
amother Ultramarine wrote:
Same with me. I'm allergic to avocados as in I'll throw up every half hour for an entire day if I eat so much as a slice of avocado but I seem to be absolutely fine with avocado oil in cooked/baked meals or in salad dressings.

Wow, I also get sick from eating avocado but I just assumed it was a sensitivity rather than allergy. I also have no issues with avocado oil.

paperflowers

Post Today at 11:10 am
On the one hand, if you have an allergy you need to tell your host. I only use avocado oil and olive oil and it wouldn't occur to me to disclose that unless you ask. But also, thank you informing me that it is a relatively common allergen so I know to be aware of that possibility.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking