Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Ds has temper when hungry

amother
OP

Post Yesterday at 5:15 pm
Ds 10 comes home from cheder starved. If I don't have supper in a plate that he likes he gets ANGRY! Throws stuff! Spills stuff! Smashes stuff! Kicks me! Yells im hungry im hungry!
He's very specific with what he likes and gives me orders what to make.
I know this and try to have supper ready but if im still warming up something or it's not something he loves his fuse goes off.
Bh as soon as he EATS he's an adorable sweet 10 year old boy.
BUT I don't forget sooo fast!

amother
Springgreen

Post Yesterday at 5:17 pm
Give him an extra snack or 2 to eat on the bus on the way home.

amother
Thistle  

Post Yesterday at 5:40 pm
It's usually an adrenal/cortisol/blood sugar issue.

When blood sugar drops low, your body thinks it's starving and starts pumping out cortisol which sends the nervous system into fight flight.

One way to stop the cycle is by keeping blood sugar more steady which is done by not spiking insulin. So pairing carbs with fats and proteins or skipping the carbs altogether.

Another way to hack this is by supporting the adrenal glands so it doesn't freak out every time blood sugar is a little low. Adding electrolytes and whole food c to his drink throughout the day is a good way to do this. A supplement like this can go a long way https://www.bioray.com/product.....w_wcB

Raizle  

Post Yesterday at 5:42 pm
I think you have a mix of hanger and emotional dysregulation.
The hanger part is normal, the dysregulation part needs to be dealt with.
Yes give him more food to eat on the way home but the emotional dysregulation will show up in other areas if it's not dealt with. Its not ok for a 10 year old to be tantruming like that, especially not kicking you. I think you need to seek out professional support and advice.

Raizle  

Post Yesterday at 5:46 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
It's usually an adrenal/cortisol/blood sugar issue.

When blood sugar drops low, your body thinks it's starving and starts pumping out cortisol which sends the nervous system into fight flight.

One way to stop the cycle is by keeping blood sugar more steady which is done by not spiking insulin. So pairing carbs with fats and proteins or skipping the carbs altogether.

Another way to hack this is by supporting the adrenal glands so it doesn't freak out every time blood sugar is a little low. Adding electrolytes and whole food c to his drink throughout the day is a good way to do this. A supplement like this can go a long way https://www.bioray.com/product.....w_wcB

This makes sense too, although a part of me questions, shouldn't a 10 year old have more control over his responses?

I don't know, OP try this suggestion but do pay attention to how he reacts in other situations if they are also extreme or not

amother
  Thistle

Post Yesterday at 5:49 pm
Raizle wrote:
This makes sense too, although a part of me questions, shouldn't a 10 year old have more control over his responses?

I don't know, OP try this suggestion but do pay attention to how he reacts in other situations if they are also extreme or not
You're right that there is a dysregulation piece because not everyone will act like that even when they're staaaarving, but that's the adrenal/cortisol piece. Kids who are well regulated have nervous systems that don't go into fight-flight so quickly, iow their adrenals work better to respond to stress without freaking out. Dysregulation is physiological/neurological.

amother
Peru

Post Yesterday at 6:15 pm
You can explain to him by this age that he needs to control his temper.

The way he can control his temper is by eating a snap on the way home from school, maybe an apple or something, even if he's not in the mood of it.

Your goals for him to learn his cues and to always eat before he reaches that starved state.

amother
Burntblack

Post Yesterday at 9:57 pm
What if you gave him a yogurt and string cheese right when he comes in and serve supper afterwards? And a drink?

amother
Catmint

Post Yesterday at 10:10 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
You're right that there is a dysregulation piece because not everyone will act like that even when they're staaaarving, but that's the adrenal/cortisol piece. Kids who are well regulated have nervous systems that don't go into fight-flight so quickly, iow their adrenals work better to respond to stress without freaking out. Dysregulation is physiological/neurological.

Besides the kicking it’s not so abnormal. 10
Year olds are still learning about life, it’s hard to find any that are “regulated” when we have unrealistic expectations we end up seeing problems where there aren’t. It’s ok for him to be learning. Obviously she needs to set boundaries and physical attacks are unacceptable.

amother
Coffee

Post Yesterday at 11:42 pm
Just saying my daughter is exactly the same. The term HANGRY changed my whole perspectove. I try so hard to have dinner ready but if not a bowl of cereal can be very filling.

The adrenaline thing makes alot of sense bc sometimes shell even flip out that she doesn't like the dinner when Ivknow she really does. She's in that fight or flight "feed me or I'll bite you" mood

Its been helping letting her do the meal planning, I bought a white board that she fills out with dinner suggestions for the week.

Raizle

Post Today at 12:39 am
OP, I'm very interested in what thistle is saying. Can you please update down the track if you try the tips she suggested and if it helped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children